Dutch Flat District NV

Okay, so Black Hills Ron and I (his wife) are heading south next month! We will go through Idaho to see my son's new farm, then we want to try Rye Patch. But before we get there, we've been thinking of trying something new - the Dutch Flat District north of Winnemucca. I checked Jim Klein's description in his book of the district, looked at it on Geocommunicator to see how its claimed and owned, and Google-Earthed it to see how the roads are. Black Hills Ron runs a Minelab 4000 rather than a drywasher. So does anyone have any advice for us about this area? I always feel overwhelmed going to a new area and as Ron's navigator I worry about missing "the spot" by a matter of a few miles (like we did at Rye Patch the first time we were there)! Thanks for your comments!

Okay, so Black Hills Ron and I (his wife) are heading south next month! We will go through Idaho to see my son's new farm, then we want to try Rye Patch. But before we get there, we've been thinking of trying something new - the Dutch Flat District north of Winnemucca. I checked Jim Klein's description in his book of the district, looked at it on Geocommunicator to see how its claimed and owned, and Google-Earthed it to see how the roads are. Black Hills Ron runs a Minelab 4000 rather than a drywasher. So does anyone have any advice for us about this area? I always feel overwhelmed going to a new area and as Ron's navigator I worry about missing "the spot" by a matter of a few miles (like we did at Rye Patch the first time we were there)! Thanks for your comments!

BHRon,

Give Gerry McMullen out of Boise ID a shout - gerrys1det@cableone.net. He holds training at Rye Patch and can possibly tell you something about the Dutch Flat District. He has a friend who helps him out at his training camp - Mark out of Lovelock NV. He might be able to put you on some spots.

h20prospector

Not the best, or most specific, but clikking on the links at the far left may provide summary info or mines sites and commodities.

http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/mdfiles/mdfiles.php

you don't have to fill in all the blanks to get results. in your case, in the first box just type in Dutch Flat, then do the search

http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/scans/1590/15900014.pdf

BHron. Don't know the present claims status, but I can help you with the other questions. The road is very good right to the placer area (Exremely dusty as all No. Nevada roads are in summer), but smooth and maintained gravel. It is a small very localized placer and because of the easy access has been hit hard. Also very trashy. There may be other undiscovered patches in the area . Some hiking may pay off. It's only 1/2 hour out of Winnemucca, so is an easy stop. Good luck!!----Bob

Hey Montana... See the photo in the center of "ADVANCED... " Mercury Retort.

I took it over 20 years ago at Dutch Flat Nv... Some thin flat nuggets have

been recovered there... as large as six pennyweights (again back in 1991)....

The primitive candlestick (photo) was recovered in American Canyon.

The four oz. nugget (photo) was found in Willow Creek as stated in the caption...

Bet'cha recognize the "knob" shown on the back cover? I was first there in 1957

with the intention to do a little drywashing... then with an early Minelab VLF

I hunted there again. Actually over the years I have been "drawn" to this broad

area many times... As I know you know, there are many square miles scattered

around the "knob" with gold channels. Overburden shallow, varies, about one

to two feet...

Unfortunately, with the economy and current interest in gold, as mentioned,

Dutch Flat could be well claimed. As Montana mentioned, just to a little scouting

around. But being just a few miles from Winnemucca not good... It could be

worthwhile to check the status with the local Winnemucca BLM office...

Garry McMullen has a very informative article on "finding gold nuggets in

"tailings & placer digs" within the 2009 Silver & Gold Annual which is put out

by the same folks that publish Western & Eastern Treasure.

Montana, Ron wants to know if you know of a coil that reaches to the bedrock at 12 feet - Hah! (that's where bedrock is here, I guess)

Whats4supper, that is an awesome link that will certainly help us in researching Nevada a little better! Thank you for that!

Thanks for all your advice - Ron and wife

BHron. Jim is probably right about it being currently under claim. I know there have been quite a few nuggets found there , but years ago, probably from the exposed bedrock where the bulldozer miners left it open . Lots of overburden piles there that most likely have a few nuggets in them , but they are full of lots of trash. The place has been worked and reworked for a hundred years or so . The lower part of the placer area has been reclaimed with tailings respread over the bedrock along with more trash . It's one of those devastated areas that Just don't get me excited at all. If I lived in Winnemucca and had permission to hunt it, I might spend an occassional morning giving it a try or searching the surrounding area . The steeper hillsides and ridgetops have some exposed bedrock and if one got real lucky he might find an uneroded pocket in the rhyolite formation of the area. I'd say it's a tough spot by anyones standard . I'd much rather pound the Rye patch area where trash is at a minimum and the gold spread over a vast area with the occasional new small patch still being discovered by those working the fringes.----Bob

Montana... Thanks for supporting my post... I understand the bulldozers were

looking for "rare earth" minerals. If you remember Reid Kinsella of "Zephyr Metal

Detectors" in Florida about 1990, he gave me information on where to go...

There was a caretaker back then that originally gave Reid the information and Reid

recovered some nice nuggets... Although Reid lived in Melbourne Florida, he

nuggethunted in California, Arizona, and Nevada and had quite a nose for gold.

One thing I will add... I was there during deerhunting season and there were

many hunters around the area. This was back in October, 1991.

Montana, Dutch John Great info on the area, I hunted the area in the 80's and 90's and the best advice I can give is hunt outside the box. There is a patch just over the north ridge up in a little basin I found in the 90"s is just above those cone piles(test holes) big company dug. Took out a couple ounces and Im sure we left a few, we were swinging older technology back then and haven't been back since. Good Luck. Aznuggetbob

AZnuggetBob. That's exactly what I felt about the area. Some exploring could turn up some minor extensions of the placer area since the geology remains the same for many square miles to the east, north, and south and in fact there is a major gold mine on the east side of the range of hills. Experienced nuggethunters like yourself know from experience that working beyond the hotspots that the oldtimers were able to find with their crude methods can pay big rewards to a detectorist. We can sample a huge area in a few hours for eluvial patches that were easy for the oldtimers to miss. In these days of the well known patches being hit with the fantastic detectors we now have , the real future of detecting is more than ever a matter of getting off the beaten path and being willing to accept a lot of skunk days . This takes a lot of time and someone with only a few days to spend in an area might be better off to stick to the known areas. ----Bob

Montana and Az.... Both you are posting good information... actually it was while

I was at Dutch Flat in early October 1991, while trying to find the area (following his

directions) where Reid found several ounces of eluvial gold I realized that the fringe

areas were less pounded... but one of our members, Dean, found the before

mentioned flat nugget and several bits were found at... At the time

Dean was taking a short cut to our vehicles

I moved the group to our secondary spot... It was here we hit the jackpot... This

was also an area that had been overlooked.... Back then we were various

detectors... I was mainly swinging a original Gold Bug with the 7-inch coil...

Hye a Compass Gold Scanner, Jack a Goldmaster II, Dean a GT-16000, Don

a Goldmaster II, George was using an original Gold Bug with the standard

coil... We accidentally did everything right... we on line detecting up a slope

toward old workings... It was Jack that beeped the first two nuggets...

I'm now going to the outskirts of placer areas where a tell-tale nugget was once

found and gridding... I agree that today's detectors are better than most of

the ones back in the 1990's... But today, gold is very elusive so it all seems

to balance out... I remember "sighting" surface nuggets (sunbakers) at Ryepatch

and even at Middle Camp during the early 1980's...

P.S. As I remember the bulldozer activity at Dutch Flat... they were supposedly

looking for "lanthasides" (rare earth) excuse my spelling.