Digging a gold nugget with the GPX-4500

• Admin

Hello All,

Here is a short Youtube video I created last weekend. My partner is digging a Dwt plus sized gold nugget from the side wall. Due to the amount of high mineralization, hotrocks, basalts and EMI, the Enhance mode has always been one of my favorites. However, this video shows a quick example of how the Special/Extra timing sound much stronger on this nugget over the Enhance timing.

The Enhance timing kind of drooped down, while the Special/Extra timing gave a good, strong Hi-Low hit.

Here is the video link -

The gold nugget was found with a Minelab GPX-4500 Metal Detector and Coiltek Goldstalker 14-inch elliptical Mono Searchcoil. The nugget was extracted from an ancient channel 10+ foot below the surface. The old-timers were digging tunnels or "Coyote Holes" in this channel on bedrock chasing the best nugget gold. Reports say many of the miners were doing 2+ ounces per day in the late 1800's.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Good show Rob, I enjoyed that. The material there is real solid, would be a lot of work to dig a big hole. Makes me want to fire up my detector soon. I have recovered over a pound dredging so far so may have to keep that going a bit longer. take care, Bob

Rob. I have old fashioned dial up so videoes load very slow but from your text , I gathered what you are talking about. Whenever the ground I'm detecting is fairly mellow I use the special/ extra timings for just that reason, but you got me thinking a couple of weeks ago when you posted that you really like the Enhanced timing , so I've been experimenting a lot with that lately and am beginning to like it more now in certain ground types. Unlike when I'm running in extra where I almost always leave my audio in quiet, now while running in enhanced I run the audio in Boost and the stabilizer at 3 and it seems to bring up the signal quite nicely without too much interference. Lots of things on that 4500 to experiment with. ----Bob

• Admin

Hey Bob,

Ya, if you can get the video to load, you will hear the difference between the two timing modes. I used the Sensitive/Extra mode a bunch on the GPX-4000 along with the Sensitive/Smooth, but really got spoiled when the GPX-4500 came out with the Enhance timing. However, lately I've been playing around with a couple of other settings trying to find what works best in different spots.

I agree, when you're using the Enhance timing you can get away with Deep or Boost Audio, but can't stand those Audio settings in the Special/Extra mode. Just too noisy ....

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Well, I gotta say, old stick in the mud as I am, my enhanced timing is "on" and my "sensitive smooth" is " louder" with my combo pocket rocket and Doc's enhancer with my antique Baboo sd2100....But it still works :):):D Cheers, Unc

Unc,

I've seen many posts you've made, and you speak highly of Baboo. I've got the SD2200V2, and only use the pocket rocket. With the enhancer do you still use headphones or does the enhancer allow you to not use them? You got to ask these kind of questions or you'll never learn to use your equipment to it's fullest potential. Thanks.

h20prospector