headin back out

well, i decided i am gonna head out again tomorrow if weather permits. not supposed to rain. it might be cold, but im fine with that.got my oc 49ers claim guide in so im gonna try new area and use my big 15x12 eptilectical mono coil on some flat land.its the only coil i havent tried yet. im hoping to find my first nug, but if i dont oh well.ill enjoy it none the less.anyone have any tips on that coil.my new cam broke so usually something good happens when ya cant prove it so , no camera means a nugget lol.but if i find one, ill def find or buy new cam. lol

john

John, Good luck out there tomorrow, I was out in Last Chance Canyon area today, very windy and cold...Skunkd!!!

Jeff

Guest sandtrap

John, I have an 8 am appointment in town ,tuesday, lasting about 2 hours.. If you hit on your first nugget, call me on my cell phone, and we can meet at the Store, and I'll take the picture for you..

jeff, im oping for better weather tomorrow, if not oh well. im determined lol.ive got some pretty warm clothes. ive got some rocky hunting boots that make ur whole body sweat lol. im gonna check out few new places. just get out of the house again and try my luck.and play with my new minelab.let me know when you headin back out jeff. we could meet up and do some detecting.

jerry , if and when i find my fist nugg, ill be yelling so loud you will hear me. just come where it soundslike a coyote got hit by a truck lol.my cam messed up the other day. i definately will call you and let you take my pic buddy. wish you was a going with me. let me know when you can get some free time again.

john

Hi John;

if your boots have a metal in-sole support or brass rivets your Minelab will detect either from a good distance, especially with larger coils...timing your swing to be away from your leading foot will help alleviate this problem...same with your pick, if it is on your side it will likely intrude on the detection field...if you already know these things, sorry...but some other newbies may not...

good luck, the first nugget can be difficult to capture...

fred

fredm, thanks. im a newbie for sure. ill take all advice i can get.ive been picking up some small birdshoy and lots of tiny peices of lead and iron. im planning on going to get my lessons from rob after the new yr.i had to ccell the trip. got up early, looked outside and itwas clear and sunny. weather says severe stormand 70% rain by 10 am with 55mph winds. lots snow. so i decided to wait for better weather and be safe.bummer. i was looking forward to it.oh well. ill just relax and tinker around on the forums today.

john

flak, if i was fshing or bowhunting. id welcome the storm. ive done my best during the bad weater lol. but ive got jst a little too much invested in my gpx 5000 to take any chances. im sure ill get back out soon weather permits. was supposed to be clear and warm all week and very sunny by weds. but the weather people never are right.lol

john

thanks, ill give it a try when its over, was supposed to be pouring by 10 am. its 11 now. not a drop. little cloudy, but sun is shining through here and there. i have a jeep with good mud tires. excellent waterproof boots. i dont mind gettin dirty. just wish the weather people would get the weather straight. costing me some exploring and field time lol.oh well.ill just do some research and tinker around here.

john

Flak... Good point about the ground becoming slippery...

john, keep alert for a "sunbaker." They have a sheen when wet. I know of two within the past years. One was found on the slope in the El Pasos and the other was found on the Rand slope... I saw the one found on the Rand Slope; it was six-penny weight and the finder was not prospecting, but she was just walking from one "Club/Association" Claim to visit another friend at another Club claim.

fred knows about the 5000 and how to get the best out of it... Both Jerry and Richard are most knowlegeable regarding the Randsburg Greater Area... and to All of You who have posted tidbits of information... keep 'em coming... :) Best to all over the Thanksgiving Holiday... Jim

Flak... Good point about the ground becoming slippery...

john, keep alert for a "sunbaker." They have a sheen when wet. I know of two within the past years. One was found on the slope in the El Pasos and the other was found on the Rand slope... I saw the one found on the Rand Slope; it was six-penny weight and the finder was not prospecting, but she was just walking from one "Club/Association" Claim to visit another friend at another Club claim.

fred knows about the 5000 and how to get the best out of it... Both Jerry and Richard are most knowlegeable regarding the Randsburg Greater Area... and to All of You who have posted tidbits of information... keep 'em coming... :) Best to all over the Thanksgiving Holiday... Jim

howdy jim, i might sound a little uneducated, but whats a sunbaker? would that be a gold nugget on the surface? yes i really appreciate all the great people with their knowledge and experience they are iving me. yes ol jerry and rich are 2 of a kind. i really enjoy being out with them. i just got coiple of your books from mikes coin and jewelry in bakersfield other day. the advanced prospecting hard rock, and the follow the drywasher bible.they didnt have the new 3 hrs to gold or whatever it is, so i wasnt able to get it. but they said tell ya to send them some, or contact hem, they wanna purchase some.ill try and get one when i go to randsburg again. hopefully they still hav one. ive heard alot about that book alrady. glad i got them. lots of great info for beginners and pros. very handy on a rainy day. i had ol sandtrap sighn the pics of him in them though. like to pass em on to my grandchildren someday, if i ever hav any lol.ive got just one son, i raise him by myself. he is my gold nugget.lol ,anywas, im gonna be out there as soon as it says its clearing up.work is slow, so im taking advantge of this free time.

john

hi Jim; thanks for the undeserved complement...I am afraid to use a 5000'cause I know I will then NEED one...Flac and many other are already up to speed on the 5000...Minelab has taken the work out of the initial start-up learning curve...but, that is only the beginning...............

Fred

well, not a drop of rain today.was supposed to start pouring around 10am and 55mph winds all day and nite.its calm, bit cloudy, no rain. well i take that back. it just stared to rain and its pouring lol.i could have been beepin.urrrrg!whats up with the weather forcast on the news??? says its supposed to be sunny tomorrow and thurs and friday.i guess ill give it a try tomorrow then.

john

John...I have found weather.com to be reasonably accurate...always check the 10 day with text as it is more informative....still forcasting is not hard science yet

fred

jeff called me today. we decided to meet for a hunt. hes a member of the 49ers also. it was ugly all the a til we got over the hill of tehachepi by mojave. then it was clear blue sky and not a cloud all day.was sunny. little cool but very comfortable with a decdent jacket. we hit couple claims, no luck again. its ok i enjoyed meeting jeff and doing what i love to do, be outdoors. i used the 15x12 mono commander coil all day. i think my right arm is bigger than my left now.lol. anyways, whoever told me in the other post that id be diggin to china was def right. i dug lead slugs as deep as 1 1/2 feet easy. thought fror shure when i got that deep it was a big nug. but its ok. i learned how to dig deep lol.well, ill be waiting for holidays, maybe even go out friday. maybe this weekend. dont worry, i havent put a dent in that desert yet. got the new jim straight 3 hours to gold book. that was worth the ride alone.and them miner egg sandwiches are pretty good at rand general store. i love the old fashion soda fountain. good stuff.all in all, i met a new freind, ate good food, got the book i wanted, did some beeping, dug to china and was an awesome day outside.

john

Archived