60,000 miles in a box (truck)

Today marks one year of living and traveling in my F450 box truck, dubbed the Kovert Kamper for its intentionally-plain appearance.

The primary goal of keeping the truck stock was for free urban camping.

It's been a fun adventure - crossing the country twice - discovering prospecting along the way, much looking/little finding, beautiful scenery, mechanical issues, seeing family and old friends, dog stolen, meeting new friends, new dog, getting winched away from an Idaho cliff, joining new gold clubs, challenging projects in the truck, dodging storms and more.

Photos, video and brief log here:

Part One

Part Two

I look forward to meeting more of you out in the dirt! :)

kelly

p.s. Here's anniversary day PHOTOS and a short VIDEO

I read both parts and what a cool adventure. Bad luck on the truck engine and what kind of lowlife would steal a dog? Not surprising it happened in Sacramento area...

Will there be a part3?

Kelly,

It was great to meet you in Gold Basin a few weeks ago and hear a couple of your stories in the crowd.

I am the guy that had the white Dodge dually with orang DesertFab lettering down the side (sorry for blocking that "road"). I used you as my unofficial guinea pig in that I figured "If he can make it in a box truck, my dually should be fine."

Next time you're in Phoenix, catch up with me and I'll take a look over your truck's road worthiness.

What a wild, sad, fun and interesting story to tell!

Hey Kelly,

Nice meeting you up on the claims, the other day.

Didn't know just what to make of that big "ol" white truck roaring up the hill the other day. Thought maybe some company was making a mining supply delivery to someone way out in the boonies.

Are you still around here, or are you on the road again??

Bob T.

Thanks, Mark. It's been a blast.

Uncle Ron - I appreciate you looking through it.

wjbell - re: Part 3 - I've slowed down on the log since my days are more alike now. I'm actually more interested in

recording brief interviews with prospectors like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/notoriouskelly#p/u/3/c7i6i9L9MYg

Y'all are good company and I believe you're far more interesting than what's on TV.

Glenn M- Parking on that road worked out well - it made me look around and realize there was a better route in to my spot,

which I took from then on.

The Powerstroke would climb walls if the front suspension could handle it. Thanks for the offer to look at the truck.

I'll be back in Phoenix in a week so might catch up with you.

Chata says Thanks for the steak bites.

Colorado Bob- Cool meeting you and Prez George. I was happy to remove some rusty junk from Middle Camp ;)

I swung back by Phoenix to get oil leak fixed (warranty repair :) but I'm heading to Quartzsite again for the club outing

and some beeping.

You are a great conversationalist so I look forward to chatting again.

Frank C- We sure appreciate all of your efforts at the outing. That sausage & peppers dinner was fantastic.

I added Gold Basin photos to Part Two.

• Admin

Hey Kelly,

Great to read your blog about your journey around the US. I just want to thank you again for your business and friendship. Glad I was able to get you over a nice Arizona gold nugget, at least you have something to remember me by. :) Wishing you a safe voyage, many gold nuggets under your coil and all the experiences and friends you will meet along the way.

P.S. Keep me updated on the Falcon MD20 and how you like it.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Rob,

It's a pleasure doing business with someone of your caliber and ethics. Appreciate the sweet nug, too. B)

I appreciate after-the-sale support and this forum, and am passing out your cards here in Quartzsite area.

May you get so busy with gold and biz that you can ditch the j-o-b.

Thank you,

kelly :)

wjbell - re: Part 3 - I've slowed down on the log since my days are more alike now. I'm actually more interested in

recording brief interviews with prospectors like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/notoriouskelly#p/u/3/c7i6i9L9MYg

Yeah, that was pretty cool, just now watched it. I'm going to check out more of your videos.

Archived