Hi DogRunner... The head guy is Walter Eason. He was or maybe still is with GPAA. Walter was one of the GPAA guys who years ago worked out an agreement between GPAA and USFS in AZ for some GPAA mining claim operations (POO). My impression is he's a straight shooter, and good guy.

The only concern I have with AMPO is the basic confusion they have over the type of prospecting I do. In AMPO mission statement they call it "recreational mining" when it's actually called "casual mining" under the CFRs. The difference is a major one. A 'casual' prospector falls under General Mining Law (GML), mining CFRs, NOI, and POO. A 'casual' prospector has protections requiring "administrative notification and administrative resolution" to problems before FS/BLM can issue a citation. But 'recreational' prospecting technically doesn't even exist under GML or CFRs, so your activity falls under different CFRs and you loose your GML rights and protections.

Seems a minor issue, but it's not. True story (about 10 years ago) example: Friend out with his dog MDing when FS LEO drives up and says "The Ranger sent me out to issue you a citation." They talk for a little bit and my friend inadvertantly says the word 'recreation'. The LEO at that point stops the discussion and writes him a violation, not for a prospecting problem, but for a recreation violation, no permit.

AMPO needs to change their mission statement and attitude to embrace 'casual' prospecting and educate people to call always themselves casual prospectors.

Keep Smiling...

Hi DogRunner... The head guy is Walter Eason. He was or maybe still is with GPAA. Walter was one of the GPAA guys who years ago worked out an agreement between GPAA and USFS in AZ for some GPAA mining claim operations (POO). My impression is he's a straight shooter, and good guy.

The only concern I have with AMPO is the basic confusion they have over the type of prospecting I do. In AMPO mission statement they call it "recreational mining" when it's actually called "casual mining" under the CFRs. The difference is a major one. A 'casual' prospector falls under General Mining Law (GML), mining CFRs, NOI, and POO. A 'casual' prospector has protections requiring "administrative notification and administrative resolution" to problems before FS/BLM can issue a citation. But 'recreational' prospecting technically doesn't even exist under GML or CFRs, so your activity falls under different CFRs and you loose your GML rights and protections.

Seems a minor issue, but it's not. True story (about 10 years ago) example: Friend out with his dog MDing when FS LEO drives up and says "The Ranger sent me out to issue you a citation." They talk for a little bit and my friend inadvertantly says the word 'recreation'. The LEO at that point stops the discussion and writes him a violation, not for a prospecting problem, but for a recreation violation, no permit.

AMPO needs to change their mission statement and attitude to embrace 'casual' prospecting and educate people to call always themselves casual prospectors.

Keep Smiling...

Keep Smiling...

Rick

thanks for the info

the club I am thinking about joining is working with AMPO and I was not sure who they might be or what they stand for

guess I will go to one of the meetings and ask some questions and see if I can get a feel for what is going on

Thanks

Dog Runner