Using a boat to find gold nuggets?...Have you...

ever used a boat to metal detect for gold nuggets...Without naming your lake, what do you look for?...

I'm thinking about checking some Motherlode lakes this spring...Hopefully, me and Xman will get lucky

being newbies...Any info will be greatly appreciated...

At first blush, this would seem like a bad idea - to me. You need to remove the silt and overburden before you can even detect, so unless you use a blower and churn up the lake - and that ain’t gonna happen, I don't see the point. I'm open to your input, but the idea just doesn't sound feasible to me. – Terry

I used my boat to not look for nuggets, but after party places such as spring break locations, where people park their boats, I would find a lot of coins, jewelry..... some gold, but no nuggets.

Lake shores are really not good places to look for nuggets. At locations where folks play in the water you might find jewelry, but lakes are not a place I'd look to find natural gold nuggets.

Chris

Not so fast now.... I have used a boat to access small creeks. Hike up the canyon a little ways look for some exposed bedrock. Starl looking... Good Luck

Mr. Reno Chris,

I appologize for attaching my previous post to yours. It has been a while since I have posted anything... anywhere... I completely agree with your post.

A boat is a good tool to access, unaccessable areas from above. Be aware of private property, snakes in the overgrowth, most of all.. which was the killer for me.. POSION OAK!! Thankfully there is none in N.Nv.

Once Again.. Best of luck to you

New Hogan Reservoir comes to mind...I see there is one claim on the lake's northside and some nearer to the dam and beyond...

Figured if they filed a claim, one could assume they must have found some gold at those spots...A gold detecting-fishing trip sure would be fun...

Lead split shot galore, I bet...Thinking not around the shore but on some of the hillsides of the lakes if allowed...

Hold on fellow gold seekers. Most of the lakes in the mother load district in ca are man made. And on Gold bearing creeks and rivers During low water or drought years the exposed banks and bed rock are great places to detect. All the trees and brush have been removed. A large nugget that was found on a beach on that little lake on the bear river comes to mind. If it was legal Folsom lake would be my first pick.

Hey Southfork, I remember fishing Hogan's years back and seeing some exposed bedrock points...That's what got me thinking...

Thanks for posting your pics with the GMT and Minelab...Enjoy them alot...Anytime you can give out settings and depths on

nuggets found with the GMT, my ears and eyes are open, Xman's too...Any tips are very much welcomed...What's the deepest you've

found a nugget with a GMT?...I know size matters, just curious...

Have you checked the assesors office in San Andreas(county seat) for open ground?Lot's of private land and A.C.E.(army corp of Engineers)ground.The water really isn't all that low.Upstream towards highway 12 and where the north fork of the Calaveras river empties in were productive gold areas,back in the day..but again check the land status and at what elevations is private or governmen't.Lot's of ranch land.

r

a

n

v

I think it a great idea to use waterways to get into spots where few people goes. Especially if it is a roadless area. Beach the boats and walk in a few hundred yards. Make sure the boat is well secured, so it is still there when you come back. During deer season ,I have used boats and waterway to get back into area where few hunters venture. You may very well find a old forgotten patch.

More Au to you, Robert

Archived