Gold Near Snelling

I've been detecting near Snelling a few times, around the old tailings located there...no luck yet, anyone have any luck beteween merced falls and Snellig with your detector? What size? gold in quartz?....oh and is it legal to pan and hand sluice the gravels in the river near there? any luck that way?

Thanks,

Leon

99% of that bucket drege tailings are on private land, getting permission is the trick, Some gold gold has been found in those tailings, size varies. Up around Moccasin Creek theres some really nice gold, parts are claimed, In fact back in the early 60's my brother and I both had ajioning claims. the gold is in the blue clay seams between the slate, hard work to break it open, but it pays off very good. Good luck with Snelling. Grubstake

99% of that bucket drege tailings are on private land, getting permission is the trick, Some gold gold has been found in those tailings, size varies. Up around Moccasin Creek theres some really nice gold, parts are claimed, In fact back in the early 60's my brother and I both had ajioning claims. the gold is in the blue clay seams between the slate, hard work to break it open, but it pays off very good. Good luck with Snelling. Grubstake

Thanks for the reply Grubstake,

I have access to a claim, on Moccasin creek and have done ok with small stuff, and the gold is just where u said it is, clay between the bedrock,....i ran it through my sluice and panned it, small stuff but lots of it...are those tailings on the right side of the road (the 49) with the "no camping" signs under claim, or owned be state or blm?...i know just down from there (about .25 mile) there are no trespessing signs.

Are the public fishig areas in Snelling open to the public?

Sorry too bombard you with questions, have you tried the creek the runs near the "red hills" behind chinese camp....there seems to be a lot of good bed rock but it looks like rattle snake heaven.

Got a good friend that lives in China Camp, he told me he found better gold, at the look out parking are, down on the side of the banks going down stream. at Lake Don Pedro. Never tried so I don't know for sure, I know Woods Creek comes in right there. so It could be some really good stuff. Belongs to MID Modesto Irrigation District. I think the no camping place on Moccosin Creek is BLM, but you have to check it may be under claim. Right up where Rattlesnake creek comes in, up stream back in the early 70's they hit a pocket that was worth close to a $1,000,000.00 I heard. I was still in the army then. So it was word of mouth. Grubstake

Hey Grubstake, back in the 1968-69 era before the dam was built and on rt 49 there was a restaurant and gift shop just before the bridge. I camped along the river on the other side of the bridge and thewre was a creek coming into the river there. 2 things, first upstream of the river at the bridge i found a cave carved out of limestone with a whopping ass fig tree at the entrance where someone lived back in the day.

The stream that came into the river had a gravel bar and I got several pickers per pan back then. All underwater now.

I also got a ticket for no fishing license when the game warden caught me with a leader and a Salmon egg on the hook. dangling in the water, gosh i never heard him sneak up on me. Good times back then. Wyndham

I've been detecting near Snelling a few times, around the old tailings located there...no luck yet, anyone have any luck beteween merced falls and Snellig with your detector? What size? gold in quartz?....oh and is it legal to pan and hand sluice the gravels in the river near there? any luck that way?

Thanks,

Leon

So my wife let me play hooky from work, and i went over to the Snelling area with my V/sat....It was hot, my goodness was it hot out today, after a couple hours I found small piece of gold sticking out of some quartz (my first gold with a detector), it was so hot it was hard to focus...I also, found 6 lead sinkers, and lots of pop tops, a few .22 shells....

-Leon