Gold Bug 2

Hey all Gold Bug 2 users,

Since it's winter here in Colorado thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif , I sent both my GB2 control boxes and 3 coils to Fisher Labs in El Paso, TX to have them checked out. Shipped USPS priority (insure contents packed secure and tightly), and insured for $2000.00. It cost almost $36.00, but worth it should the PO damage or loose the pkg. Insurance is peace of mind!

Just got a call from one of the service techs (Daniel) and was told all checks out thumbsupsmileyanim.gif . He opened the control box, checked the circuity, cleaned, straightened the pins where the coil wire attaches to control box, etc - all is good and like new (one is circa 94, the other 2004).

The noise (static) I was hearing was due to the not having enough slack in the coil wire coming out of the coil. Fisher coils are notorious for making a crackling static noise if they don't have enough slack. His recommendation was to use electricians tape to secure the coil wire rather than the Velcro strips that come with the units; tape secures better.

If any of you GB2 beepers think you might have a problem with your unit, call Felix Calvillo at Fisher Labs, - 1-800-685-5050 ext 118, and explain what you think the problem is. More than likely, he will let you talk to one of the service techs, they will listen and give some GOOD advice, but it's difficult to diagnose without having the unit to check out.

Once I get the bill for the check-up, I'll post that information too.

h20prospector

Hey all Gold Bug 2 users,

Since it's winter here in Colorado thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif , I sent both my GB2 control boxes and 3 coils to Fisher Labs in El Paso, TX to have them checked out. Shipped USPS priority (insure contents packed secure and tightly), and insured for $2000.00. It cost almost $36.00, but worth it should the PO damage or loose the pkg. Insurance is peace of mind!

Just got a call from one of the service techs (Daniel) and was told all checks out thumbsupsmileyanim.gif . He opened the control box, checked the circuity, cleaned, straightened the pins where the coil wire attaches to control box, etc - all is good and like new (one is circa 94, the other 2004).

The noise (static) I was hearing was due to the not having enough slack in the coil wire coming out of the coil. Fisher coils are notorious for making a crackling static noise if they don't have enough slack. His recommendation was to use electricians tape to secure the coil wire rather than the Velcro strips that come with the units; tape secures better.

If any of you GB2 beepers think you might have a problem with your unit, call Felix Calvillo at Fisher Labs, - 1-800-685-5050 ext 118, and explain what you think the problem is. More than likely, he will let you talk to one of the service techs, they will listen and give some GOOD advice, but it's difficult to diagnose without having the unit to check out.

Once I get the bill for the check-up, I'll post that information too.

h20prospector

Just got a call from Fisher Labs. All checks out fine and they will send the units back on Monday. Total cost for diagnostic checks came to a total of $50.00. I feel this is money well spent as I now know for sure that both units and coils all communicate properly with each other. I look forward to spring of next year here in Colorado as it's too cold to beep!

h20

• 4 years later...

So I was thinking since I got to the field with my new to me gb2 that it was making alot of "static." I wasn't sure if it was normal and have been concerned since. :unsure: I have never seen or heard one run until yesterday. Anyways This slack that your talking about???? Where and how do I improve this? that is if anything needs to be improved. The machine is still under

warranty and looks brand new.