whites mxt, no gold yet

Hi

I,m new to detecting and have a whites MXT. been out several times and I find lots of bullets and aluminum cans but no gold yet. I have been a placer miner for several years and most always find gold with sluice box and pan. I thought I knew how to spot areas with gold but no luck with detecter. I know the MXT doesn't have much depth but its all I could afford right now. I always try to find bedrock for shallow gold. Am I wasting my time with the MXT? any advice would be great thanks. Dean

hi, im a newbie also. although i own a minelab 5000 now. i still have my first detector which is a mxt. i use a 6x10 nugget coil.the 4x6 is prefered but its works. i havent found any gold with it yet either. i beleive the mxt is capable to find gold.i just havent spent alot time using it. i hear its number one in alaska as there isnt much mineralization. im sure others will chime in. i know that the mxt will pick up my test nugget at decent depths. and its just matter of getting it over a nugget.where are you lacated and what area are you searching. im going to randsburg in majave dessert in ca. i finally found my first 2 nuggs after many hours with my new 5000.so its not just the detector,its the time,research and getting it over some gold.from my understanding there are better nugget detectors for same price, i didnt realize it when i got the mxt, i wanted all around detector.whites have a website and there are people finding nice gold with the mxt.so its definately capable.dont give up. i spent 3 weeks everyday til i found my first,and thats with a gpx 5000 so just to show you regardless the detector,it just dont happen cause you got the best,takes time and covering the area good.a goldbug 2 might have been better or gmt or tereso lobo. but dont give up on the mxt.it will find gold and at decent depth.its not the most sensitive but will find small gold. just keep at it and gd luck.

john

Dean,

Your MXT will find gold, just dig everything that gives you a 60% reading or less. Even though it's a VLF, move your coil very slow and if your in a proven gold area, you should kick one up soon! Read you manual and max your machine out. Here's a picture of a nugget I found with my MXT.

LuckyLundy

9Mar09GregDitch2.jpg

Dean,

Your MXT will find gold, just dig everything that gives you a 60% reading or less. Even though it's a VLF, move your coil very slow and if your in a proven gold area, you should kick one up soon! Read you manual and max your machine out. Here's a picture of a nugget I found with my MXT.

LuckyLundy

9Mar09GregDitch2.jpg

thanks for the reply guys, i'll keep on trying. I do use the same DD coil in Lucky's picture. Air test with a 2 gram nugget at home seems to work at about 6-8", I going to bring nugget out in field and see what it sounds like at different depths. I live in Lake Tahoe area and get down to gold country about once a week, its nice to get out of the snow for a day. thanks again, I'll post my first nugget hopefully soon. Dean

thanks for the reply guys, i'll keep on trying. I do use the same DD coil in Lucky's picture. Air test with a 2 gram nugget at home seems to work at about 6-8", I going to bring nugget out in field and see what it sounds like at different depths. I live in Lake Tahoe area and get down to gold country about once a week, its nice to get out of the snow for a day. thanks again, I'll post my first nugget hopefully soon. Dean

Some good tips in here.

http://www.findmall.com/search.php?27,search=gold+nugget,author=,page=1,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=25,match_threads=0

Dean,

LuckyLundy

9Mar09GregDitch2.jpg

Lucky

i was just wondering about this photo. it looks like you dug up nugget in grass and real fine soil, no gravel? any tips? thanks Dean

Dean,

LuckyLundy

9Mar09GregDitch2.jpg

Lucky

i was just wondering about this photo. it looks like you dug up nugget in grass and real fine soil, no gravel? any tips? thanks Dean

im pretty sure that photo is up in northern ca. unless your detecting dessert or riverbeds, hes probably in the mountains in the motherload area.but im just guessing. that mxt is a good detector, ive found alot of small birdshot and peices of lead.i never really did alot of detecting with it for nuggets, just few trips.that coil lucky has is the same as i got also,not sure if iuts the 6x10 like mine or the 4x6in.both gd for nuggethunting.i been at it for over 3 weeks almost everyday driving 1 1/2 hrs each way to dessert.nice nuggets have and are neing found everyday. i swing from the moment i get there til dark. at least 6-8hrs non stop. no breaks lol.but thats just me. i barely got my new gpx 5000 over couple small ones the other day.just cause ya got the best doesnt mean gold.ya have to be in gd area,get the coil over a nugget to find one.knowing the machine is the most important thing.learn how to dial that mxt in and youll find nice nuggets sooner or later.just few days ago in the area where i found my 2 small dinks, up higher in the wash next to the one i was in a guy from the club scored a 3/4 ozer.thats like 2 or 3 nice nugs i heard of up high or on the top of the mountain.i never checked up high or on the top, just worked the lower part and sides where the small runoffs comming down the hillside flatten out.thats where i scored my 2.im headed back out tomorrow to check the higher parts and the top.ive got lots of time out there and using the best detector and im getting skunked alot also.so keep your hopes up,keep trying.its a matter of time.most of all, the treasure is in the peace, the nature and the gift of god to be able to have a hobby like this possible.if you have any clubs close with gold producing claims, thats your best bet.im gonna join 2 or 3 more to open my possibilities to other locations to change up the scenery here and there.anyways gd luck and lucky and others will chime in. thats whats great about this place, these awesome guys love to help.remember they were all where we are at one time in their life.so if they can score nuggs,so can we!!!!

john

Archived