GPX-4500 Promises and Scams!

• Admin

Hello All,

I just wanted to inform the ones that want to read this about issues on GPX-4500 sales. Most of you probably already know that the Minelab GPX-4500's are tough to find anywhere. The backorder list has now climbed back over 1,000 and demand far outweighs what the manufacture can product at the moment.

Despite the backorders, customer and dealers need to carefully watch who they are dealing with! There are many scams going right now, but at the same time some dealers "might" be playing some games (bait and switch).

A customer called this weekend and wanted to know if there was any chance they could get a hold of a GPX-4500 any time soon. I told the customer, like anyone else calling that I should have another shipment within the next couple 2-3 weeks, maybe sooner if everything goes well. Before I even get my shipments, the detectors have been sold many weeks prior. I doubt any dealer right now has one just sitting on the shelves.

Getting back to the story, I told the customer I would gladly take a down payment or payment in full if they wanted to be guaranteed a unit. They stated they already purchased one, but waited over a month past what the dealer stated and only got a fraction of what the dealer said would be included. The customer would not give me any information on who this dealer might be, but stated they would call Minelab directly.

All I can say is, "DO THE RIGHT THING!" If you promise something, stick to what you say.

I suggest that customers research the dealers and their packages before any purchase. I also suggest that all dealers be careful with whom you might be selling your products to and make sure the funds are good. There are tons of credit card scams and fraud going on right now due to the poor economy and the Holidays right around the corner.

This message was strickly informational.

Thanks,

Rob Allison

I always TRICK my customers! :rolleyes: I always include more than they thought they were going to get. So when they find a pick and a scoop, and other goodies I always get a call; to tell me I made a mistake. Then I get to tell them it was a gift.

Of course lately, with this shortage, I haven't had any detectors to sell anyway. I have had 20 on backorder for 2 months.

I, like you Rob, have told customers, if they want a detector, they will have to place a substantial deposit, I then send their order into Minelab so they know they have a "local" customer waiting for a machine.

BTW, just so everyone is aware of this, Minelab is dedicated to trying to make sure that true "LOCAL" customers, that being customers who intend to use their machines for prospecting here in the United States, get put in the front of the line.

When we have a person who wants 5 or 10 machines, it's obvious that they are probably exporting them. And while we can take deposits for these machines, and put them in the order pool, these customer orders are filled only after "LOCAL" customer's orders have been filled first.

Minelab recognizes that when this BOOM in North Sudan is over, it is our local customers who will keep us dealers and Minelab in business for years to come, so it is important to us that we take care of you guys, and make sure you get preferential treatment.

Dealers like Rob have been here for years, and he intends to be here for many more years to come. We depend on satisfied return customers and referrals to stay in business, and we do not take our loyal customers for granted.

BCOT!

Doc

Rob sent me a bunch of his business cards, I've already past some out, I send people to Doc, for Boots and stuff Rob doesn't have in stock, word of mouth is worth a lot for people that trust me and I always send Rob people that are interested in detectors. Always have always will, he has a full time job, a new baby and a pretty wife. He's the man. Grubstake

• Admin

Hello Doc and Grubstake,

I know what you mean about the local and non-local customers. I'm selling enough GPX-4500's to local customers I don't even take orders from the non-locals. I do return their emails and phone calls, but I also let them know the priority is local customers. I probably could have sold 200+ GPX-4500's to all these non-local customers if Minelab had them in stock.

Lately I've been so busy with field instructions I haven't had a whole lot of time to do much detecting.

Doc, sure wish I could get more GPX-4500's, we both are in the same boat. There are many local customers that are chomping at the bit to get detectors before the heat rolls back around.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

I always TRICK my customers! :rolleyes: I always include more than they thought they were going to get. So when they find a pick and a scoop, and other goodies I always get a call; to tell me I made a mistake. Then I get to tell them it was a gift.

Doc

It's true, when I opened my last order from Doc there was a deviled egg sandwich in there that I must admit was quite yummy, thanks Doc. :)

Jen

Hi Guys,

I'm one dealer who is pretty much sitting out this gold rush. As a rule I don't like taking money for items I don't have, especially if I can't even tell you when you will get it. I like having it in stock and if you want it I sell it to you. Well, since I basically can't get any GPX-4500 units to speak of I'm really not selling any either. One does wander in the door now and then, and we make a call to whoever is at the top of the list, and it is gone that fast.

