New to detecting

Hi folks. I live in siskiyou county, ca and am not new to prospecting. I do a lot of sniping, and have wanted to get into detecting, but I know nothing about it really except a little of what I have been reading. I want to get a detector, but don't want to spen more than a grand until I do it for a while and determine if its a hobby I want to invest more money in. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do know there is lots of heavy mineralized ground here in western siskiyou county so that might help narrow it down a bit. I have read a lot of GB2's and the TLST. Anyone have any opinions of these 2 or something comperable? Thanks-Brian :D

Hi folks. I live in siskiyou county, ca and am not new to prospecting. I do a lot of sniping, and have wanted to get into detecting, but I know nothing about it really except a little of what I have been reading. I want to get a detector, but don't want to spen more than a grand until I do it for a while and determine if its a hobby I want to invest more money in. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do know there is lots of heavy mineralized ground here in western siskiyou county so that might help narrow it down a bit. I have read a lot of GB2's and the TLST. Anyone have any opinions of these 2 or something comperable? Thanks-Brian :D

Welcome , i would keep my eyes out (patience)for a minelab 2100 or extreme sometimes they can fall into this price range, vlfs are great but if in heavy min. your better off running pulse machines. Good luck

Hey Brian! I have used both the Goldbug II, and the Lobo SuperTRAQ. Between the two I prefer the Tesoro machine - especially if you are a "Greenhorn!" There is NO learning curve with the Lobo. It auto ground balances, and has auto tracking to KEEP it balanced in highly mineralized soil. It is my opinion that the Lobo's continual upgrades and software technology surpassed the GMT and Goldbug several years ago. Good luck and big nuggets no matter what machine you choose! You will hear as many different opinions as there are prospectors, but keep this in mind..

Gold prospecting is like making love - Everyone has their favorite way to do it, and even if you are doing it badly it still feels good! :rolleyes: Terry

I have an extreme and a tesoro lobo st they r both great machines.wen I first started detecting I got the lobo st then later upgraded to the extreme.the lobo st is a turn on and go machine very small learning curve and finds sub grain gold. Whites has great machines to.

Hey Brian! I have used both the Goldbug II, and the Lobo SuperTRAQ. Between the two I prefer the Tesoro machine - especially if you are a "Greenhorn!" There is NO learning curve with the Lobo. It auto ground balances, and has auto tracking to KEEP it balanced in highly mineralized soil. It is my opinion that the Lobo's continual upgrades and software technology surpassed the GMT and Goldbug several years ago. Good luck and big nuggets no matter what machine you choose! You will hear as many different opinions as there are prospectors, but keep this in mind..

Gold prospecting is like making love - Everyone has their favorite way to do it, and even if you are doing it badly it still feels good! :rolleyes: Terry

Amen brother :lol::lol:

I'm fairly new to detecting and live in high mineralized ground territory. I've owned a GM3, GB2 and now a GMT. I love the GMT, but going out hunting with guys with minelabs I see the advantages. Way deeper and ignoring ground noise. They say the VLF's get the smaller gold but I've seen the minelabs find some pretty small pickers. To be honest, if I want to find gold smaller than that I'll run some buckets at the river. I want to detect for something with a little more size. Like someone else said, try to get a deal on an older model PI. I haven't been detecting for a long time but it seems like that's the way to go.

As a former Siskiyou boy myself I can tell you you're in some good ground. Consider the Whites TDI for a first pulse machine rather than going used Minelab. About the same price, but brand new and without the potential service problems down the road.

Digger Bob

Archived