Gold Bug 2

Hello to all you GB2 users,

Have any of you experienced loud static, and how did you solve? For the past few months I have been experiencing loud static, and I think it might be the manner in which I have the first few inches of the coil wire connected to the lower shaft. Specifically I think, but am hoping differently, the wires have become broken of frayed near the coil connection. It's the same static I experienced when I had a corded phone and got extreme static when I moved the instrument and about the only way to not encounter the annoying static was to either position the phone just so and not move, or get a new cord. Due to the cost of a complete coil, I'm trying to avoid buying a couple of new ones. Has anyone sent their coils to Fisher for them to check out the problem, and can just the coil wire be replaced? I have two units (one dated back to 94 and the other 2004), and really don't want to send both, plus 3 coils, just to be told the problem is the lower wire. Hopefully the fix is simple. Thanks.

h20prospector

Hello to all you GB2 users,

Have any of you experienced loud static, and how did you solve? For the past few months I have been experiencing loud static, and I think it might be the manner in which I have the first few inches of the coil wire connected to the lower shaft. Specifically I think, but am hoping differently, the wires have become broken of frayed near the coil connection. It's the same static I experienced when I had a corded phone and got extreme static when I moved the instrument and about the only way to not encounter the annoying static was to either position the phone just so and not move, or get a new cord. Due to the cost of a complete coil, I'm trying to avoid buying a couple of new ones. Has anyone sent their coils to Fisher for them to check out the problem, and can just the coil wire be replaced? I have two units (one dated back to 94 and the other 2004), and really don't want to send both, plus 3 coils, just to be told the problem is the lower wire. Hopefully the fix is simple. Thanks.

h20prospector

H20. The cord can be repaired at the box end , but any problem from there on down is usually non repairable including the coil itself. I always consider coils like the shocks on your car . They will go bad eventually and need to be replaced . The coil and wire take all the beating from brush and rocks. The wires in a Fisher coil cable are very small diameter and difficult to repair . I sent one in and they just sent me a new one at a very reasonable cost, much cheaper than retail cost.----Bob

H20. The cord can be repaired at the box end , but any problem from there on down is usually non repairable including the coil itself. I always consider coils like the shocks on your car . They will go bad eventually and need to be replaced . The coil and wire take all the beating from brush and rocks. The wires in a Fisher coil cable are very small diameter and difficult to repair . I sent one in and they just sent me a new one at a very reasonable cost, much cheaper than retail cost.----Bob

Bob,

Thanks. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but your right. Over the years the coils have given me good use, just like the shocks on my car, and it looks as though they have worn out. It's winter here in Colorado, so I will call Fisher Monday and see what they want me to send them, control boxes and coils, or just the coils. Again, thanks.

h20