Anyone Make Pick Heads?

I've been looking to get a good pick for detecting but the expensive price tag is discouraging. Being young and of little extra means I tend to be somewhat of a miser. If anyone makes their own pick heads or has an extra one perhaps we can negotiate a price?

• 2 weeks later...

Or make your own, Sean. Being a bit cheep myself, I shelled out a little more for one of those gasless wire welders off CL ($125) and have used it to make all sorts of tools for getting gold. Riffle bars, a grizzley, and then a couple weeks ago, a pick from a broken shovel. It's pretty easy with the wire feed -just point and pull the trigger. The hard part is figuring out what you want and where to get the scrap metal for cheep -our local dump has a recycle area where people drop off vaguely useful stuff and other people can buy it for cheep... The other reason to go this route, at least for me, is that making tools is almost as much fun as looking for gold, and I can do it in all the time I can't get away to the mountains...

I've been looking to get a good pick for detecting but the expensive price tag is discouraging. Being young and of little extra means I tend to be somewhat of a miser. If anyone makes their own pick heads or has an extra one perhaps we can negotiate a price?

I think I recall Doc saying in an email that he made picks, you may want to send him an email asking if he'll sell a head separately.

Jennifer

• Admin

Hello Sean,

I know about 3-4 guys that manufacture picks and I'm sure they can send you a pick head. You might try Travis Brown at Pro-Gold Prospecting in Youngtown, Arizona to start. The Pro-Gold picks are great.

John Hodan at Hodan Machine and Mfg also makes picks and might make some pick heads separately.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Hey everyone, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Nuggetslayer has agreed to make me a pick if I bring him a plow disc and I'm very thankful for his offer.

I'm a firm believer in making your own equipment when possible. Usually you end up with something equal if not better than what you could buy for half the price.

Hey Rob,

Is that the same Travis Brown that got a brand new GP3500 from me in 2005 with a promise that he would pay me over time, and to date still owes me over $1800?

Guess I am going to have to file a small claims if I ever expect to get paid.

Doc

Hi all:

When doing things yourself, sometimes the end result, or its consequences there from, winds up costing

one a whole bunch more, than if you had bought the real deal in the first place.

I might suggest that if you want a good pick, Doc does sell a good badger pick, one of several available through him, and made by Apex: http://apexpicks.com

Just thought you might like to know!

Always like to help!

~LARGO~

Nuggetslayer,

Nope, I'm not saying that your picks are no good, sorry if you took it that way.

In fact, with the press you have been getting on your fine picks, if I didn't have a bucket full

of picks already from all points, I would probably want one of yours!

There are horror stories I have heard from metal shops of people relating how, people try

to make a pick say, out of a carspring, and try to weld it to a metal handle, and while they

may have what appears to be lots of weld material, what they don't see, if there really is a good

marriage of the combined metals, in time those "welds" can come apart, and who knows

where the pieces will fall? Not to say that carsprings can't be used for picks, however, as they can

but should be done by an experienced welder.

I think it is rather gracious of you to offer to make a pick for Sean!

Take care!

~LARGO~

Hey Rob,

Is that the same Travis Brown that got a brand new GP3500 from me in 2005 with a promise that he would pay me over time, and to date still owes me over $1800?

Guess I am going to have to file a small claims if I ever expect to get paid.

Doc

That's a shame you got screwed on the 3500 Doc. There is always someone that takes advantage of a good person and ruins the trust for the rest of your customers. I never got in to see you when in Las Vegas a few weeks ago but sure appreciated your phone advice. Above and beyond the normal customer service !! Cmon Travis.... man up and pay your debt. You're screwing a good guy. Ken Gardner

• Admin

Hello Doc,

Well I really don't want to be in the middle of this. You guys are both great people, so hopefully you both can resolve it.

I think all the following manufactures make great quality prospecting picks and I carry them -

Apex Badger

Doc's Goldsquirrel

Pro-Gold picks (similar to the old Walco)

Hodan and Hodan's Pro-Pick

AZO's new pick (will post a picture, real slick pick!)

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season.

Rob Allison

I think Rob's post, listing a group of manufacturers, is all anyone needs to make a decision. Let's face it, the field is limited for prospecting picks. At the same time, the manufacturers of those picks, cannot derive their sole income from the picks, a fact that they have to face-It's too small of a market!

