New member Introductions / Thought I'd say "Hi"

Hello all,

With Rob's help I am finally able to post. Thought I would take a minute to introduce myself. I am currently in Lemoore Ca (south of Fresno). I'm in the Navy and will be in this area for the next two years. I am an avid diver (PADI master diver) but there isn't a lot of diving to be had in the desert ;) . I am a Florida native and have always liked the idea of MDing but never got into the hobby. My family and I recently spent a week in Angle's Camp. After seeing the museums, taking a tour of a mine and seeing the activity in the area I have decided to take up the hobby of MDing/prospecting.

Of coarse, my wife isn't exactly thrilled about it. I have at least $2500 invested in my diving. Now I am looking to spend some money on this hobby. One of the interesting things is this hobby has the potential to "pay for itself" :D .

As I said, I am a virgin is all things prospecting (MDing included). I have been trying to determine if there is any potential area within a relatively close drive from me that could be worth while. After reading, and reading, and reading and ......... reading, I have decided on the MineLabs xterra 705 for a MD. I'm interested in crevassing and panning/sluicing as well.

I'm hoping that there will be people willing to help guide a newbie.

Shawn

• Admin

Hey Shawn,

Great to see you on the forums now. Whether you're diving and detecting, or detecting on the surface, they both can be very rewarding. California has a lot of history when it comes to mining for precious metals, so I'm sure the general area where you are has gold not too far away.

The Minelab X-Terra 705 is a great multi-purpose metal detector for coins, relics and gold nuggets. There are a couple of options, if you're going to just hunt gold, then you might consider the Minelab X-Terra 705 "Gold Edition" for $698.95. This unit comes with just one coil, but it's the 10-inch DD elliptical, which is the 18.75khz best for gold nuggets. The standard X-Terra 705 comes with the 8.5-inch round DD, best for coin and relic hunting. However, Minelab offers a "Pro-Package," where you can get the 18.75 gold coil and carry bag for an additional $149.95. Just depends what you're hunting for and if you need just one coil for either gold or coin/relic hunting, or both to do everything. Shoot me an email or call if you have questions about this.

You will pick up a lot of valuable information here on the forums. Great to see you here and hope to see you posting more in the future.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob. I did read about the gold pack on the 705. That is the one I meant to say. I would be stupid to not get that since the price is the same for the two. I do intend to coin/relic hunt as well. I was torn between the 705 and Teroso Lobo SuperTraq. I like the reviews that I have read on the 705. So that seems like a good place to start.

Archived