One More Deep Nugget Before the Storm

The Weatherman does try to give their best guess! They've been wrong most of the weekend, but it's coming down now pretty good now. There is a magical time period when our soil has just the right moisture. To much moisture and you get lots of false signals. I have a patch with deep nuggets and you don't have a chance at them in the Summer Months, the soil has to be wet to help your detector to recognize them. This morning Robin & I, hit this patch in search of a deep (larger) nugget(s). Now, when I hunt deep nuggets with my Minelab, I listen for strange sounds besides the classic sounds of a shallower nugget. These sounds can vary from a Wire like sound to a Warbled sound to just a change in the Threashold sound. Of course you have to detect very slow and rub your coil on the ground to really check these sounds out and dig a few inches to see if the noise increases. I recieved a change in the Threashold sound and circled it and it was a repeatable noisey spot. I dug down 3 inches, and the sound was better, now more of a Wire sound, but no-where near the target. 7 more inches down, I check the hole again. It was a pretty good target, but not screaming at me. So 3 more inches and the target was out of the hole and in my large pile of dirt and it was a booming target now. The nugget was a nice big flat as a Dime, 2.7 dwt'er. It must have been sitting on edge, cause if it was flat it would have been more of a classic sound. I know you oldtimers know these tricky nuggets and I love to dig those hard to hear ones, so checkout all those sounds, you never know! Until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy

5Dec10ScoopCoil.jpg

5Dec10DimeNug.jpg

5Dec10Scale27.jpg

Hey Lucky,

You really know your machine and use it to its full extent! I allways feel like I have done something, when I find a deep one. Congrats on the nugget.

Bunk

Archived