Where would YOU choose to detect first?

Here's a fun question for the more experienced detectorist. =)) Let's say you approach this new area and you were allowed to detect anywhere in the picture below. Which areas would be your two top choices and why?

In other words, where's the highest probable location of finding some nuggets?

detector.png

I think you need more letters...

In all honesty it depends on several factors including geology and past mining history. Find out the history of the area.

No handicaps! We must go by appearance only. No homework, nada. We just happened to drop in and the detector fell into our hands... where would we go?

Well until gold starts going up hill I'd start at each wash that flattens out at the bottom.Now if I was finding gold there then I'd like to know where it's coming from.That's when I'd start up the hill looking for it's source.

Remember low and slow.

Chuck Anders

I would have to say D, because from the picture, it looks like an eluvieo fan.Spelling} Grubstake

I'd stick the detector back in the car and do some looking around...Looking across towards the road way running on the other side of the stream hat I see past your left elbow the road is cut into that hill. Which way did older water run...are the hill sides there holding what looks like washed round rocks any place...

Is that a home or a gov. building across the stream there. Ask them if they know any history.

If not grab a pan and see if you find any color and where did you find color..then follow it back up the hill...

Or be like them guys in alaska gold and dig everywhere and pan nothing ....hoping to find the mother load.

D & C

I go for the percentages. D and C represents a deposit area for the very steep hill at the right, and the smaller hills on the left. The steep hill would have shed any gold straight down into those gullies at the bottom. And you have drainage from all the hills on the left.

When you look at the enormous amount of square footage of run off from these two mountains D & C looks to be the first place where the slope of the ground changes and would allow gold to deposit.

However, this is assuming that those areas shows the geology that indicated possible gold bearing ground. And if you're going to try and detect E or F you better tie your detector to a Mountain Goat's ass

Doc

Thanks guys for all the feedback. This helps us "newbies" get into the heads of seasoned prospectors such as yourselves about how to approach a new area which we know little about.

By the way, I found this forum by accident, but glad I did because this has been the most informative of all of them. I spent the last few days going over the old threads and have learned much. My hat is off to you guys. You're a wealth of information for nugget hunting here in the desert. =)) I'm glad to be a member so keep up the great postings.

Here's my story: I'm an American living in the Philippines. I'm 45 years old and run successful internet businesses (I can live anywhere as a result). My previous home was in the Northwest part of Vegas (Ann Rd & Ft. Apache). I'm a health nut and thus my reason for living here in Philippines where's there's lots of non-factory farmed fruits and veggies.

I have a friend that has turned me onto metal detecting and I truly got the gold fever now! I just bought the Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq and it's waiting for me in Vegas when I arrive this weekend. And, I'm so looking forward to going nugget hunting. I have some great ideas on some locations and I'll be sure to post my finds (if any) here on the forum with pics. I'm spending a day at a claim down in Congress, AZ getting trained on how to use the Lobo this coming Wednesday, Feb 9th.

February 28th is when I'm headed back to the Philippines to try my luck here. I've been reading tons of history on this place and wow, this place is loaded with gold methinks! Lots of active volcano's, lots of seismic activity and many rushing creeks coming off the mountains. It's the exact opposite of Arizona/Nevada as far as terrain. This place is lush tropical. I heard in the old days, the natives use to trade gold for salt, pound for pound. Unbelievable! Nah, I'm not looking for that old Yamashita treasure stuff, though I wouldn't mind running into a stash of gold that some Japanese dude buried minutes before the U.S. bombed their butts. The best part about prospecting in the Philippines is that most of this is virgin territory. Very few, if any, metal detectors here.

If anyone would like to join me anytime this month (February) while I'm in the U.S. prospecting Nevada/Arizon, please message me. I'll love to have a partner to help show me the ropes. Cheers everyone!

Steven

If you are around my store in Las Vegas, drop on in and say hi! NE Corner of E. Twain and Royal Crest Street. Grey Building with a sign in the front yard that says Lousignont & Assoc.

Doc

Thanks guys for all the feedback. This helps us "newbies" get into the heads of seasoned prospectors such as yourselves about how to approach a new area which we know little about.

By the way, I found this forum by accident, but glad I did because this has been the most informative of all of them. I spent the last few days going over the old threads and have learned much. My hat is off to you guys. You're a wealth of information for nugget hunting here in the desert. =)) I'm glad to be a member so keep up the great postings.

Here's my story: I'm an American living in the Philippines. I'm 45 years old and run successful internet businesses (I can live anywhere as a result). My previous home was in the Northwest part of Vegas (Ann Rd & Ft. Apache). I'm a health nut and thus my reason for living here in Philippines where's there's lots of non-factory farmed fruits and veggies.

I have a friend that has turned me onto metal detecting and I truly got the gold fever now! I just bought the Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq and it's waiting for me in Vegas when I arrive this weekend. And, I'm so looking forward to going nugget hunting. I have some great ideas on some locations and I'll be sure to post my finds (if any) here on the forum with pics. I'm spending a day at a claim down in Congress, AZ getting trained on how to use the Lobo this coming Wednesday, Feb 9th.

February 28th is when I'm headed back to the Philippines to try my luck here. I've been reading tons of history on this place and wow, this place is loaded with gold methinks! Lots of active volcano's, lots of seismic activity and many rushing creeks coming off the mountains. It's the exact opposite of Arizona/Nevada as far as terrain. This place is lush tropical. I heard in the old days, the natives use to trade gold for salt, pound for pound. Unbelievable! Nah, I'm not looking for that old Yamashita treasure stuff, though I wouldn't mind running into a stash of gold that some Japanese dude buried minutes before the U.S. bombed their butts. The best part about prospecting in the Philippines is that most of this is virgin territory. Very few, if any, metal detectors here.

If anyone would like to join me anytime this month (February) while I'm in the U.S. prospecting Nevada/Arizon, please message me. I'll love to have a partner to help show me the ropes. Cheers everyone!

Steven

If you are around my store in Las Vegas, drop on in and say hi! NE Corner of E. Twain and Royal Crest Street. Grey Building with a sign in the front yard that says Lousignont & Assoc.

Doc

Thanks Doc! Your place is already on the top of my list to visit Monday morning. I wanted to see what supplies you offered, lands I can go MD on, your recommendations, etc. Looking forward to meeting you. =))

Here's a fun question for the more experienced detectorist. =)) Let's say you approach this new area and you were allowed to detect anywhere in the picture below. Which areas would be your two top choices and why?

In other words, where's the highest probable location of finding some nuggets?

detector.png

Well, being the smart ass that I am, I would have to say "J". Only because that is where the coil is swinging. No matter how much better any of the other places may be, if you're not there you can't find them. :wacko::D

I wouldn't switch the detector on 4 a start, but go for a wander around the I H G B area, because it looks from the photo as though It could've been an old river terrace. Hard to tell from pic. If you find any quartz gravel, river rounded rocks or interesting wash of any kind, take the detector to it. Mebbe take a pick with you ( without detector) and sink it in, at any likely looking spot, to dig off the topsoil and see if there's any wash underneath?

Every area has it's own "secrets" or indicators to look for. Ask some locals what gravels etc. the gold is normally associated with in that area, if possible.

Good luck, hope you find some.

Cheers :D

Archived