Sandtraps hunt with Rich and OLE Tailgate

Today, Jim Straight, sandtrap, and Rich went to a hunt around Randsburg area, Jerry finally killed the skunk and Jim too, with hJim useing the new version of the Gold Bug and Jerry using the Goldbug2 Rich was useing his tesoro Lobo St. Rich did not get lucky today, but OLO TAILGATE and Sandtrap did. Here's pictures. Grubstake

post-137-128814594866_thumb.jpg

post-137-128814613055_thumb.jpg

pretty cool, is that randsburg over in mojave ca.i go out there,havent found anything with my mxt 6x10 nugget shooter coil. but some decent flakes with my drywasher. been awhile though,but just curious,are you hunting club claim or just open areas.im looking to join a club with gd claims in the randsburg area,usually i join the oc 49ers.they have few decent claims.soon as i get my minelab, ill be back out looking again.

john

Hey Jim...I was over in Trona this weekend for my 46th HS reunion...About 750 people showed up...As I was driving back to Wickenburg on Sunday, I saw the Red Mountain downtown and thought about you being there...Maybe you were, huh? ... Cheers, Unc

Thanks everyone... Sandtrap and I were trying to see which one of us could find the smallest "speck." Actually we experimented as a team as the GB-2 and GB-Pro working together really worked well. The fly in the ointment was both Sandtrap and I have a hearing loss and had a communication problem... I think Rich thought we were yelling at each other... we were spelling the words... But it was a great day. :)

Uncle Ron... 46 years... Gosh my 60th was in 2008... Trona... back about 1975 I was working for a private soil lab and we did some drilling at Westend... In 1982 I did some freelance consulting at the Minietta, Defence, Suprise and Modoc...

gubelube... we were seeking the "decent flakes" as most of the gold is small "Bread and Butter" size. The MXT is a pretty good choice.

Paseclipse... Gosh you have found some nice gold... could you send us a map?

Grubstake... Well... again I was caught sitting on the back bumper so I cannot outlive being tailgate.

Guest sandtrap

The "moon" shot is unknown, by Jim.. Me, being the smart ass like I am, have to have some bathroom pictures.. "you will see, the next time you get down here, in Hell's 40 acres. :rolleyes:

Guest sandtrap

Uncle Ron, glad you made it out of the area safely.. 395 is getting to be a real killer,and rollover highway.. weekends are terrible on that hwy., as double yellow lines mean nothing to some drivers.. I went off the road twice, in the last month, with my Zuki, to avoid a headon.

Thanks everyone... Sandtrap and I were trying to see which one of us could find the smallest "speck." Actually we experimented as a team as the GB-2 and GB-Pro working together really worked well. The fly in the ointment was both Sandtrap and I have a hearing loss and had a communication problem... I think Rich thought we were yelling at each other... we were spelling the words... But it was a great day. :)

Uncle Ron... 46 years... Gosh my 60th was in 2008... Trona... back about 1975 I was working for a private soil lab and we did some drilling at Westend... In 1982 I did some freelance consulting at the Minietta, Defence, Suprise and Modoc...

gubelube... we were seeking the "decent flakes" as most of the gold is small "Bread and Butter" size. The MXT is a pretty good choice.

Paseclipse... Gosh you have found some nice gold... could you send us a map?

Grubstake... Well... again I was caught sitting on the back bumper so I cannot outlive being tailgate.

Hi Tailgate

Well done on the little guys,Would you mind doing a bit of a review on the nw Gold Bug Pro & comparrison to the Gold Bug 2 as I am looking at getting one just trying to gain some more info .

many thanks

Lee, from Australia

sandtrap and grubstake... there is no way that you guys have a "moonshot." So you cannot "I-GOTCHA me." :)

Gosh Bob and Lee... there is no way that I could "compare" either the "Pro" or the "2" other than say they are different... But they are VLF-type detectors.

The "2" is old school... a dedicated gold detector and does a great job of it. The "Pro" has a meter that gives a lot of information. With the accessory 11-inch coil it is also a coin detector and does a pretty good job

in a planted/seeded competetion-type hunt

But one thing that is not different both the "2" and the "Pro" are capable in finding small "bread and butter" eluvial gold nuggets. And I'm not saying anything negative about the ability of Tesoro Lobo Supertraq which Rich was swinging. One thing for sure... if you don't get the coil over a nugget you will not "beep" it.

Guest sandtrap

Thanks, Grubbie ! Actually, Jim was bending down to pick up his detector.that he had set down, while passing out apples to eat. I just could not resist posing that shot.. Who got who ? Just a little humor ?

Well Gosh and O'gee... Sandtrap is quick with his camera... I believe he may have hurt his back by raising his leg... If he wants to "play" with me he better be a good boy... because he did not know where the channel, as marked by the vertical old-timer drift shaft was and I took him "straight"... pun intended... to the spot although I had not been there since 2002 to work old tailings. Hey... I follow the drywashers and their old-time trash dating back as early as the 1890's wherever it leads me! They are my "Pathfinders." :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey fellas, im thinking about new detector, what would you guys recommend for out there in the rands, duinsburg areas. i have the mxt with a 6x10 nugget coil, but im just not that confident. i dont find but lead and nails, brass casings so on. and it doesnt seem like its picking them up that deep. maybe 2-4 inches at most. how deep was those nuggets you have posted. should my mxt pick them up, what depth should it pick up at. im thinking about the new gpx 5000 from rob. ive sold my boat and thats what i want, but is it what i need to break the ice. ive been all over them washes and trenches in the oc 49ers claims. im not new,but not the most skilled either. so im wanting to increase my chances the best i can. would the 5000 gpx be good for out there.it will be the last detector i buy for awhile. so i want to get what will work best.

ps, if ya all head out there again soon on weekend, and dont mind a tagalong id like to learn some experience from some pros. if not , i understand, i wont go pounding your spots, its just learning to work my detector the best i can that i want to learn.

john

Archived