Heart surgery

Not to worry JIm, Dorthy, my mother, my daughter and my sister are all going to be there to keep me in line. Dorthy has it in her head, that something will happen this time out, because my DR. told her my heart was so bad, lots of damage, That last heart attack, did lot of bad things and I was clinicly dead twice. So she's worried. I really don't think I'll be in for more than a day, but I was in intences care for 7 days last time. Funny it only seemed like a day to me. I got lots of gold to find before I kick off, beside's Jerry {sandtrap} is coming up the last part of the month to hunt three days with me in OCT. Grubstake

I'll add a prayer as well, can't have too many of those when going into the hospital, even if you are an old hand at heart surgery, it couldn't be a total cakewalk. Hope you feel ten years younger several months after the aftermath of surgery.

Rex

Hey Grubstake

This is fact about what I'm going to tell you.People who know they have trouble and take care of it will live longer than those of us that don't know we have anything wrong.Being when it hits us we don't have time to kiss our butts goodby.Alot never go to the Dr. for a checkup until it's just too late.

With you,you can do this standing on your head.I don't know how you could go wrong with all of us praying for you.

Chuck Anders

PS When I go to my Dr. the first thing he wants me to do is :spank: and then he puts on his rubber gloves.I told him one time that I had told the guy I work with that every time I walk into your office you start putting the gloves on and we are not even going steady. :blush: Then he tells me it's just one a-- hole looking at another a-- hole.

Well I go in at 11:00 Am in the morning. Going to be a long day tomarrow. See you all when I get home. I hope Minelab fixes my 4000 in time for me to hunt. They should have it today or tomarrow. Grubstake

Grubstake,

Best of luck, and I'll offer a prayer for you and your family; you'll be chasing after gold with your 4000 in no time.

h20prospector

on the flip flop? Maybe we should have set you up with a flip flop pool. everyone could guess how many times the doctor flip flops you... And the Winner Is???? Of course, the process would take an impartial observer....

For all you dudes and gals out there, believe you me, TAKE THE TIME to get your heart checked out by a reputable cardiologist. It's a fairly easy test- 5 minutes on a treadmill while wired up, an EKG (Painless), and an ultrasound (cold k-y jelly).

If you don't and have a heart attack, you'll be in the hospital at least 4 days. You'll be hooked up to all sorts of wires, needles, in a bed postion not at all comfortable. For many, it will also include an angiogram (usually the right leg groin area) where a skiiny and long wire is fed up into the heart and burning contrast dye is injected a bit at time. The angiogram, from prep to finish is about 1-2 hours but can be longer than that depending on what is found, how to take care of it, and who the doctor has to call to also look at the problem (usually a vascular surgeon).

If, like Gary, a stent is indicated, these can be placed and the person sent home within a few hours afterwards, depending on how many stents are placed. A stent looks pretty much like the small little spring found in many ballpoint pens, some bigger, some smaller.

If you are a candidate for a pacemaker, the tests are simple, or they can be complex. I had a EP Study once, which is probably the most potential for danger in the hospital, danger as in dying right there. It's not a comfortable test and lasts several hours. The basis for that is to figure out the electrical problems within the heart or controlling the heart. For one portion of the test, you are out cold. Then, they wake you up and start in the second part which is pushing your heart to the max as a means to purposely induce failure (Heart Attack) then pulling you back from the brink. For some, this is the only way to find the problem.

I could talk about open heart surgery but that is a little graphic. It's pretty interesting, but for the uninitiated, it's not a comfortable situation to know about.

SO, DO GET A CARDIO WORKUP (With a Cardiologist). Maybe all you need is simple pill to control the problem; for some, not even that, but peace of mind.

Or somebody may decide to play flip flop bingo with you...

Well its 9 pm, I just got home, the angiogram showed I have three stoped up atteries, but they are too small to get a stent in, he told me they had some new meds out, he hopes will take care of the problem, I can't lift anything for two weeks at all . And will be getting my new meds sometime in the next few days, If that don't fix it, I'll be suffering from heart pain for a long time. So today was a 12 hour day at the hospital for me, and yeh they cut into the femoral attery, and I drove myself home, but have to watch any straining as it could rupture and then I'll bleed out. Grubstake

Gary,

Been sending thoughts your way all day (and evening).

I am glad to know you are home.

You must have astounded the doctors when you drove yourself back home.

Even though your physical heart is on the mend

your real heart is is perfect shape.

Get better soon there's good hunting weather just around the bend.

Flak

Yeh, the nurse's said you can't drive yourself home!, I said my DR. lets me everytime, my wife doesn't drive, and I've done it 10 times before! Now this is # 11. I'm sore, and although I'm not suposed to, Grocery day is tomarrow, all day in Merced. I just have watch out I don't start bleeding. It a hundred mile drive from the hospital to my house, and 48 miles to Merced tomarrow one way. I ain't no panty waist. So its no sweat. Grubstake

Yeh, the nurse's said you can't drive yourself home!, I said my DR. lets me everytime, my wife doesn't drive, and I've done it 10 times before! Now this is # 11. I'm sore, and although I'm not suposed to, Grocery day is tomarrow, all day in Merced. I just have watch out I don't start bleeding. It a hundred mile drive from the hospital to my house, and 48 miles to Merced tomarrow one way. I ain't no panty waist. So its no sweat. Grubstake

Grubstake,

Glad to hear your home safe, and somewhat sound. You talking about shopping in Merced takes me back to the 60's when I used to drive to there from Stockton and have a good time with the Merced Blue Notes. Only for prospecting would I ever step foot back into California. Left in 64,and only drove through the state after I got married in Seattle in 73.

Again, good to hear your home.

h20prospector

Grubstake, hope your trip to get groceries goes well. I was thinkin' bout sayin' something bout tellin' da nursie that she could drive ya home if she was so worried bout ya and you could tell your wife "Look what brung me home. Can I keep her?", but then I remembered some of the stories you've told bout your lovely wife and then I thought "Bad idea!" LOLOL

Best of everything to ya'll.

Kajun