Can I just build a dredge out of a trash pump and a sluice box?

Yeh, you should be able to make a good sucking 3 inch, with that pump, if you use a nozzle instead of a jet tube. that pump will put out about 145-150 gals a minute. I had a 5 inch that ran on 350 a minute pump, the jet tube has to be jetted at a 21 degree angle for max. suction. I used a 5 1/2 inch pipe for the jet, with a 3/4 in orfice, Grubstake

• Admin

Hello Zippo,

The problem with trash pumps is they don't have the lift or GPM as some of the other high end pumps/engines. I've seen many of these trash pumps and they never seem to have the lift when you're down 5+ foot underwater.

With the pump you mentioned you might be able to run a small 2-inch, maybe 3-inch, but it could be iffy.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Zippo,

Something else you might consider is "Booming" Running a dredge outside the active water way.

I just got back from the New 49er claims in on the Klamath in Norcal. It took a while to make it work right but I was able to run my 4 inch dredge

up out of the river. I used a 3 inch semi-trash pump to fill a big hole with water. That 3 inch pump can put out a lot of water. I put the dredge in the hole.

It is important that only relatively clean water go into the dredge pump so I put the output of the 3 inch pump into a large bucket, the foot valve for the dredge pump goes into the bucket so that it only sucks up clean water. The overflow of the bucket goes into the hole to keep it full for the nozzle.

After some trial and error I make it work pretty well. In order to do this you need a pretty big pump to keep ahead of the nozzle.

Also, it is very important to not let any runnoff from the sluice back into the river. You must have a settling pond of some kind.

Ken