First gold detecting

Last year I had a GM3 and only went out a few times with it. This year I had a GB2 for a short time and sold it to buy the GMT that I have now for about a month.

The guy that I was going to buy the SD minelab from is a really cool guy and I met up with him last Sun and today at a hydrolic pit he goes to. He was more concerned about me having the right detector for me rather than selling me the minelab and said he'd take me out to his spots and kind of coach me along with my GMT. He showed me a lot of stuff, go low and slow put that coil on the ground. He's actually a member here.

So last week he kind of "helped" me with his tesoro lobo and kind of found targets that I should go over with my GMT. And Damit, every target he thought was gold without even pulling a pick out and let me dig, WAS GOLD. So those are the three little pickers on the left.

Today we went out and he brought his GP Extreme with a 18" Coiltec coil. The cool part about today was, I looked for my own places to hunt where I thought gold might be, kind of prospected it out on my own, and found two decent pickers! And skunked him with the minelab! :P (sorry man :))

So yeah, cool day, my first gold with a detector. Got a lot to learn but starting to get familiar with the GMT and how to identify different things.

first-gold.jpg

Man u call those nuggets :rolleyes: CONGRATS.

I know... heheh more to come, more to come... better tune up that minelab though, next time I ain't going easy on ya :D

WTG!.... know the feeling!

more to come for sure....

you should have kept the GB2....lol

paul

• Admin

Hello WJBell,

Congrats on the recent finds. Great to hear someone from the forums took the time with you in the field. The time learning from an experienced person can equal the weight in gold.

Like I tell everyone, knowing the area, type of gold and mineralization can determine what detector might be the best for that location. Minelab PI's might not be the ticket for every location. I know some of the pits in California contain mostly smaller nuggets, so a big Minelab might not be the hot ticket to find those little tiny nuggets or pickers. A high freq. VLF will do much better overall.

The flip side of that coin is there might be some bigger ones still buried or in the banks that a Minelab might have a better shot at. Most of the guys I know have a good VLF and a good Minelab PI and use them together in those areas successfully.

Wishing you much more success in the field and a big "Thank You" for someone willing to help a fellow prospector in the field.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Archived