Gold Basin in Oct.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count Me in, I'm in the GPAA, where are the camp grounds or sites? Thanx, Bigguy

Big Guy,

This will be dry desert camping. Just pick a spot that looks good and be self contained. The closest services, "not much", are at Meadview or Dolan Springs.

Bunk

Hi Bunk.

Can you guys post the GPS coordinates of the camp area most everyone will be at? I have never been to Gold Basin so I have no clue where to camp. I would hate to miss you guys by a few miles. I will be bringing my 4X4 truck so rough roads want be a problem if I can make it.

Keep'er Swinging

CH

CH, We will have the route to the camp spot well signed but I will try to come up with some GPS cords. Most of the roads around GB, are very good dirt roads. I drag a 34' toy hauler in there with no trouble.

Bunk

Bunk, It was great meeting you at the Minelab grand opening in Prescott.I'm the sign guy that was talking to you Rob and Dennis, I also have never been to the Gold basin area.Could you post some driving directions to get us to the right area? I'm looking forward to working a new area. Thanks ! Dave

Don't forget to bring some FIREWOOD. And remember, ALL are welcome at this outing. I will be ariving on 10-23 and staying all week, so if anyone wants to come out early, come on out!

Bunk

For those that will be new to the Basin area This is what you'll be looking for stakes with a white top and a letter " N"

I just cut up about 24 of em.

At the main road intersection Pierce Ferry Rd. and Gregs Hideout rd. I will have a larger sign saying "Nuggetshooter Reunion"

Once you get into the basin area Bunk has some signs we will set along with the stakes.

If ya can't find camp, go back home an git yer seeing eye dog an come back for a 2nd go round.

post-417-128709669177_thumb.jpg

That map may be rather confusing.

1. From Route 93 which runs between Las Vegas and Kingman Arizona take Pierce Ferry Road towards Dolan Springs. It's mile marker 41 coming from Las Vegas.

2. Be careful of your speed they love to run radar. Go through Dolan Springs heading towards Meadview. Before you get to Meadview you will come to the intersection of ANTARRES / GREG's Hideout Road. On the right side of Pierce Ferry it says Antarres, on the left of Pierce Ferry it says Greg's Hideout Road. Turn left. This is a good dirt graded road, but be careful, that hard packed road with gravel can cause spin outs.

3. Keep going on Greg's Hideout road until you cross the second set of CATTLE GUARDS.

4. There is fence on the other side of the cattle guard, and then a road. You can take that road, however it is not very good for trailers. If you do take that road, to the left, keep going and it will curve around to the right, keep going and you will see a cabin and some trailers off to the right, with a small wind turbine generator. That is Miner Dave's place. When you see his place you want to jog left a little and drop down into the road that takes you through White Elephant Wash. keep following that road for about 3/4ths of a mile and you will see the camp site on the right.

5. If you take the suggested route as depicted on the map (RED LINE) the road is better, however if you miss the turn off from Greg's Hideout road you will come up to the boundary fence of Lake Mead recreation area. If you do, you have gone to far, turn around and go back.

I have modified the map a bit to show you the alternate route.

goldbasin.jpg

I would seriously advise SNAKE GAITORS at this time of year, as the Mohave Greens love to come out. I would also advise that you leave your dogs at home. First, I know two dogs that have contracted Valley Fever at Gold Basin and two people. If you don't know what valley fever is, trust me, you don't want to get it. It is like having So when you are digging stand up wind of your hole so the dirt blows away from you. I also know two dogs that have been bitten my Mojave Greens at Gold Basin, the one died, the other barely survived and it was only because the prospector had anti-venon with him and administered it, and then rushed the dog to Kingman.

Mohave Green snakes venom is like that of a COBRA, unlike normal rattle snakes. It has both a Hemo-toxin and a neuro toxin. Anti-venon will only help the hemo-toxin, the neurological part is hard to treat. SO - don't get bit!

I've included my map, (not drawn to scale) and I will let you "GUESS" what the RED X's mean! :rolleyes:

gold%20basinmap.jpg

BCOT!

Doc

Bunk,

I am going to try.

It's sort of tough, my 20 year old daughter totaled her car. So we are down 1 car and we have to take her to both school and work. And she has classes on Saturday morning. So some days that can mean as many as 6 trips. Take her back and forth to school in the morning, then to work and back, sometimes she only gets 5 hours of work, then to school and back in the evening.

It's a little much for my wife to have to do all the driving, so I try to pitch in. Especially on Saturdays, because my daughter goes to school in the morning and to work in the afternoon and doesn't get off until 1 am in the morning.

Take care!

Doc

Thanks Doc! Frank and I will have both routes well marked. Are you going to be able to make it to the outing?

Bunk

A couple of years ago, we took our dog to our local Humane Society for "snake detection training"

It was very well run by professionals. They treat your dog as if it were their own.

They use de-fanged rattlesnakes, and when your dog approaches one, they give him/her a mild "zap" with a shock collar. It doesn't take very long for the dog to connect the sight, smell and sound of the snake to the shock he/she received. We were very pleased with the results with our dog.

I hope the link works: http://snakesafe.com/

I would think that there are other people who offer this service in other parts of the country. They could probably direct you to someone in your area.

Patrick in Havasu.....

Bunk

I'm driving up from Phoenix, pulling my 24 ft. toyhauler.Is there a place to fill up with water after Kingman? I can carry 100 gals.of fresh water and if I don't have to haul it from home I get better milage.I also can bring some blank coroplast sign making materials, so you don't have to buy any.I will be up there on Wed. and staying til Mon. Let me know by E-mail. davidlambimd@gmail.com ,

Thanks for the maps & info Doc!

How much firewood is needed? 1/2 cord, more or what?

The reason I ask is my truck is probably better suited for hauling wood than most. Maybe I can bring a bunch and spare some folks from schlepping dirty, buggy wood out there in their RV's.

Lemme know.

kelly

I would think you should be able to get water in Dolan Springs. And yes you will want to bring wood for sure, the evenings are getting pretty darn cool, and there is nothing that will burn around there. At least nothing that you could make a campfire out of.

Doc

Frank,

I've decided to bring a buttload of wood, so you're covered.

I'll make sure a stack has your name on it.

Look forward to meeting everyone and diggin in the dirt! :)

(Looks like GPAA, MPA & PAA will also be in the neighborhood so should be quite a party)

http://www.mohaveprospectors.org/PDF%20Files/MPA_NEWSLETTER_OCTOBER__2010.pdf

Archived