A couple of Dwt's from an old location

• Admin

Hello All,

Today a friend and I went back to an old nugget location that has been pounded by us using the prior GPX4500's. This location has given up some nice gold over the years, so figured it would be a good place to spend a day with the new GPX5000's. The ground was pretty noisy, so it was a perfect fit for the new "Fine Gold" timing.

After about 4 hours of hunting we ended up with 8 gold nuggets. The biggest was probably only about 1/2 - 3/4 of a Dwt in weight, but heck they all add up. I ended up with 5 of 8 gold nuggets for a weight of 2 Dwt's (shown below).

The only variable we changed from the GPX4500 to the GPX5000 was the detector, all the other accessories we used were the same on both detectors.

My GPX5000 was equiped with the Goldscreamer Power Pack, Carbon Fiber Upper Shaft, Otto Lower Shaft, Coiltek 14-inch Goldstalker Mono Searchcoil & Black Widow Headphones. Ya, it's the "Cat's Ass!" :lol:

Take care,

Rob Allison

nice gold from a beat patch they must have been fairly deep to have been missed with 4500s great job, hey on another note im having some problems with sending ya a pm give me a call when you have a chance later bro

• Admin

Hey Grubstake, Kelly and Border Boy,

Grubstake - Thanks for the comments. Are you going to get out soon? I miss seeing your nugget pictures.

Kelly - That is like a loaded question, but I will do my best to answer it and maybe repost it as a new thread. For starters, I think Minelab detectors can be confusing when it comes to their labeling. The whole "Deep, General and Custom" is more confusing than anything.

These three settings are just factory pre-set settings for guys that know nothing about the unit. You can flip the switch into one of these three settings and take off and hunt. That being said, you can also customize these three settings to what you like and then save them. This is done by flipping the switch into one of the modes, let’s say "Deep" for starters."

Now let’s back up here for a second, when you're in the "Deep" mode and looking at your LCD screen, you will see there are settings already set up, but when you switch that toggle switch to "General" or "Custom" the settings will change. Like I said, these are three factory presets you have to work with.

How you can save your own 3 settings: When you're in "Deep," you can customize your own settings, volume, gain, audio, ground balance, iron reject and such .... to however you like it. Once you shut the GPX5000 off, those settings you just customized will now save over the factory Minelab presets in that "Deep" mode. You might label in your own mind that setting now as "Patch 1" or Shallow Ground" ect .... If you do this same thing with the "General" and "Custom" modes, you will have three of your own, completely customized settings you like. You can label them whatever you want in your mind, so the "Deep, General and Custom" don't mean anything anymore besides still being labeled on that toggle.

If you ever decide to change the unit back to stock or factory presets, you can do this by holding down the ON/OFF toggle switch until you get the screen that shows "Change all settings back to default."

You mentioned running settings together. You can run anything combo of settings together, but keep in mind the only thing you have to understand is timings. With the GPX5000 you get a total of 8 timings on this unit. Two of the timings, Normal and Enhance are their own timings and don't combine with the Special timings on the LCD that you can change.

Normal is its own timing, Enhance is its own timing and if you have Normal with Sensitive/Extra or Fine Gold for example, you really only have "Normal" timing.

If you want to use the other 6 timings, you must be in "Special timing" on the front control panel and then choose what timing you want from the LCD screen, which would be like "Salt Coarse, Fine Gold, Sensitive/Extra, Coil/Relic" and such.

I'm going to start a new thread on this.

Border Boy - Send you a PM.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Rob, I have so many DRS. Apointments at the VA in Fresno, I haven't gotten out, got 4 more coming this month, and some are SAT. apointments. It raining here right now, so it doe'snt look good for getting out. Maybe after I get done with the VA, what I started, It has to be finished, I also have an apointment with Social Security to put in for my retirement this month. not counting Dorthy's DRS. I hardly have time to Wipe my A**. But it will get better once I get this va pension. Grubstake

Rob,

As you know Bob "Montana" moved out to the Mother Lode. He and Betsy are still getting settled in, but manages to get out in the field a few days a week with his new GPX 5000. At one old beat to hell patch, I set Montana in it. He was hunting in Fine Gold and I'm not kidding you, he made it look like a fresh patch. Now every single Minelab (GP Extreme thru GPX 4500) and all the coils you can think about have been over this patch. That Fine Gold setting, really works and I'm very impressed. I just might have to find me a new GPX 5000, soon! Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

• Admin

Hey Lucky,

Yep, the "Fine Gold" timing is awesome. Wish I could show more of what I found, but it's a secret for now! :ph34r: Most of the gold I'm talking about is from the new timing.

A good friend of mine purchased the GPX5000 about two months ago. Prior to the 5000, he used the GPX4500 for about 2 years, solely using the Sensitive/Extra timing. When he purchased the GPX5000, he decided to stay with this timing. I finally convinced him a few weekends ago that he really needs to try "Fine Gold." He called this weekend and said he is now convinced "Fine Gold" is better. He found 7 nuggets with the new GPX5000/Fine Gold in a place he hunted hardcore with his GPX4500.

I think as time goes on, more and more gold will be popping out from this new timing. I have to admit, at first I was skeptical about it, but now I'm a believer! ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

Archived