TO MUCH METAL

HI EVERYONE: I'm new to the detecting part of prospecting and i've read doc's story on detecting naked and guido's revamp on what he carry's in the way of metal when out searching. My question is -- how much metal can you carry around with you and not have a serious effect on your machine? Also does it matter where you carry it in relation to the machine -- like in a back pack or on your belt or in your body? The metal in the body is substantial and no i can't get rid of it. I lite up every detector i get around and would it be possible to tune it out? Any ideas or thoughts? thanks dirty ike

Well I think that no-metal boots are the most important, I carry my pick on my side, and most usally my pistol on the other side, I wear no metal snake gardz, and my pack has extra batteries and cords, headphones, and a hydration bladder. And I'm running a 17x12 goldstaker mono, I see no i'll effects the way I'm set up. Grubstake

The main idea here is that (with exception to the coil cable & shaft) you need to keep ferrous objects as far away from the coil as reasonably possible. For me (as Grubstake mentioned), a truly metal free boot & snake guards is essential. The bigger the coil the farther away you need to keep these metal objects. My 18" Goldstalker can hear my cell phone in my front pocket in the right position. It can also hear my pick at waist high. Car keys may be heard if just to close. I have a metal free belt. Pants with nylon zippers or velcro are a good idea.

Just dont go around with an array of cast iron pots & pans..... :D If you can keep cameras, cell phones, GPS units, Knives, keys & such in a backpack that would be great. As for guns , maybe consider a shoulder harness?? I havent had a problem that I have noticed carrying my 45 on my hip at this point but I may test that theroy out too.. I suspect that it may be an issue with large coils only.

One other thing you can do also, I have it. Is an extra long upper shaft, You can get them from Bandan DON in AZ, and I think Rob has them and Maybe Bill Southern. But you can contact DON. and get them from him. They put the coil another 6 inches out in front of you, and are really good for getting up under brush. Seem to balance out the detector more with a large coil also. Cheers. Grubstake

HI EVERYONE: I'm new to the detecting part of prospecting and i've read doc's story on detecting naked and guido's revamp on what he carry's in the way of metal when out searching. My question is -- how much metal can you carry around with you and not have a serious effect on your machine? Also does it matter where you carry it in relation to the machine -- like in a back pack or on your belt or in your body? The metal in the body is substantial and no i can't get rid of it. I lite up every detector i get around and would it be possible to tune it out? Any ideas or thoughts? thanks dirty ike

Hello Dirty Ike...As for how much metal is too much it really depends as Adam has already said, the bigger the coil the bigger the problem metal can be, my experience is if my coils are 16 inches or bigger than they can be a problem. What I have done base on what I have learn is the following. I replaced the metal control upper shaft with a fiberglass Otto shaft from Doc or Rob, have the windings from my coil taped going strait up the shaft to about half way...some like to go all the way up the shaft to the control box area, not coiled around the shaft, this lowers the metal cross section of wires close to the coil, no metal in boots, no metal in belt buckles, I eliminated my web belt (metal mounting rings and buckle)now that my pick is behind me and at neck level. I really dont bump into may targets that I have to dig up so having it back there is fine with me. If targets are more frequent then I would rest it on my left shoulder. As for weapons I did eliminate my K-bar knife...as for the other weapons that go boom, that's a decision base on the individual, personal preference and area of operation...such as big critters or the two legged trouble maker types. I do have a aluminum frame .45 Kimber pistol and other assorted military weapons that would freak out the State of California, but I have not had a need to fire any of this detecting before in the last 10 years. That's no guarantee that something may not happen sometime down the road, and I dont shoot anything in the desert if I do bump into them...I back up and go around, it's there home, I'm just passing threw. At the very least I would pack the pistol in the truck, but that's as far as I go with that. A longer shaft is a good idea as well for the detector...I did not think of that one...I did a survey and I emptied everything that I carry into the field on the floor and asked myself; do I really need this and if so can I replace this with something non-metallic. I tricked myself into carrying too much metal and I think that it's more of a problem than most people think. If you have doubts about what your carrying then detect for an hour then remove you gear walk away and detect again and listen if there is a difference in the threshold, especially when you swing your detector to it's extreme left or right depending on where the bulk of your metal is located (Pick or pistol) All of my metal objects I cannot eliminate i.e. camera, battery pack, keys, cell phone is stored at the top compartments of my camelbak kept far away as systematically possible. I even pulled of the metal edge off my wooden 12" ruler I use to measure how deep a recovered object is...that's how far I take it! If you have the misfortune of having metal installed inside your body that must be tough to deal with...I would stay away from big coils, and put a shaft extender on your detector to get the coil far away from you as possible...Guido

Ike,

all good advice, but to customize it a little...

if you have metal from hip or knee replacement the coil MAY pick that up all the time. If you have metal in your upper body the detector should not respond when swinging the coil. Any metal in your body may cause a response when you bring the coil close to yourself to check a target. Metal in your head will likely cause some/alot of signal when you move your head over/near the coil while checking for a target. Pi detectors and even vlf detectors have a very large area-of-detection that can cause some signal change...you can test for these subtle/obvious changes by eliminating multiple possiblities.

the best way would be to detect naked as Doc suggests...

happy hunting

Fred

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I've never really had a problem with metal after I switched to Doc's Bates No-Metal Boots. Prior to that, I was always detecting my hiking books. I have set my detector up with a Complete Otto Fibertlass upper and lower shaft, wear "no-metal" boots and keep my pick on one of those hammer type holders. I've never had a problem since then.

Take care,

Rob Allison

I too have a bunch of metal with me when I detect, I do go with none metallic boots. I have TWO metal knee implants. The metal is zirconium and sounds just like gold! Not to bad on a 14" or smaller coil, but when I use my larger coils, I must be careful of how I move and place my detector near me. All of which I have learned to adapt to. I still get fooled working an upslope going up hill. I can still find gold with my 4000 (just not as much as Lucky or Nuggetslayer)!

Here is a simple test: Put your 45 or favorite firearm on the ground. See how high your detector can hear it. Are you carrying it higher than that?

Same for picks, etc. Don't forget the battery.

There are some that think that multiple targets are not additive, think keys, GPS, radio, pick, pick holder, suspenders. All at about the same height. Others think that only the larger item is important.

Make your test and make your choice.

Gary

Well Ike.....I thought I would respond to your question about too much metal and where you can carry it. I'm new to this as well and found that I have a problem with my left hand. I'm a retired heavy equipment mechanic and found I have chips of metal in my left hand. I can't swing my hand over the coil with dirt in it checking for my target I have to use my right hand. You might want to check your hands too save yourself the frustration I had figuring out what was going on. I'm not telling you how long it took me to figure this out. Lets just say I know now.

Well By for now, have fun out there. :rolleyes:

Nugget Man, Congress area AZ.