Funky Rock and A Belt Buckle

Was able to go ot a little yesturday...to hot to rake rocks off the red dirt to look for gold so detected on some exposed bedrock way up on a hillside near an old hydrolic site.....found a really neat old belt buckle, and this mystery rock....it's about the size of a sinker...very heavy for its size...feels like metal looks like a regular rock until I blow up the pic....made my Vsat scream. Sticks to magnets almost like it was super glued on. I'll try and attach the pics if not I'll adda link to my Flikr photos.

post-28487-1254239654_thumb.jpg

post-28487-1254240104_thumb.jpg

post-28487-1254240237_thumb.jpg

Was able to go ot a little yesturday...to hot to rake rocks off the red dirt to look for gold so detected on some exposed bedrock way up on a hillside near an old hydrolic site.....found a really neat old belt buckle, and this mystery rock....it's about the size of a sinker...very heavy for its size...feels like metal looks like a regular rock until I blow up the pic....made my Vsat scream. Sticks to magnets almost like it was super glued on. I'll try and attach the pics if not I'll adda link to my Flikr photos.

the rock almost seems like it has a permanant shell or crust on it

Buckle looks to be half of a civil war era buckle what is refered to as the tongue and wreath buckle, a great find, As Jerry stated if you can find the other half it is a great find. Civil war hunters really prize these. I have hunted civil war relics back in VA and never found one, alots of other stuff but not a tongue and wreath. Nice find.

Allen in MT

N D Gold Lover The buckle looks like one half of a civil war buckle. It may have some collectors value, especially if you can find the other half. Jerry

The "rock" looks like a Meteorite to me, it has all the classic signs.

John B. who used to post here is our Meteorite expert. He could tell you or you can send it to the U. of Ariz. and they will tell you and classify it for you, I believe there is no charge for this service.

Doc

Grind a window on the side of the "rock" May be a piece of steel with decomposed rust coating. Good luck, I hope its a space rock.

considering how relatively rare metorites i have my doubts that it is one, mainly becuase I've never found one before...the surface of it however is not rust and seems to be quite a permant feature of this stone,...there is little oxidation on the surface, but the few spot where the surce is broke away there seems to a reddish hew or perhaps a rusty color.....with out magnification the few spots that exist are almost unnoticable since this rock is so small, about the size of pea, or a sinker...weighs 1.5 grams

Nice find, those rocks are tough!

Cooter

Yea those green rocks were killers, i didn't have to much of a problem balancing; even though I'm using Vsat, once i moved the rocks; but the temp was so high I decided to take it easy and puts around on the bedrock about a hunred yards up the hill and to the right...(did you ever find anything up there?) It's much colder now...i plan on going back out and focus on clearing an area near the patch you cleared as soon as I get the time....the clay is really hard, looked like some one else had recently tore into it. Thanks again for the tips.

-leon

Nice find NDN regarding the eagle tongue buckle you found.

LuckyLundy asked me to give you some help in ID'ing what you might have.

What you have is the tongue portion of a tongue & wreath belt buckle that is dead on 1850 - 1855. I am pretty sure that where you are hunting for gold is of course where the 49ers had prospected in the 1850's explaining your find.

It is referred to as a waist belt plate and has smooth belt loops. It was wore on a light leather or an elastic cloth belt. The reverse if you check it out should show that the center disc is actually soldered onto the tongue bar. You are very fortunate that it is still intact as many are found separated from the bar. It also should be a heavy stamped brass piece. The wreath portion would of course also have a smooth wreath and belt loop.

The wreath might also be in the vicinity along with the belt adjuster. I attached a picture of a picture of a friend's buckle that shows what both the pieces look like together.

E-mailIMG_0429.jpg

Also, what the belt adjuster might look like.

E-mailIMG_0350.jpg

Hope this helps. If you are interested in selling it or trading for gold I would be interested in it?

Ironman

Can you post a picture of the reverse?

Leon,

You have gotten some good advice on the ID of your belt buckle, the one thing I might add is to NOT TRY TO CLEAN IT you will decease the value of it if you do try and don't know what you are doing!!! :o

The patina on these belt buckles is a plus, and for sure try to find the rest of the buckle and the adjuster!!

Skip

Leon,

You have gotten some good advice on the ID of your belt buckle, the one thing I might add is to NOT TRY TO CLEAN IT you will decease the value of it if you do try and don't know what you are doing!!! :o

The patina on these belt buckles is a plus, and for sure try to find the rest of the buckle and the adjuster!!

Skip

Thanks, Ill be sure not to clean it....the patina is nice...it has a nice rusty green hue...ill try and find the other section.