Okay, so I finally got my first PI machine. A Minelab GP3000 with a 11" round stock coil, 14" Nugget Finder Elliptical DD coil, new battery, car and wall charger, harness, power cord, UR-30 headphones, bungee, manual, and camouflage arm and box cover. So, what I would like to know is....what other coils and accessories would you folks recommend to create a good overall set? Thanks.

Depends on the area you are going to beep. I would certainly put a small/mid size(14") mono in your kit IE Goldsalker or Nuggetfinder elliptical. But first learn the machine, read the manual, re-read it and then read it some more. The little italic notes in them are golden hints! Another thing I would try to do is get a ground balance button put on it instead of having to use the switch in front.... keeping the machine constantly ground balanced is much easier. There are a number of threads on the forums that explain how.

Good luck and don't get discouraged at first, it took me years to get my first PI nugget.

External speakers are nice but really a better set of headphone's would be at the top of my list. I won't hunt now without my Sunray Pros and I'm sure BlackWidows are top rate too. They just make a big differance to me when the machine is dailed in. But the list of stuff can go on and on.

One of my favorite coils is quickly becoming the CoilTec Joey. When the EMI and thunderstorms start picking up in the afternoon I can't really use my big coils and the Joey gets into tight spaces in bedrock and funny angles to help find small stuff.

Still got your 705? Any luck with it so far?

Now that you have a very capable machine its time to invest in what counts get yourself a large MONO coil, example 14,16,18,20 round and of course the larger ellipticle MONO. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely take it all to heart and build my setup the best I can on my budget.

El Dorado... The areas I will be beeping in the most is: Arizona (Quartzsite for sure then others when I find the right clubs to join for the right fields), El Paso Mts. near Randsburg, Holcomb Valley and Rattlesnake Canyon near Big Bear, Coolgardie area near Barstow, and I plan to take a trip to Northern Nevada soon.

AzOverland.... The 705 has a happy new home with a gentleman in Melbourne, Florida. That unit was bought primarily for my lady and she couldn't swing for too long because of tendon damage in her wrists from years of riding dirt bikes. Since I am not really interested in coin, relic, or jewelry hunting we just decided to sell it to someone who would use it more than she would. Great unit, though. I messed around with it one day in my front yard and found a bunch of coins and an old pocket knife. Nothing worth any value but it was fun to find em.

Does anyone know a place where I can take the 3000 to have one of those ground balance switches put on? I know they sell the kits, but I would prefer to have someone who has experience putting them on do it for me.

Okay, so I finally got my first PI machine. A Minelab GP3000 with a 11" round stock coil, 14" Nugget Finder Elliptical DD coil, new battery, car and wall charger, harness, power cord, UR-30 headphones, bungee, manual, and camouflage arm and box cover. So, what I would like to know is....what other coils and accessories would you folks recommend to create a good overall set? Thanks.

You might try mailing Rob.

He was clearing out some coils a couple of weeks ago.

Tom

Get a GoldScreamer Power Pack, you get amplication plus a lightweight battery solution that only weighs 14 ounces. It comes with two batteries, and a control box cover that holds the system neatly on the side of your detector. No need for the long curly cord.

If you don't need amplification I recommend the Coiltek Pocket Rocket. This will give you a regulated power supply that is stable throughout the day. It comes with two batteries, charger and two batteries and pouch.

But based on our earlier telephone conversation today I know you were talking about getting an amplifier for this detector.

Doc

I just picked up the 3000 and have it in hand. Seems to work okay but I think I am going to send it in to Minelab and have them give it a once over. One of the coils is a Nugget Finder 14" Elliptical DD and it has a knob that is missing. The sticker says XP and N. What is this knob for and can I get a replacement knob for it? As you can see, the actual knob is missing.

One other thing. Does anyone know how much it costs to have a unit checked at tuned at Minelab? Thanks.

2565796140104764247S500x500Q85.jpg2921160400104764247S500x500Q85.jpg

Chris,

Congrat's on your new PI Machine! It will find the gold. Like Bunk said, that 8" Commander Mono Coil finds very small nuggets and very large nuggets at depth, get the 11" Commander Mono Coil and amp like Doc said and a new battery system that old battery is like carrying a ships anchor around hunting, also get a pair of BlackWidow Headphones.

The above is all you need! I don't know about sending your machine in, find someone local that knows if it's running right before you send it in for a timely amount of hunting time...rainy season if you can wait!

Good luck,

LuckyLundy

I absolutely agree with Lucky, DO NOT send that machine in. If it turns on, and if it hears a target when you swing over it, it works. Now go learn the machine and find some gold.

When I get off vacation if you want, I will make arrangements to come over and show you how to find gold.

Doc

Chris,

Congrat's on your new PI Machine! It will find the gold. Like Bunk said, that 8" Commander Mono Coil finds very small nuggets and very large nuggets at depth, get the 11" Commander Mono Coil and amp like Doc said and a new battery system that old battery is like carrying a ships anchor around hunting, also get a pair of BlackWidow Headphones.

The above is all you need! I don't know about sending your machine in, find someone local that knows if it's running right before you send it in for a timely amount of hunting time...rainy season if you can wait!

Good luck,

LuckyLundy

I absolutely agree with Lucky, DO NOT send that machine in. If it turns on, and if it hears a target when you swing over it, it works. Now go learn the machine and find some gold.

When I get off vacation if you want, I will make arrangements to come over and show you how to find gold.

Doc

DOC,

That would be spectacular. I could come to you if you want, or we could meet in the Halloran Springs area. There is a couple of GPAA claims there. Probably no gold, but I will go wherever you want me to. Thanks so much for the offer DOC. I can't wait to do it. Just let me know a day or two in advance so I can make the proper arrangements.

Chris

I've been swinging the 11" DD and was wondering if it is normal for it to sound off like a target when it bumps the ground, a rock, or a bush?

I've been swinging the 11" DD and was wondering if it is normal for it to sound off like a target when it bumps the ground, a rock, or a bush?

I'm still new myself, but have found out that the tighter and higher up the shaft I keep my coil lead, the less false signaling I experience. I usually tape the first couple of feet of lead directly to the shaft, then coil it the rest of the way and use velcro to secure.

Archived