I'm glad Minelab detectors are not my real bread and butter (that would be boats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) as I'd be hurting due to Minelabs inability to give me product to sell. Sad to be in a situation of overwhelming demand with no way to fill that demand. With the price of gold just going higher and higher, who knows when this situation will end?

This is real, classic 1800's style gold rush craziness!

Steve Herschbach

Hi Guys,

I'm glad Minelab detectors are not my real bread and butter (that would be boats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) as I'd be hurting due to Minelabs inability to give me product to sell. Sad to be in a situation of overwhelming demand with no way to fill that demand. With the price of gold just going higher and higher, who knows when this situation will end?

Steve Herschbach

It seems almost hard to believe that the factory can't pump out the GPX's fast enough to keep up with demand. We've all seen the shows where the boards are populated with components by robots in about a 3rd of a second etc... they must have the ability to produce them in reasonably fast numbers ... unless part of the line/one of the lines is shut down for a retooling for a new model... :) When I worked at the Hewlett Packard Print Engine factory (now called Jabil Circuit and since shut down) in Boise it was mind numbing how fast a bare board could get populated with components and electronically/automatically tested and packed for shipping. Approx 36,000 components an hour (10 per second) and we can't keep up to Sudan purchase? Check out the 2:30 mark in this vid for similar work: link

I wouldn't think that they're holding them back to increase demand, they're selling them for the same price as when they had lots.. it just seems strange that with automated factories they'd be this far behind.

Jen

It seems almost hard to believe that the factory can't pump out the GPX's fast enough to keep up with demand. We've all seen the shows where the boards are populated with components by robots in about a 3rd of a second etc... they must have the ability to produce them in reasonably fast numbers ... unless part of the line/one of the lines is shut down for a retooling for a new model... When I worked at the Hewlett Packard Print Engine factory (now called Jabil Circuit and since shut down) in Boise it was mind numbing how fast a bare board could get populated with components and electronically/automatically tested and packed for shipping. Approx 36,000 components an hour (10 per second) and we can't keep up to Sudan purchase?
I agree. I wonder if they moved thier production plant from Ireland to Malaysia and have production issues.

Minelab is having component challenges. For example, I understand they are having trouble getting the 5 pin power plugs.

They went from a 4 pin to a 5 pin because they needed to use one of the pins to accomodate charging the battery. HOWEVER, they had to go with sort of a unique 5 pin to differentiate it from the 5 pin coil port. Otherwise people would be plugging the power cord into the coil port.

Well now they are having problems sourcing enough of these unique 5 pins quickly. And that is only 1 component. The demand keeps growing, and the supply is not keeping up. But when you think about it, one machine has a lot of 5 pins. There is 1 female 5 pin in the control box, 2 males in the power cord, 1 female in the battery, then 1 male for the AC charger and 1 male for the car charger.

Someday they will reach a saturation point where they have enough of everything, and get caught up on backorders, and the supply will balance with the demand.

My understanding is that machines are selling for many times what dealers here in the states are selling them for.

However, I also understand that the average take of gold is averaging around a pound a day per detector.

It sure would be interesting just to see the terrain that they are detecting in N. Sudan.

Doc

Minelab is having component challenges. For example, I understand they are having trouble getting the 5 pin power plugs.

They went from a 4 pin to a 5 pin because they needed to use one of the pins to accomodate charging the battery. HOWEVER, they had to go with sort of a unique 5 pin to differentiate it from the 5 pin coil port. Otherwise people would be plugging the power cord into the coil port.

Well now they are having problems sourcing enough of these unique 5 pins quickly. And that is only 1 component. The demand keeps growing, and the supply is not keeping up. But when you think about it, one machine has a lot of 5 pins. There is 1 female 5 pin in the control box, 2 males in the power cord, 1 female in the battery, then 1 male for the AC charger and 1 male for the car charger.

Doc

Ahhhhh, I knew it.... Supply Chain problems... where have I heard that before... smirking.

Great info, thanks Doc

Jennifer

No I think they have enough chains, it's the plugs that are in short supply. :rolleyes:

I believe that story about the plugs because Bill at Minelab was asking me if I knew where he could get some, because he is totally out.

Doc

Ahhhhh, I knew it.... Supply Chain problems... where have I heard that before... smirking.

Great info, thanks Doc

Jennifer