Should this be sounding off?

First, sorry for the bad pic. Wow, I really need to break down and buy a new camera. Anyway, I took a piece of 00B and pounded it flat, then cut off this piece that weighed .2 grams to use for a test "nugget". I have my 11" Commander Mono on the 3000 and the 10" elliptical on my 705. I laid this piece of lead on a dirt road, not buried, and swung the 3000 over it and nothing. I then swung the 705 over it in prospecting mode and it sounded of just fine.

Should the 3000 with that coil be picking this up on the surface or is it too small of a piece? Since I traded my only nugget to the owner of the repair shop to help with my repair bill, this was something another prospector advised me to do.

2891066220104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

Was there alot of EMI out on the dirt road ? How high is your threshold adjusted? Is it set so damn high that it masked the sound of the lead?

What settings were you using exactly?

You really need to get out on real nugget ground away from electrical lines ,underground interferences,radio towers, space stations,UFO flight paths...Etc....Please understand how all this crap affects the GP3000

Never owned a 3000, just a 3500. and never found any small stuff with it, in fact I only ever found one nugget with it, My 2200sd would have picked that up with a dd coil. . Try a DD coil on your 3000 and see what it will do with it. Grubstake

Was there alot of EMI out on the dirt road ? How high is your threshold adjusted? Is it set so damn high that it masked the sound of the lead?

What settings were you using exactly?

You really need to get out on real nugget ground away from electrical lines ,underground interferences,radio towers, space stations,UFO flight paths...Etc....Please understand how all this crap affects the GP3000

Adam, I do understand how it affects the machine, but how am I supposed to know if there is something buried 4 feet below me in the middle of nowhere? The spot I was in is at least 6 miles from ANY radar tower, electrical lines, UFO flight paths, space stations, etc. There is only so much I can do to get out to where there is absolutely nothing around. I mean, I talked to a guy that told me that a plane flying at 20,000 to 30,000 feet altitude would still interfere with the machine.

I sense your frustration and I assure you that I am utilizing what I can remember when out in the field. The settings were:

Coil Switch: Mono

Boost Switch: Normal

Threshold: Barely audible but constant and smooth

Signal Knob: Halfway

Soil Switch: Normal (then tried Sensitive then Salt)

Tracking Switch: Fixed

Iron Discriminate Switch: All Metal

Volume Knob: Fully Clockwise

Well, Im not familiar with that machine either , but those settings look fine. Next I would ask how fast you were swinging over the target, or if your headphones have volume controls on them.

I really want to believe that the 3000 would hear that little piece , but maybe I am overly optimistic. Afterall, it is a pretty small target.

Chris, I went out to Kingman az this last weekend for training on my new/used ml 3000. the trainer brought a very small nugget and on top of the ground my 3000 didnt make a sound. the bigger one he buried about 12 inches and almost blew my ears out. if you want flakes and tinys use a GB2 witch i also have. vlf vs pi, big or little?

good luck out there thanx, BIGGUY

First, sorry for the bad pic. Wow, I really need to break down and buy a new camera. Anyway, I took a piece of 00B and pounded it flat, then cut off this piece that weighed .2 grams to use for a test "nugget". I have my 11" Commander Mono on the 3000 and the 10" elliptical on my 705. I laid this piece of lead on a dirt road, not buried, and swung the 3000 over it and nothing. I then swung the 705 over it in prospecting mode and it sounded of just fine.

Should the 3000 with that coil be picking this up on the surface or is it too small of a piece? Since I traded my only nugget to the owner of the repair shop to help with my repair bill, this was something another prospector advised me to do.

2891066220104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

I have detected many #8 shot with Extreme and 3500 using Coiltek 14 MONO. The targets varied from 0-2 inches,It depends on the coil you are using. With other coils, especially DD, I don't find that many lead or steel shot.

Ol Dutch John here... For the small ones, either the VLF x-terra 70 or the later 705 using the eliptical gold coil is hard to beat...

The 3000 can be effective if properly set up around the high lines at Stringer... Both Rich and Sandtrap were with me and Jeff Myers who was able to do this using his 3000.

Also, back about 2006 Grubstake and his uncle Alan were

with me and Hye... We all spent a couple of days on an Association claim just about 200 yards from this same high power line.

Both Grubstake and Alan were using 2200d Minelabs and I do not remenber it being a problem with them. Alan beeped a nice nugget with his 2200d about 400 yards westerly of line, and also this weekend was very windy...

Hey... Grubstake... down memory lane :lol:

Well, Im not familiar with that machine either , but those settings look fine. Next I would ask how fast you were swinging over the target, or if your headphones have volume controls on them.

I really want to believe that the 3000 would hear that little piece , but maybe I am overly optimistic. Afterall, it is a pretty small target.

