Help with Gold Bug 2

I have a Gold Bug 2 that needs some help. The iron disk switch is stuck in normal mode. The other problem is the headphone receiver is cracked/broken. I have to open the top and push on it from the inside to insert the headphones. Needless to say I don't use the headphones much. Does anyone know of someone in far Northern California or Southern Oregon that can work on these things? I called fisher and they wanted almost $100 bucks just to look at it and that does not include the shipping to get it there or subsequent repairs or parts. Any advice and/or direction would be appreciated.

I have a Gold Bug 2 that needs some help. The iron disk switch is stuck in normal mode. The other problem is the headphone receiver is cracked/broken. I have to open the top and push on it from the inside to insert the headphones. Needless to say I don't use the headphones much. Does anyone know of someone in far Northern California or Southern Oregon that can work on these things? I called fisher and they wanted almost $100 bucks just to look at it and that does not include the shipping to get it there or subsequent repairs or parts. Any advice and/or direction would be appreciated.

Wow! $100.00 just to look at it? Shame on you Fisher! Next time get yourself a Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq! Made in the USA WITH a Lifetime warranty. Terry

Well it is out of warrenty and apparently used pretty hard...they cost 700-800 new so 100 or so is not out of line; in my ever humble opinion...If it were mine I would call back and talk to a supervisor, not the person reciting the standard "tell everyone this" crap...sometimes you have to dig a little overburden to get to the goodies...

fred

Well it is out of warrenty and apparently used pretty hard...they cost 700-800 new so 100 or so is not out of line; in my ever humble opinion...If it were mine I would call back and talk to a supervisor, not the person reciting the standard "tell everyone this" crap...sometimes you have to dig a little overburden to get to the goodies...

fred

Good advice, Thanks

fred

Good on you Fred! This is VERY good advice. I am too reactionary :spank: Terry

More than once I've had one of those toggle switches stick. Take a close look at it, sometimes a small piece of dirt will get stuck in it, check to see and if there is use a pin or something small to pop the piece of dirt out.

Hope this helps, Keith

I don't know where you got this $100 quote from. In December I sent my 13 year old GB2 in for several problems. One was the broken (stuck) discriminate/normal switch. Also the threshold potentiometer was no longer working. They fixed both problems by replacing the defective parts, replaced the ground balance knob, calibrated the unit, and sent the unit back to me via FEDEX. The total came to $85. I couldn't be happier with the service. I was still in Quartzsite and immediately found a couple nugs that were .1 to .2 grains, not grams. It was calibrated to a 'standard' coil as I didn't send mine in. It has been finding subgrain nuggets around Redding every day.

Goldbug Ron

More than once I've had one of those toggle switches stick. Take a close look at it, sometimes a small piece of dirt will get stuck in it, check to see and if there is use a pin or something small to pop the piece of dirt out.

Hope this helps, Keith

Thanks Keith, I have checked it pretty good, but will give another once over.

I don't know where you got this $100 quote from. In December I sent my 13 year old GB2 in for several problems. One was the broken (stuck) discriminate/normal switch. Also the threshold potentiometer was no longer working. They fixed both problems by replacing the defective parts, replaced the ground balance knob, calibrated the unit, and sent the unit back to me via FEDEX. The total came to $85. I couldn't be happier with the service. I was still in Quartzsite and immediately found a couple nugs that were .1 to .2 grains, not grams. It was calibrated to a 'standard' coil as I didn't send mine in. It has been finding subgrain nuggets around Redding every day.

Goldbug Ron

Maybe I just didn't talk to the right person. Like Fred said maybe I just have to dig a little deeper. I 'll check back again.

The last time I sent in a GB2 it was about 85.00, the main this is they fixed the problen but they also go thru everything to make sure it is up to snuff, well worth the price.

Allen in MT

Hey Allen and Gold Bug Ron - Just got off the phone with Fisher Labs and now it is $115.00 quote. I mentioned what you guys had said about the 85.00 price and what they did for you, but they didn't have much to say. I did ask to speak to a supervisor and they took my name and number and said they will call back. We'll see. Thanks for the feedback.

Just one little tid-bit more Rancid...GB2's sell used for way more than 100-150 bucks...I am sure that they are practicing the old CYA priciple...cover your a??...

so, unless money is exceptionally tight for you...just send it in and hope what I say is true and you get a better price when they are done...

btw; know the maximum you can/will pay and have them call you before they exceed that amount...it would still be a deal at 200 bucks...

fred

Just one little tid-bit more Rancid...GB2's sell used for way more than 100-150 bucks...I am sure that they are practicing the old CYA priciple...cover your a??...

so, unless money is exceptionally tight for you...just send it in and hope what I say is true and you get a better price when they are done...

btw; know the maximum you can/will pay and have them call you before they exceed that amount...it would still be a deal at 200 bucks...

fred

Thanks Fred, I probably am just being cheap. And they did say they would call before proceeding with expensive repairs.

Archived