story

howdy all, its dead here, so maybe this will get some stuff stirred up. this is a great topic. id like to hear everyones story on finding their first nuget detecting. where it was found,what type detector,hwdeep, what it weihed,and any other details you care to provide, even some pics if avail. just trying to get all ya to liven up this place som. im sure everyone has a story on their first nugg.

john

comon fellas, 24 veiws and none of ya have a story about your first nugget detecting. just a simple i area,weight,type of detector, coil, how deep. i havent found one yet. but i wont be shy to join in.

john

First nugget was a quartz specie about 2 dwt of yellow on the side of a hill with a White's GMT,about 4 inches deep.It gave a small uh-uh signal with headphones.Found many more,all species.But alas gave up beeping due to health issues.

thanks dave for sharing that, very interesting. sorry about your health issues. hope all gets well.maybe you breaking the ice will draw others in to follow.it will be interesting to know when people found their first nugget and other details.

john

Guest sandtrap

Hi John, been busy all day.

My first nugget was with a Whites' GM4B It was found in an area where I used a rope to hold onto, going down to a little nugget flat spot, an old timer told me about.. There still is gold to be found on the East Fork of the San GAbriel River I can't do that kind of stuff, as you know, hunting with me, but this was years ago. It weighed in at a little over 3 Grams..

Hi John, been busy all day.

My first nugget was with a Whites' GM4B It was found in an area where I used a rope to hold onto, going down to a little nugget flat spot, an old timer told me about.. There still is gold to be found on the East Fork of the San GAbriel River I can't do that kind of stuff, as you know, hunting with me, but this was years ago. It weighed in at a little over 3 Grams..

hey jerry , glad to see you post. wow, thats cool. well, if ya dont mind holding the rope and lowering me down, im game lol. im gonna try and go out there tomorrow. taking an old guy who works around my yard for me. he kinda a homeless fella, bt works hard and i help him out. so i thought id take him for a ride since he has no friends to do anything like that with. hes a old fella that had some hard luck, a nice sandwhich and few bucks in his pockets and he works hard. anyways. when ya get free again. lets hit the dessert. supposed to be clear til friday. but who knows.

john

When I made up my mind that I was going to find a nugget with a detector, it took me about two months. I had been prospecting for years but not with a detector. I had a pretty good gold machine years back but I never learned how to use it. My first year of detecting, I found thirty nuggets but I had that coil to the ground every chance I got. Wish I had that kind of time these days. The one on the left was my first, my second was the next day at Rich Hill, with a ML3500 and a 8" coil.

Bunk

post-28833-12906033845_thumb.jpg

When I made up my mind that I was going to find a nugget with a detector, it took me about two months. I had been prospecting for years but not with a detector. I had a pretty good gold machine years back but I never learned how to use it. My first year of detecting, I found thirty nuggets but I had that coil to the ground every chance I got. Wish I had that kind of time these days. The one on the left was my first, my second was the next day at Rich Hill, with a ML3500 and a 8" coil.

Bunk

wow bunk, nice nugs and great story. 30 nugs in a year. cool deal. im hoping to break the birdshot and slug record. im sure quite a few of ya guys are way ahead of me, but i might have the biggest slugs and deepest lol. i went back out again, no luck. guess im gonna have to get me tent trailer or something and just move out there till i get one lol.thanks for sharing.

john

• Admin

Hello Gubelube,

Well my first gold nugget that I can talk about was found in the mid 90's with a Minelab XT17000. I found a few small pieces in the years prior with an orignal Tesoro Lobo, but they were just dinks.

The first sizeable one was found on an old ancient bench on a major gold bearing drainage here in Arizona. I was using the XT17000 with a small 6-inch round DD. The piece was found under a bunch, was just over 7 Dwts and only about an inch deep. I was so excited I started shooting my handgun off in the air. Later this location turned out to be a decent patch and many more nuggets and specimens were found by myself and a few friends with early Minelab PI's.

I can still remember this day like it just happened. A lot of good memories and friends met on that gold bearing creek.

Rob Allison

nice rob, thanks for sharing. im so looking forward to my first. i know with patience,dedication,some tips from all u guys and some serious swinging of the coil that im just around the corner from my first. i just hope its a biggin lol. ill take whatever i get but i like dreamin lol.its so cool to have this forum and all you guys with experience to help a guy like me and newbies out.so i like to take this moment and say thanks to all you guys steppin up and sharing your knowledge. if you look at the veiws its up there quite a bit almost 300, seems like we would have more than 9 replies out of that. so post like this and others do get looked at. but it takes you guys replying to keep this forum alive and somethin to talk about. im sure there are alot more wanting to share, just havent yet. lets hear it fellas, if ya cant remember your first and just wanna talk about a special one you remember or any nugget that brings back a memory, step up. its all the same. just some nugget stories here. i got my first nugget with my gpx 5000 when i bought it lol. it came with it lol. thanks rob lmao. i keep that little dink in my pocket 24hrs a day and slip it under my pillow. i keep my gun next to me, tooth fairy aint making someone a gold tooth out of my dink lol.

john

Hello Gubelube,

Well my first gold nugget that I can talk about was found in the mid 90's with a Minelab XT17000. I found a few small pieces in the years prior with an orignal Tesoro Lobo, but they were just dinks.

The first sizeable one was found on an old ancient bench on a major gold bearing drainage here in Arizona. I was using the XT17000 with a small 6-inch round DD. The piece was found under a bunch, was just over 7 Dwts and only about an inch deep. I was so excited I started shooting my handgun off in the air. Later this location turned out to be a decent patch and many more nuggets and specimens were found by myself and a few friends with early Minelab PI's.

I can still remember this day like it just happened. A lot of good memories and friends met on that gold bearing creek.

Rob Allison

So that's how all those bullets we find get there.... LOL

I hunted with a 2200SD, 3000, for many years.... no nuggets got fed up and sold all detecting stuff. Well, I was on one of my dredge claims with a friend who lent me his GMT.... I had no idea how to run a VLF, but low and behold I actually found my first nugget with a borrowed detector that I had no idea how to run! Bought Denny's old 3500 and have found gold ever since... not a bunch, maybe 1 for every 10 or 15 that my homies get, but I still find gold now and my biggest nugget is 6.14 oz with a GPX 4000 and stock 11" DD coil on one of Lucky's golden Patches

IMG_4592.jpg

I hunted with a 2200SD, 3000, for many years.... no nuggets got fed up and sold all detecting stuff. Well, I was on one of my dredge claims with a friend who lent me his GMT.... I had no idea how to run a VLF, but low and behold I actually found my first nugget with a borrowed detector that I had no idea how to run! Bought Denny's old 3500 and have found gold ever since... not a bunch, maybe 1 for every 10 or 15 that my homies get, but I still find gold now and my biggest nugget is 6.14 oz with a GPX 4000 and stock 11" DD coil on one of Lucky's golden Patches

IMG_4592.jpg

wow, now that what im talking about. a real story. got a beautiful large nugget on a borrowed detector. man, thats awesome. thanks el dorado. very nice find and story to boot. i might be going to pick up my cousin this wk end in az. might have to hit a patch while im there. thats if i go.

john

Archived