Wondering if anyone else has any goals and/or what drives you as far as nugget hunting goes.

My personal goal is to find a 1oz. plus nugget.

I have found hundreds of nuggets, have come fairly close to 1oz. nuggets a few times and have had several 1oz. days with combined nuggets found. But never the 1 oz. solid nug.

In recent months I no longer bring anything smaller than a 14" round coil when I hit the goldfields. I know I will probably miss a few +/- grammers out there but I would much rather that than miss the bigger nuggets at depth.

DigDeep

Thats mine too! I have found pounds of gold, the biggest was a 17.5 DWT. nigget, I have found an oz and 1/2 in one day with a total of 7 nuggets, but have yet to break the one oz in one nugget mark. Now my uncle hunting along side me, has found a few one ozers and one that was just over a 5 ozer. Its strange, but thats the way it happens. Grubstake

I had the same goal of finding that one ozer.... I spent 30 years dredging and many detecting only to come up with a 7 dwt nugget found dredging. I also had many many one oz plus days. That was until last spring when I beat the one oz mark by times six.... My 6.14 oz Palm Nugget......... Now that I have found it, it seems like there are no goals left except to fill the safe!

Hi El,

That's easy - now you need to try and move from the "one ounce club" to the much more exclusive "one pound club". At 12 Troy ounces we get a bit of a break in trying to hit that goal, but it is a tough one I'm still working on myself. I slacked of trying the last couple years but it is game on again next summer so maybe my turn will come.

If I ever make that goal I will not make any more nugget goals. I'll work harder on my other ones. Still looking for my first gold coin, and still looking for a ring with a one carat diamond. And my first confirmed meteorite.

Steve Herschbach

Hi All

This is my first post on this site, I have been detecting for 18 months started with a gold snoop, borrowed a SD2000 from Jack Lange, the went on a trip with Jack to my property I used his SD2200d, on this tirp I found 3 nuggets 1. 3 gram @ 10" 2200d 11" dd coil 2. 4 gram same set up, 3. 6.6 oz @ 26" sd2200d 16" NF mono. Not bad for a five day trip 2 other nuggets under 2 grams found by others.

So Im exceptioally lucky I have allready broken the 1 oz barrier very quick, my goal no is to find patchs of nuggets as I feel that finding alot of small nuggets will spead up the learning proccess.

By the way Im from Townsville North Queensland Australia, I dont get out as often as I would like, juggleing work, familybuilding of shed etc

I have since purchased the SD2200 d (mod) from Jack, Im using mono's mainly 20" NF & 11" minelab, but have the 11" dd.

cheers all

great forum, I have been droping in for a while thanks

Lee

• Admin

Hello DigDeep,

It will be just a matter of time and when you least expect it. I was in the same boat many ... many years ago and never thought I was going to find a 1+ ouncer. At that time I had hundreds of nuggets under my belt, but the biggest was around 1/3 ounce. One day when I least expected it I hit a nice 1+ ounce slug at Rich Hill. From there, some reason it was down hill. I have found a bunch of 1+ ouncers now, but my new goal is one over 12 ounces (1 Troy Pound). My biggest solid nugget to date is a 9+ ouncer, but haven't been able to get over that one pounder yet.

Sometimes it's best to hunt areas that have produced big nuggets or have some type of history of bigger gold. Many locations are noted for smaller under 1/4 ounce in size, but other areas have produced a number of larger nuggets. Sometimes it's best to target these areas if you're looking specifically for a larger gold nugget.

On the flip side of the coin, I have found some biggie's in areas that are not noted for large gold nuggets. Go figure .... :wacko: Maybe I'm talking in riddles now.

Best of luck to you,

Rob Allison

This year detecting, I've had the pleasure of seeing 3 nuggets over 1 oz popped out of the ground. One was mine (47 dwt's), Tony pulled a nice one (22 dwt) and of course El Dorado's 1/2 pounder. It's true...it will happen when you least expect it and the long road to find your first 1 oz'er will seem forgotten. You'll sleep better at night and wakeup with a smile, you'll have this million mile eye stare of being there and done that and all furture nuggets you find will be dinks. Now-a-days I'm happy digging dinks and searching for the next patch. NuggetSlayer, is still in the hunt to join the club and it will happen one-day! He doesn't sleep good at night, has this hungry look in his eyes...maybe over the next ridge, he can rest easy! Until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy

Lucky- What happened to Tony? I haven't seem him post in a while.

I headed out today and swung for about an hour then got rained out. But was able to get a nugget.

It weighed 9.7...............grains.

At least I didn't go home empty handed.

DigDeep

• Admin

Hello Mtb,

Wow ... a first nugget of 35+ Dwt's might spoil you too early. They are not easy to find that size. Congrats on the second one around Wickenburg. Just a matter of time until you find two, three and then a handful in a days time.

