Gold I still wish I had

Most of this is mine, some from my hunting friends. I sure wish I had enough to get me a 4000. It broke my heart to have to sell mine, just to get some transportation. I guess thats why, or part of it, I haven't been hunting except about 6 times since I had to sell it. I loved that detector, And my goal is to get another, not a 4500, but a 4000. My wish. Grubstake

I've been really depressed, been having dreams about Nam for the past two months, Down, because its too hot to detect, and no one to go with. wifes and my checks have been cut by $80.00 a month, everything just loading up on me. So right now I only have hope. thats what is getting me by. If I lose that. I'm out of here. Grubstake

grubstake

the 4000 are going pretty cheap now that nobody has a job or money now days hang in there you will get one then the nuggets will show up :D

Magnificent Specimens! Truly an awesome memory...You cannot lose those! Hang on threw the lean times and one day you will bonce back...I will say some prays for you...Guido

Grubstake,

Hang in there buddy! When the weather cools down, maybe we can hook up for a hunt. I have a 4000 that you can use if we do. Too bad you are so far or I would get you out for a short morning hunt before the heat. Keep showing those pictures. It makes me really want to get out and into some gold. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

Yeh, I keep hoping, but you have to go before you can find. My 2200 is good, but I have to say, the 4000 hads it hands down. Been talking to Jim Owens, he re-tired to Carson City, he says its cheap living up there, cheaper than here anyway. We have had to cut back on everything, not much more we can cut, maybe a yard sale. The GOV. of Calf. is cutting out so much, and Nev. still has it. I'm too old to try and move anywhere, and I don't want too! But you never know. My next move might be in the hospital, the way I have been lately. Not good. its eatting me up, because I want to hunt. But its no fun by yourself. Grubstake

You Know Gaine, I went to work at 13 years old, my first min. wage job, had taxes taken out, and worked all through high scool, then 7 years in the Army, two tours in Nam, three years in Germany, got out, and that same day. Went to work driving longhaul truck, that was in 73 I got of the road in 1989 and worked at Bagby Rec. on the Merced river for 5 years, then went back on the road driving for two more years, Got hurt, had 5 cervical fusions, and was off for a year and a half. Then the day before I was to go back on the road, I had my second major heart attack. Was life flighted to Fresno, 7 days in intencive care, since then, I've had 8 more heart attacks. yeh our system sucks, when your an illegal and never paid a dollar into the system and can draw more than I do! Now thats the flat truth about it, and its getting worse. I would go to work, but like the judge said at my SSI hearing. Who is going to hire an old guy with heart issues? and other medical problems? NO! one! Grubstake

I've paid fedral,state, fica, social security, since 1962 Thats somewhere around 40 years, because I've been drawing on it for around 7 or so. Grubstake

You might feel a bit alone down there, but many really are pulling for you and care a bunch. Those Nam dreams still rumble through my brain on occasion too. It certainly does not make things any easier, but when I wake up I am so glad to be alive and Home!

You know what Steve your right, its rougher on my wife than me some nights, I never did tell her or anyone else the whole story of what went on over there, Mostly good memories of the guys I was with. But some really bad days and nights over there for me. I saw it all, being in a medical unit,most of my time there. After 40+ years, I wish I never would have these dreams anymore. Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Grubstake,

Well I wish I lived in Mariposa. I would let you use my GPX-4500. Don't worry buddy, we will figure something out for you when the weather turns around. Most importantly take care of you and your families health and well-being for the time, we will figure something out for you.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

I'll be coming your way soon heading for briceburg and bagby and give you a call the day before maybe we can catch some breakfast and chat a bit grubstake

Gary, you're a good man charlie brown, you have made some amazing discoveries with nuggets over the years many of us can only hope for.

This may sound real dumb to you but its worked for me all my life, when yer feelin real down , down so low you have to pull yer socks off to look up, REMEMBER theres ALWAYS someone who's much worse off than you , its just the truth.

An things will get better.

I wish I lived closer to ya I'd get you out detecting with that 2200, an with your experience you'll be findin some more of those beautiful nuggies maybe lucky enough to grab enough to sell or trade off for the 4000 you want.

Keep yer chin up an don't forget it, I feel for ya an I know you can turn it around kid.

Grub & others

The thing that really irritates me is that people like grub have spent there life working there ass off to make an honest living, served this country faithfully, paid more than their far share of taxes while others who haven't come to this country and suck off the government tit and contribute nothing. I for one say thank you Grub for all you have done and all the others like you!!!

