One a Day, Keeps the Doctor Away!

At the beginning of the month, I told NuggetSlayer I'll try to get 1 nugget a day for the month of November. Only because it started off so good...but the skunk was on me a few days mid-month. We've been pounding the hills in search of some new patches, picking up one's and two's up here and there. This time of the year, your fighting the wind, some rain and tired legs for sure. This morning I looked at the log book and was only 4 nuggets short of my lofty goal and well short of last months total weight. I talked myself into hitting the gold fields for another hunt for the missing 4 nuggets. I visited and old patch and was working some 30 feet above it. I kicked up 3 dinks and couldn't find another, so I headed down to the heart of the old patch. It was a perfect morning to hunt, my machine was running super quiet and I was picking up little bits of metal that we should have dug up before. When I got a weird signal right on top of and old dig hole. I re-dug it and listened again, same weird sound but below and into new un-dug ground. The deeper I dug, it sounded no better same weird wobbled sound, which i was starting to think was a piece of a square head nail. 14" or more down and the nail is out of the hole, it didn't sound like gold. Well I was surprised! Just goes to show you...dig them all 8.7 dwt's. December's goal will be to just have fun! Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

29Nov09InHand87dwter.jpg

29Nov09ScaleTotal4-1.jpg

29Nov09ScaleTotal-1.jpg

• Admin

Hey Lucky,

Congrats on the 8+ Dwt piece. Always nice to get pieces over 1/4 ounce when you can.

Just got back from a 5 day prospecting trip. Haven't had much time to talk about it on the forums, but found some nice gold, got a bunch of claim work done and conducted several GPX-4500 field instructions during that time. Both customers found during their field instructions found gold also! :)

P.S. I know you use those Commander 15x12-inch Mono coils a bunch. We both know there are lighter coils that perform the same, but wondering if you can tell use why you prefer them over some of the aftermarket coils? I know many like the Commanders for their weight and solid design to push down the grass and vegitation in some areas. Would like to hear more.

Wishing you the best,

Rob Allison

Rob,

Yep, the coils I choose to run on a given day vary from gold patch to gold patch. Believe me, anyone of the Big-3, Commander, Coiltek & Nuggetfinder coils are very good and I find gold with them each month. We've all talked about what coil is better than another...to me they are just like nuggets, I love them all. They all have a place to work and it can be the same patch of gold just at different stages of finding the gold. If I'm running around the hills patch hunting, it's and 11" Commander DD and I'll run it in Mono. If I get a sweet signal, I'll flip it to DD to ID it and a lot of times I'm running in Patch Mode. You want to cover some ground and your only looking for 1 nugget to start your next patch! From that point depending on the depth of grass, thick brush or steep hillside will tell me what coil to use next, be it round or elliptical or a heavy/light coil. Today, I was using the heavy 12x15 Commander Mono for the heavy grass. This patch has had every coil you can buy on the market swung over it and all have found gold. Today's 3 small nuggets could have been found with any coil to include DD's. Now the 8.7 dwt'er a DD coil would not have heard it? A smaller coil wouldn't have heard it either! You would have had to have a larger Mono and would have wanted to dig this weird sounding target. I do prefer and after-market light weight coil, but can't use them in all the patches. But, it is important to switch from brand to brand...I have found each will find gold that the other brands have missed...or it just could be me missing the gold? Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

• Admin

Hello Lucky,

I think what you have stated is very fair and true! It's great to have guys like you on the forums. Being a Minelab and Coiltek dealer, I have found gold with both manufacture coils, but I would be lying if I told you I never found a nugget(s) with a Nuggetfinder. I still have an original fiberglass NF 20-inch Mono Round. Prior to that I owned the 17-inch elliptical and the 16-inch Round SL Mono. I found gold with all of these coils.

My preferred coil for outright prospecting is my Goldstalker 14-inch Mono. Like you, once I locate a nugget and believe I might be in a patch location I will use different coils depending on the depth of the ground, mineralization, vegetation ... ect.

If it's a "wash" type patch (most of the gold in the bottom of the drainage), I might only use a couple of coils. However, if it's a hillside or bench patch I might try a variety of coils to see what happens.

Never hurts to experience with coils and different settings to see what you might have missed.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

At the beginning of the month, I told NuggetSlayer I'll try to get 1 nugget a day for the month of November. Only because it started off so good...but the skunk was on me a few days mid-month. We've been pounding the hills in search of some new patches, picking up one's and two's up here and there. This time of the year, your fighting the wind, some rain and tired legs for sure. This morning I looked at the log book and was only 4 nuggets short of my lofty goal and well short of last months total weight. I talked myself into hitting the gold fields for another hunt for the missing 4 nuggets. I visited and old patch and was working some 30 feet above it. I kicked up 3 dinks and couldn't find another, so I headed down to the heart of the old patch. It was a perfect morning to hunt, my machine was running super quiet and I was picking up little bits of metal that we should have dug up before. When I got a weird signal right on top of and old dig hole. I re-dug it and listened again, same weird sound but below and into new un-dug ground. The deeper I dug, it sounded no better same weird wobbled sound, which i was starting to think was a piece of a square head nail. 14" or more down and the nail is out of the hole, it didn't sound like gold. Well I was surprised! Just goes to show you...dig them all 8.7 dwt's. December's goal will be to just have fun! Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

29Nov09InHand87dwter.jpg

29Nov09ScaleTotal4-1.jpg

29Nov09ScaleTotal-1.jpg

:D:D:D . Douig