Lower Shaft question

I recently broke a new minelab lower shaft at the joint (actually the glued seal broke). It was fixed with an epoxy but my question is, is it normal to have the joint separate on these? Is there a heavier duty option for the lower coil shaft? Sorry for the dumb question but being 50 miles into the mountains with a loose lower shaft was a bummer!

I know there are carbon fiber upper shafts but how about lowers?

Thanks in advance.

• Admin

Hello deputynrc,

I couldn't tell you how many times back in the early 90's I done this. Many times I was miles away from my vehicle and tripped and snapped the lower shaft. :girl:

Yes, there are much better ones. Doc has a new lower shaft that is much stronger and less expensive than the stock Minelab one. There is also a bundle deal for a carbon fiber upper and 4 lower heavy duty shafts for $150 that I'm still offering.

There is also another company called Otto, which used to be the only lower shafts besides Minelab at one time. I still have some of these also left in stock, but they are more expensive at $59 for the standard and $68 for the longer (4-inch longer) version.

Give us a call if you're interested.

Rob Allison

I recently broke a new minelab lower shaft at the joint (actually the glued seal broke). It was fixed with an epoxy but my question is, is it normal to have the joint separate on these? Is there a heavier duty option for the lower coil shaft? Sorry for the dumb question but being 50 miles into the mountains with a loose lower shaft was a bummer!

I know there are carbon fiber upper shafts but how about lowers?

Thanks in advance.

Had the same problem when my grandson brought my Eureka Gold back one time. The joint had loosened up and he taped it without telling me. Next time I went to use it the coil was sideways. I finally drilled a hole and put in a bolt.

I recently bought the package deal from Doc. I will say the lower rods Doc sells appear to be much beefier than the stock minelab lowers. They look like they will be better at handling those little mishaps. Just a heads up though. The "head" that attaches to the coil has come loose on the 2 lowers that I have used so far. The pin holding it on works loose and the glue breaks free. Not a big deal, just need to catch it before you lose the pin. I took mine apart and used some gorilla glue on the shaft and the pin. Pretty sure it's not going to come loose now :-)

I emailed Doc about it and he said they are aware of the problem. They are switching to a better glue to fix the problem.

Not a big deal to fix and I think his package is still a good deal. Just keep an eye on it and get it glued before the pin falls out and gets lost.

Kenny

You can make your own shaft, just take a plastic or wood broomstick, drill a hole, Voilà :lol:

You'll also have transportation when you need it!!!

Archived