Adam, thanks for the response. I will be the first to admit that I have a habit of swinging the coil rather quickly. It is something I struggle with daily and have to constantly think about while I am detecting. I am hoping to train myself to slow down where I am not having to think about it all the time. As for headphones, I have the Koss UR30's right now but will be meeting with DOC on Wednesday morning to pick up a set of Black Widows.

Hey Jim, your right about memory lane, windy was not the word for it, We used the ancor off the queen Mary to hold our tent down. Allens nugget was found about 200 yards south west of the powerlines. and was part quartz. I think he still has that nugget. Grubstake

Guest sandtrap

That anchor is needed right now. My Zuki stays in garage till wind subsides.. I could fly it like a kite right now, but a test jet might hit it.

That anchor is needed right now. My Zuki stays in garage till wind subsides.. I could fly it like a kite right now, but a test jet might hit it.

:lol:........That's classic, Jerry. It has been blowing really hard here all day, too. A real bugger to detect in. My Koss UR30's might as well be off when I use them on days like this because the wind just simply overpowers the sound for me.

:lol:........That's classic, Jerry. It has been blowing really hard here all day, too. A real bugger to detect in. My Koss UR30's might as well be off when I use them on days like this because the wind just simply overpowers the sound for me.

You'll love the Black Widows. They totally tune out any outside noise. The only thing you'll hear is what your detector is telling you. Be warned and bring something to wipe your ears with, because if the temps are above 80°, you'll be sweating a little bit where the muffs (they're like mini saunas) cover your ears. Just my experience.

Adam, I do understand how it affects the machine, but how am I supposed to know if there is something buried 4 feet below me in the middle of nowhere? The spot I was in is at least 6 miles from ANY radar tower, electrical lines, UFO flight paths, space stations, etc. There is only so much I can do to get out to where there is absolutely nothing around. I mean, I talked to a guy that told me that a plane flying at 20,000 to 30,000 feet altitude would still interfere with the machine.

I sense your frustration and I assure you that I am utilizing what I can remember when out in the field. The settings were:

Coil Switch: Mono

Boost Switch: Normal

Threshold: Barely audible but constant and smooth

Signal Knob: Halfway

Soil Switch: Normal (then tried Sensitive then Salt)

Tracking Switch: Fixed

Iron Discriminate Switch: All Metal

Volume Knob: Fully Clockwise

CHRIS, turn your signal rotary knob to 4/5ths or full on, set toggle switch to sensitive. try that an see if you can pick up the target.

Chris...a 3 grain nugget of that shape may be too small for your rig...or at least borderline. Try deep/sensitive/fixed in dd mode with a mono coil...of course you have to use the tuning and gb procedure first...

Do you have Jonathan porters dvd for the 3000? You can't buy better experience than his.

here is an alternative to the sweaty blackwidow type headphones...Sony stereo headphones, model mdr-J10...( you will need an 1/4 inch adapter too);about $15 and buy a signal enhancer from Doc or Rob...

You might want the enhancer regardless of which type of headphones you use...and then if you get the dual speaker system you will have the enhancer.

Personally I have all types and use them depending on the circumstance...

I think the thing you really need most is a mentor who can watch and listen to identify where you may be erring...or at least give you assurance that you and the machine are working correctly.

fred

Chris,

Some great advise above! Fred, is correct with getting yourself and amp. The amp and BlackWidow Headphones will be a fantastic upgrade. A experienced Mentor is a great idea too...If I remember correctly I believe you joined a club or two. That piece of lead is large enough to hear with your Minelab, you'll have to mess around with your settings and that 11" Mono is a very good coil. Your Threashold as mentioned may have been to high, you just want a little sound in your ear's from it. Coil swing speed with the PI is slow and I swing my PI very slow. As you know you can swing a VLF much faster, but a slow swing speed with your VLF will find more gold too!

You've been getting some great advise and I know you maybe on information overload. There's a learning curve to anything and I believe your on the fast track to kicking that skunk down the trail.

LuckyLundy

This discussion has gone on many times. Lead shot including 00 often has hardeners which seem to make it harder for the PI detectors to pick up. While tiny steel shot will respond well , some quite large lead shot will be ignored. Most bullet lead gets a response similar to gold although when flattened very thin, it also can become unresponsive to a PI, whereas gold will respond very well when flattened . Lead is a lousy substitute for a PI test nugget, but works fine for testing a VLF.---Bob

Chris,

That is probably a little small for the 3000 with an 11 inch coil. You might hear it with a Joey mono coil. That is the only way I ever found the really little stuff with the GP series. In fact before all the timings introduced in the new machines, that was the purpose of having an arsenal of coils. You prospected until you hit a patch, cleaned out the easy pickers. Then you chained with a medium size coil, a Large coil, and then a Small coil.

Detect with your GP3000, when you get into gold, turn the rest of the family loose with that Xterra 705 to clean up the little stuff.

Doc

Archived