Cool Minelab control box cover

I posted this earlier on the classified section, but after thinking about it I believe it really belongs here...Just got this puppy in the mail Saturday and tried it out at Gold Basin. It has a pocket shown in picture, very functional. I put my GPAA card in it. I have played with most covers before and this one is well padded, built, firm foamed with the style and quality of Mil-Spec accessories with combat gear. Comes in Coyote brown, Multicam (in picture provided) and UCP / ACU Digital Camo. Found on eBay under Minelab. Guido...copy and paste address ...http://cgi.ebay.com/Minelab-GP-GPX-SD-Padded-Control-Box-Cover-With-Pouch_W0QQitemZ260500011778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca702bb02

post-21178-1257701240_thumb.jpg

post-21178-1257701276.jpg

post-21178-1257701283.jpg

post-21178-1257701290.jpg

Hey Guido,

I saw them on ebay.....The concept looks good , but I wonder if it is overkill. Also I would give thought as to how much it weighs...

Hello Adam...hows it going...I have used other box covers before and they don't last very long for some reason. The legs of the control box wear threw and not very robust. If you don't use or need a box cover you can defiantly get by without it. For the ones that use it, it does weigh heavier than the typical covers...2.1 ozs to 4.5 ozs for the Eureka version. Obviously it is heavier, is it overkill...considering what a fully equipped prospectors gear is on the fly...the detector, harness, battery, pick, Gatorade and the gold nugget haul of the day the weight is negligible and the price of a GPX4500 is defiantly overkill...but I sure would like to have a GPX4500 and I would do my best to protect it...Guido

Control box covers. Personally I never use one. My thoughts are that electronics hate heat, that is a well known fact. I think the cover will tend to keep heat in and they do not protect the knobs and switches from dust and dirt ? Any other thoughts here?

I kind of look at control box covers like differential covers on my Jeep... You know they will get beat up in the long run from normal wear and tear so why not protect your investment (especially when it's a $4,000+ dollar product). A little bit of money spent now will help keep it in good shape in the long run. I beat the crap out my detectors and a control box cover helps them last longer not to mention it helps the resale value if you ever decide to sell.

That control box cover is slick, if they made a matching arm cuff cover I'd buy a few! I like the military style desert camouflage (especially digital) since it matches the terrain most of us hunt. The pocket is a cool idea, I'm sure I could find some use for it. As for the added weight the functionality and coolness of it far outweigh the little extra weight.

Of course, I think probably the best cover would be some vacuum formed plastic cover that snaps in place over the control box... Maybe some day, it would keep me from having to replace my control box cover twice a year.

I hope to see those along with some matching arm cuff covers and more camouflage choices on the market soon... It's cool and I like it!

Del

Hey Steve, I'm kinda curious to hear what you use to protect your control box because you've got me interested.

As for the whole heat dissipation debate, you're absolutely correct about that because electronics definitaly don't like heat. However if I was going to take a guess I would imagine a dark colored hermetically sealed control box made of 6061 aluminum (high thermal conductivity) getting beat down by the suns radiant heat combined with the heat the printed circuit board produces could be a recipe for disaster. So I would think a control box cover could help by blocking out some of the suns radiant heat and could actually help cool the detector down some.

I know the printed circuit board designers I work with usually design a path in their circuits that removes heat away from the board to a heat sink or something else. In addition their designs have to meet a safety factor requirement (usually ~20+ percent above specification) and they usually figure everything for the worst case scenario. I'm not sure how Minelab manages the heat on their PCB's but I would imagine they probably do the same thing since this is a widely accepted industry standard.

Just my thoughts

Del

Hey Guido,

Who sells those new control box covers? They look nice, just wondering if you sold them or if they are coming from someone else.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Howdy Rob...I got the cover from Ebay...and got it in the mail quick...its not a prospecting company as far as I can tell, a local guy here in Las Vegas NV...I dont know him personaly or ever met him and I dont get any kick backs from him either...He just sells a good product and good products sell themselfs...I am happy with the work that was put into it and it does what it supposed to do. Just sharing information. Guido.....

Hey Steve, I'm kinda curious to hear what you use to protect your control box because you've got me interested.

As for the whole heat dissipation debate, you're absolutely correct about that because electronics definitaly don't like heat. However if I was going to take a guess I would imagine a dark colored hermetically sealed control box made of 6061 aluminum (high thermal conductivity) getting beat down by the suns radiant heat combined with the heat the printed circuit board produces could be a recipe for disaster. So I would think a control box cover could help by blocking out some of the suns radiant heat and could actually help cool the detector down some.

I know the printed circuit board designers I work with usually design a path in their circuits that removes heat away from the board to a heat sink or something else. In addition their designs have to meet a safety factor requirement (usually ~20+ percent above specification) and they usually figure everything for the worst case scenario. I'm not sure how Minelab manages the heat on their PCB's but I would imagine they probably do the same thing since this is a widely accepted industry standard.

Just my thoughts

Del

I agree and in the owners manual it says not to leave in direct sun for very long. I use a 3m vinyl product. I have a bunch left over from doing my truck. It is extremely scratch proof. Let me know if you want a piece.

post-2514-1257820488_thumb.jpg

I kind of look at control box covers like differential covers on my Jeep... You know they will get beat up in the long run from normal wear and tear so why not protect your investment (especially when it's a $4,000+ dollar product). A little bit of money spent now will help keep it in good shape in the long run. I beat the crap out my detectors and a control box cover helps them last longer not to mention it helps the resale value if you ever decide to sell.

That control box cover is slick, if they made a matching arm cuff cover I'd buy a few! I like the military style desert camouflage (especially digital) since it matches the terrain most of us hunt. The pocket is a cool idea, I'm sure I could find some use for it. As for the added weight the functionality and coolness of it far outweigh the little extra weight.

Of course, I think probably the best cover would be some vacuum formed plastic cover that snaps in place over the control box... Maybe some day, it would keep me from having to replace my control box cover twice a year.

I hope to see those along with some matching arm cuff covers and more camouflage choices on the market soon... It's cool and I like it!

Del

Hello Paseclipse...just to let you know and others there can be cuffs coming out as well ...the following is Bob's battle plan. quote...Yes, I have also considered making cuff covers as well and you may possibly be seeing those sometime in the near future. I am also working on a new back pack design specifically for metal detecting / prospecting. It will feature a large accessory pouch, metal detector battery pouch and both of which will be attached to a larger pouch which will hold a camel back water bladder with drinking tube...hopefully coming soon. Unquotes...Nice to know! Guido...

• Admin

Hello Guido,

Thanks for the information. They look like good control box covers. The price and weight might make a difference vs. other ones currently on the market. I sell both the AZO Camo and Coiltek Neoprene. The AZO ones are cheaper in price, but cover the entire control box and are made of canvas. The Coiltek ones allow the control box legs to stick through, but are much thicker and are neoprene. I sell a bunch of each, just a matter of customer preference.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison