found this yesturday burried on top of some bedrock....soft, polishes easy, has a stoney growth on the rogh flat side, round and smoothe on the other not much wider than a penny about 5xs as thick in its thisckest point....not sure what it is....i'm guesing its man made, perhaps lead? lefter over from welding? why does it have the stoney material sligtly sticking out from the back? Found near Moccasin creek. pics are on the post below.

found this yesturday burried on top of some bedrock....soft, polishes easy, has a stoney growth on the rogh flat side, round and smoothe on the other not much wider than a penny about 5xs as thick in its thisckest point....not sure what it is....i'm guesing its man made, perhaps lead? lefter over from welding? why does it have the stoney material sligtly sticking out from the back? Found near Moccasin creek.

Here is a link to the photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25121004@N02/

• Admin

Hello Gold Lover,

I agree with DigDeep. It sure looks like a fragment of lead, but then again it could be native Galena, which is very common in gold bearing areas. You will find some strange pieces of metal out there, some you can ID, others can be a mystery.

Thanks for posting the find.

Rob Allison

Hello Gold Lover,

I agree with DigDeep. It sure looks like a fragment of lead, but then again it could be native Galena, which is very common in gold bearing areas. You will find some strange pieces of metal out there, some you can ID, others can be a mystery.

Thanks for posting the find.

Rob Allison

yea my wife thought it was discharged lead from a large bullet or a shot gun slug mostly because that one side is rather rounded, the flat/rough side has a non metal stone material, calcite material...and looks very natural (nuggetesq) but is most def. some type of lead....I have never heard of galena before...when im back in that area Ill take note if come acros any more of this material...in a different size or shape...thanks for the input

Your pictures don't show enough detail. I'd say take it to a university geology dept and have them check it out. it's free, and fairly precise. many such depts know all about previous finds in specific areas, and that could help you.

If it's something potentially valuable, stake a claim and find a buyer (interested mining company) for the commodity.