Wes

Grubstake. With health issues it may not be good to go alone, but I find that I prefer hunting alone. There are a lot of plusses. No time constraints, you don't have to work around anothers agenda, You go when you feel like it , you come home when you feel like it, you go at your preferred pace , nobody yackin at you, you don't have to worry about your buddy getting lost, there is a lot of peace in being alone. That's just a few points. I may be a little anti -social and kind of a hermit , although there are a few freinds who I really enjoy a day out detecting with. They tend to be like me and don't mind detecting alone either and they go their way, and I go mine, we always seem to end up back at the car at about the same time or we end up in the same gully miles away from where we started, Detecting alone can have it's own rewards and the last thing that would stop me from going detecting would be lack of someone to go with. I've never thought of detecting as a social event . Find a relatively safe place to go and get out and enjoy life. Find that new patch while alone and it's all yours. Be selfish , you've done your share helping others and fighting for our country. It's about you now. All of us over 60 know our time here on earth is limited, and I've often expressed the thought that I'd rather die out in the hills than in a rest home and I have visions of them prying my detector out of my shriveled up hand to stuff me in the body bag. Doesn't bother me in the least thinking that may happen. I don't even tell anyone where I'm going because I usually don't have a clue where that may be. I let my hunches do the driving. That's another plus of going alone, you go where YOU want to go. Re-think the hunting alone thing. You may just find that you prefer it that way. In the meantime, try to cheer up. The heat won't last for long and there are still lots of untapped patches out there, maybe one that will solve your financial problems.----Bob

I do hunt sometimes here in town alone, but when you have a caring{maybe overly so} wife like I have, and when you have 9 stents, 8 heart attacks in 5 years+ a stroke, and On the last heart attack, coded twice in the hospital. well you see most of the places I know where the big gold is, and still haven't had a PI detector on them are atleast a mile walk in some farther, And your wife tells you find someone to go with! Because your not walking in that far by yourself. It puts a kink in things. No I'm not afraid of dieing, sometimes I wish it come. But my wife is afraid of it, she doesn't know what she would do. The DRS. Already said: I'm going to be really lucky to make it another 5 years if that long. I just take things as they come. Its my fault, I stated smoking when I was 10 years old, still smoking, like a dummy, but it calms me. I've tried everyway to stop, patches, cold turkey, anti-depressents, they only made it worse. All the years I spent driving truck, 18 hours a day living on coffee and smokes, eating when ever I had time, or not eatting at all. Got ulsers, a herniea, 5 verabrea fused in my neck, bad hip, that they want to re-place and I won't let them, My whole family has heart problems, my mother, her 4 sisters, my grandfarther died from a heart attack 20 years ago, one of my uncles on my mothers side, die at 50 with a heart attack. I have prostrate problems, exposer to agent orange, Blood infections all the time. In other words, I've lived a nice full life, been in every state, been around the world while in the Army. Lost to younger brothers due to them drinking and being drug addits. I have never drank in my life, or done drugs. my life is what it is, I love my hobby, I love helping people get started doing it. Jim Straight helped me and I'm just passing it on. On a different note, I'm planning to write an article for ICMJ soon, in fact in the next few weeks. Keep an eye out for it, if reno Chris likes it. Grubstake Like Forest Gump said: Life is like a box of Chocolates, You just never know what you'll get. Well you guys are stuck with me for awhile! Ha! Ha!

• Admin

Hey Grubstake,

Well, I respect any person that has served this great country, worked as hard as you have and still willing to go out of your way to help others. This is exactly what you have done. When Dennis and I were in Mariposa at your house, it was one of the greatest feeling I had. I just watched you as you talked about the history and gold around the area. I not only seen the passion and honestly in your eyes, but felt it.

Grubstake, you might never be rewarded here on Earth, but I can tell you for a fact, the Good Lord has a long lists of things you have done that has makes Him happy!

Wishing you the best of health and wellness my friend.

Hoping to get back up there next year.

Rob Allison

I'll be glad to have you come ROB, and Dennis too. It was a great time with you guys. I know where some new patches are, that take a bit of walking, Can't take atv's in there, and its about a mile or two walk just to get in. Great thing is none if any PI detectors have been in there, and theres a chance for really big gold. In fact I know there is. Gary I just can't go in by myself.