So, what is our problem at this point? Our manufacturers have a limited market, with a limited product. This should scorch the pants off a manufacturer attempting to to crab at least part of the market to stay afloat. Ah Ha! We have arrived at the problem, small market!

I don't know how many have heard it- diversification! These small manufacturers have to diversify to keep their products on the market. They have to at least diversify their incomes, with their product, or additional products to satisfy their needs. The day has gone where a drill bit will create a multi-billion dollar fortune.

Dean

Ain't it the truth!

Dean you have to realize that most dealers, myself included, carry items like picks, as a convenience for our customers. Certainly we don't expect to get rich off of them.

However, you also have to realize that the day may come when no one bothers to make picks, because it just isn't worth the expense.

I mean it's not a cheap process. Last bunch of picks I had made up I ordered 500 cut and forged heads that I had to pay for and also pay the shipping on. They had to be shipped to Matt who was doing the welding for me. Then I had to pay for custom made handles, and have them shipped to Matt. Then I had to pay Matt to weld the base on the picks and mount the handles and pay him to deliver them to me in Las Vegas. Anyone that thinks there is a lot of profit in a well made $79 pick, hasn't tried to mass produce them.

Undoubtedly, if you can weld, you can probably make one a lot cheaper. I have thousands of dollars tied up in inventory, just so when a customer comes in and says, "Do you have a good pick?" I can say, "Yes I do!"

Take care!

Doc

I think Rob's post, listing a group of manufacturers, is all anyone needs to make a decision. Let's face it, the field is limited for prospecting picks. At the same time, the manufacturers of those picks, cannot derive their sole income from the picks, a fact that they have to face-It's too small of a market!

So, what is our problem at this point? Our manufacturers have a limited market, with a limited product. This should scorch the pants off a manufacturer attempting to to crab at least part of the market to stay afloat. Ah Ha! We have arrived at the problem, small market!

I don't know how many have heard it- diversification! These small manufacturers have to diversify to keep their products on the market. They have to at least diversify their incomes, with their product, or additional products to satisfy their needs. The day has gone where a drill bit will create a multi-billion dollar fortune.

Dean

Doc you probably found out after your first month in busines that some folks can never be pleased, some always want something for free and some think you have more markup on products than is realistic. Good folks like you, Rob and others that go out of their way to please people even when you would like to grab them by the throat are the reason we have a good metal detecting community. Jerry

Ain't it the truth!

Dean you have to realize that most dealers, myself included, carry items like picks, as a convenience for our customers. Certainly we don't expect to get rich off of them.

However, you also have to realize that the day may come when no one bothers to make picks, because it just isn't worth the expense.

I mean it's not a cheap process. Last bunch of picks I had made up I ordered 500 cut and forged heads that I had to pay for and also pay the shipping on. They had to be shipped to Matt who was doing the welding for me. Then I had to pay for custom made handles, and have them shipped to Matt. Then I had to pay Matt to weld the base on the picks and mount the handles and pay him to deliver them to me in Las Vegas. Anyone that thinks there is a lot of profit in a well made $79 pick, hasn't tried to mass produce them.

Undoubtedly, if you can weld, you can probably make one a lot cheaper. I have thousands of dollars tied up in inventory, just so when a customer comes in and says, "Do you have a good pick?" I can say, "Yes I do!"

Take care!

Doc

Doc

This particular pick is not one to cut you or any dealer out of a deal. It is to help a fellow prospector who is just starting out and in a downright crappy economy with no job, his $$$ is almost non existent.........

Sean,

It's and all metal pick and you'll love it...it will last for years! NuggetSlayer, just cut a bunch from a $5.00 plow blade, and only took him about 15 minutes to put it together. Some say you'll never dig another nugget with all the metal...I dig them everyday I'm detecting with mine!

LuckyLundy

I can appreciate that, and I think it is very nice to help this person out. That is what is great about our hobby, people are always willing to help one another.

Doc

Doc

This particular pick is not one to cut you or any dealer out of a deal. It is to help a fellow prospector who is just starting out and in a downright crappy economy with no job, his $$$ is almost non existent.........