Wishing you the best,

Rob Allison

Hey James it will come my friend, just keep at it. I tend to agree with Rob... Put yourself in an area where big nuggets have been found and dig EVERY target. Yours is coming and it will probably happen when you least expect it. When I nailed mine I honestly thought I was digging a piece of deep trash! :blink:

Del

From what I have heard a one ounce gold nugget is rarer than a five carat diamond! Can anyone verify this commet? These glory slugs are definatly out there...I found mine early on (1.3 OZ.) near Wickenburg AZ and it was much appreciated, but not as much as it would have been if I found it years after I started detecting! Then I could REALLY understand and admire such an extremely rare find as that! Guido...

• Admin

Hello Guido,

That is the old saying "A one ounce nugget is just as rare as a 5 carat diamond." I'm not sure where this is documented, but I'm sure is close to being true. I've never hunted diamonds, but I've spent close to 20 years chasing gold nuggets and the 1+ ouncers are rare.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello Guido,

That is the old saying "A one ounce nugget is just as rare as a 5 carat diamond." I'm not sure where this is documented, but I'm sure is close to being true. I've never hunted diamonds, but I've spent close to 20 years chasing gold nuggets and the 1+ ouncers are rare.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello Rob...If you do an internet search with the sentence (one ounce nugget is just as rare as a 5 carat diamond) you will get some hits from some sites saying the same thing, but I dont know where this fact comes from...Guido

Came pretty close to a 1oz. nugget today.

Went out to a new area. Got tired of digging trash so we just started walking/hiking away from any signs of previous workings, roads etc. Got pretty far out there and started swinging. Within the first 20 minutes I picked up a little guy, slowed down a bit and about 30 min later pulled out the bigger one. Found one more by noon and then had to get home. Best part is this area is Big, should give us plenty to do for a while and only found one piece of trash all day, a stray bullet.

post-4951-1260146897_thumb.jpg

post-4951-1260146914_thumb.jpg

post-4951-1260146923_thumb.jpg

Wondering if anyone else has any goals and/or what drives you as far as nugget hunting goes.

My personal goal is to find a 1oz. plus nugget.

DigDeep

My goal/goals, at this point, at this time of the year, at the place that I currently exist..... is either one of the following to occur:

#1 The temperature to stop going down to 19/20 degrees at night with a high of 33 during the day, so that the ground can thaw to within 2' of the surface, so that I can go forth and seek above referred to "Love Nuggets". (Yes, at this time of the year, I do miss Arizona, then I go out and look at my unlocked car and the lack of empty Sudafed packages up and down the street from Smurfers (Google it), and that feeling goes away :rolleyes: ). The next time you're it's a tad nipply while in that t-shirt out detecting... think of this video of a friend of mine prospecting:

#2 Take a scuba diving or hookah class as I can do that in a warm pool and come Spring, I'll be good to go for some serious underwater sniping/detecting.

Hopefully one happens quickly as at present, I'm scratching that gold bug itch by researching claims and gold areas all day long and I end up buying new claims to work next year.... it's addictive. :)

Jennifer, in "cold-(three letter word for a donkey)" Vancouver, BC. :)

Adam - Thanks

AzNuggetBob - Yea, I was getting so tired of trash I was to the point that I would rather get no gold for the day than dig another piece of trash. I just got extremely lucky I happened to hit a spot with gold. I am surprised the old timers did not get this area.

srferjo714 - Heck yea I am up for the Red Cloud road area, I haven't been there for a while. Sounds fun, be sure to give me a call. I think I have some good areas with alot of potential out there that I haven't been able to get to yet.

Jennifer Bond - were you able to find any nuggets on your claims this year?

My goal/goals, at this point, at this time of the year, at the place that I currently exist..... is either one of the following to occur:

#1 The temperature to stop going down to 19/20 degrees at night with a high of 33 during the day, so that the ground can thaw to within 2' of the surface, so that I can go forth and seek above referred to "Love Nuggets". (Yes, at this time of the year, I do miss Arizona, then I go out and look at my unlocked car and the lack of empty Sudafed packages up and down the street from Smurfers (Google it), and that feeling goes away :rolleyes: ). The next time you're it's a tad nipply while in that t-shirt out detecting... think of this video of a friend of mine prospecting:

#2 Take a scuba diving or hookah class as I can do that in a warm pool and come Spring, I'll be good to go for some serious underwater sniping/detecting.

Hopefully one happens quickly as at present, I'm scratching that gold bug itch by researching claims and gold areas all day long and I end up buying new claims to work next year.... it's addictive. :)

Jennifer, in "cold-(three letter word for a donkey)" Vancouver, BC. :)

Jennifer,

We're looking at 30 something below zero tonight with the 'windshield' factor. It got up to 4 below today.

I would much rather be discussing/cussing hot weather. At least you can dig the ground.

Anyway like a fool I just couldn't stand the thought of the long,cold, bleak Montana winter ahead and grabbed the detector and went out about 10 days ago. The ground was mud on top and frozen down about 7 or 8 inches. Got a few more pieces of trash out of the patch but no gold. So now I'm plugging in the batteries and waiting for spring........ And it ain't officially winter yet!

LeRoy