Guido In Afghanistan

Hello all! Guido here! I am in Afghanistan serving God and Country! No...I am not metal detecting...I am trying to leave metal! I have been to many places in my life and seen many deserts...but nothing like this one! The dirt here is like baby power. It can be three inches thick on base. It is VERY dusty and if the wind starts to blow man you are hurting! It can rain mud here from the suspended dust in the air and there is no way to get away from it. All kinds of people here, Germans, Austrians, Canadians, British, Afghans, Australians, Dutch, Koreans, and the good old USA. I can assure you be glad you were born in America. What a tortured countryside. We are keeping busy and the time should go fast. My picture is the first photo as I wear a multicam jacket as I stand on the right with a war buddy...No rocket attacks yet, but they are coming! Guido

I would like to thank you all for your comments. I will defiantly be ducking if I detect anything metallic! I can safely say we are all doing are very best over here to take care of business and hit the mark...sort of speak. Guido

Guido - your service is respected and appreciated.

However, as a fellow resident of the great dustbowl state of Nevada, your comments on the baby powder dust and dust clouds made me laugh - we have the same, right here in good old Nevada. I've always heard the term for it is bug dust. Many back country Nevada roads are lined with it, and when the wind blows, well, it moves on to the next county in Nevada.

Keep yourself safe and come back to the good old dust clouds of Nevada when your service is completed!

Chris

Guido - your service is respected and appreciated.

However, as a fellow resident of the great dustbowl state of Nevada, your comments on the baby powder dust and dust clouds made me laugh - we have the same, right here in good old Nevada. I've always heard the term for it is bug dust. Many back country Nevada roads are lined with it, and when the wind blows, well, it moves on to the next county in Nevada.

Keep yourself safe and come back to the good old dust clouds of Nevada when your service is completed!

Chris

Thanks Chris..but I have to disagree...I have been living in Nevada for the last 10 years..no comparison. I have not seen a blue day yet, and that's on a dead calm day. CO-workers say this is the dirtiest place they have ever been too. And we are all from Vegas...I have work on the Nellis Range for 10 years as well. I know the Nevada desert and yes there are those kinds of roads you refer too, but it is the entire country! This is a whole new level. Since I have been here the whole country side sky is a light brown haze that never cease. Even at altitude flying here you can tell dust is in the cabin and some people walk around with dust masks. It's rather amazing and a pain in he butt at the same time. The Nevada desert is allot better and cleaner. Guido

God bless you and keep all of you safe Guido.

In Australia, we call it "bulldust" It's red, like baby powder, deep and sticks like sh*t when it's wet. HORRIBLE stuff.

Be safe

Robert

So right Robert, I have an extra set of boots for that day! My Apologies to all...I never made it clear. I am not in Tactical Vehicles, they do make excellent camera fodder to prove a point! What I do I cannot say...

Thank You Guido for your many years of service to OUR COUNTRY and your continued fight to keep mine and my family's FREEDOM. I have 2 kids now serving along with numerous nephews and cousins. Know that you are always in our prayers and that THE GOOD OL' USA awaits your safe return. Thanx, Bigguy

Stay Safe and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Do you think they will let you push the RED button when the time comes. :mellow:

HotRock

Ahhh...like that question! They already sent a rocket are way a few days back...The intensity is low. There farming at this time and I guess it too cold for them, walking around in PJ's. I'll press that red button twice just to be sure! Guido...

Archived