Bluetooth setup for GPX-5000

Guest silentarrow

• Admin

Hello All,

Just wanted to let you all know I kept this thread going, but due to one prior forum members request, I have deleted their account and cleaned this thread up a bit. I think it's very informative about the Wireless concept, so please continue to post more information as it comes also. I also would like to thank Bill F., from Bill & Linda's website for joining the forums.

Just an update.

Rob Allison

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Wes this is Bill from Bill and Linda's. I don't recommend plugging directly into a GPX 4500, 4800 or 5000 with any headphone with my simple adapters. It may work ok if they're high impedance but why chance it. A lot of headphones out there are low impedanace and after a while you may smell smoke! My simple battery system was made to work with someones amplifier for isolation like Doc's, Chris or one of mine. These have a high like 600 ohm input impedaance. Definately don't plug a speaker system of low 8 ohms impedance into the adapter, (Minelab) your asking for smoke. Impedance is the resistance a AC circuit presents to a signal. Something you can't measure with a ohm meter like in total resistive circuits. Anyway stay safe, use my simple system with someones amp/booster on your expensive GPX. I didn't want to chime in on this but I was starting to smell smoke......Bill

Using a multimeter, measure the impedance( Resistance) of your headphones. Like the Koss- UR30 you should be reading around 100 Ohms, measuring with DC, the meter usually will not show exactly 100 ohms, but it will be close. This is a good way to see what your headphones impedance is.

• 3 weeks later...

Using a multimeter, measure the impedance( Resistance) of your headphones. Like the Koss- UR30 you should be reading around 100 Ohms, measuring with DC, the meter usually will not show exactly 100 ohms, but it will be close. This is a good way to see what your headphones impedance is.

I just wanted to double check something... the high impedance you mention is on a system like a 4000 without built in amp and wired up for speaker correct? You're not stating that plugging an 8ohm speaker as are sold by several board members into a GPX-4500 when properly wired as a speaker at the plug, you're going to toast the preamp outputs.

These little speakers everyone is wiring up with a simple plug and plugging into 4500's are 8 or 16 ohm, not 100 +/- so just wanted to clarify....

Also, when people are putting in the switch inline (inside the speaker housing), how many of you are just cutting the audio line or are any of you puttin in a resistor to reduce the volume rather than cut it off totally? I cut it off totally so I can use it as a kill switch to eliminate the speaker oscillation issue that JP demonstrated on one of his vids.

Cheers

Jen

Jen, I just asked Woody of detector mods in AU if it is safe to run headphones on an after market battery and he stated it is perfectly safe on any GPX.

I guess you just need an amp if you want to run an external speaker. Hopefully this clears things up for us.

Jen, I just asked Woody of detector mods in AU if it is safe to run headphones on an after market battery and he stated it is perfectly safe on any GPX.

I guess you just need an amp if you want to run an external speaker. Hopefully this clears things up for us.

Thanks Wes, I appreciate your response...

Cheers

Jennifer

Archived