Made Me Laugh

I know this is kind of off topic, but a friend of mine sent this to me and I could not help but laugh when I saw it. Hopefully it will get a giggle out of some of you as well.

So ridiculous...:lol:

Devestation from East Coast Earthquake

I know this is kind of off topic, but a friend of mine sent this to me and I could not help but laugh when I saw it. Hopefully it will get a giggle out of some of you as well.

So ridiculous...:lol:

Devestation from East Coast Earthquake

Great! Thats going to cost the taxpayers billions to repair.........

Tom

Though the quake compared to California standards was not all that dramatic, for east coast standards it did much damage to some peoples lives, I know people in and around the epicenter of this quake and there is some major damage, one family had their home damage to the extent that is was condemned and I'm know of many others, several small children and now no place to live, earthquake insurance is unheard of on the east coast and normal home owner's insurance wouldn't cover the damage, so though it may seem funny and not dramatic to ya'll on the west coast, the ones on the east coast that are affected do not find it very funny at all!!!

This is just one of many families that had their lives changed in less than 1 minute, major damage to their homes or minor damage will all have to be paid out of their pockets if they have anything in their pockets in this economy, so I ask that ya'll have a little sympathy for others!!

And to top it off these homeless families are now having to weather a hurricane, but at least they can go to a hurricane shelter for now, but where do they go after the storm??

The geology of the east coast is very different than that of the west coast and what seems to be a minor quake on the west coast is magnified here in the east.

Skip

Steve,

The info I posted above was from the experience of a personal friend of mine in Virginia and told to me personally, you will not find reports of all the damage in the news or the internet, just as it would be for any quake on the west coast.

I never said their home was beyond repair, it was "condemned" this was the word my friend used but I take that to mean it is unsafe structurally and the city condemned living in it until it was repaired, the stairs gave way and fell and major damage to the foundation among other damage and they don't have the money to do the repairs since their homeowner's insurance will not cover earthquake damage even if the house can be repaired without demolishing it and rebuilding it.

I also never said the damage was wide spread, but there is indeed damage that some will have a very hard time recovering from because of earthquake insurance is not offered or available on the east coast, if everyone had earthquake insurance the damage wouldn't be as much of an issue. luckily I haven't heard of any major injuries from the quake.

But a internet search will find you some reports of some of the damage in the area.

Here just a example...

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/list/virginia-earthquake/

http://www.freep.com/article/20110825/NEWS07/108250442/Inspectors-scramble-assess-damage-after-Virginia-earthquake

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Homes+damaged+by+Virginia+earthquake&x=110&y=14&form=MSNH14&qs=n&sk=

Skip

Skip,

I, too, have family in Virginia who is dealing with the same issues; damaged home, no insurance, and now Hurricane Irene. However, I also look at the point that no one was seriously injured and there have been no deaths reported. Believe you me, if there was any reports of deaths attributed directly to this quake, I would never have posted such a thing. I understand that it is tough on people financially, and I feel for those folks, but I also feel that getting a giggle out of something as minuscule as a picture is not a dastardly deed. It showed a lawn set, not a collapsed office building or school. Sorry it offended you.

Mineral Va, near the epicenter is only 14 miles from my house so I took the long way home this morning from visiting my parents in the neighoring county and drove through the small town of Mineral. From my observations it appears every structure suffered damage, some worse than others, very few chimneys remain intact, several storefronts had bracing supports to keep from collapsing, many brick homes were torn open, two schools are comdemmed and will not open this school year. Keep in mind that many homes in this area are in excess of 100 years old and some over 200 years old. The bricks and mortar used are not of the quality of today's material and did not withstand this event. Sad to see the beautiful old antebellum strutures with collapsed chimneys, columuns, and walls.

FWIW the epicenter is in the goldfields and there are several old mines nearby. If you check Google Earth the epicenter has been marked.

The reason I ask is it seems like to me, the government and the media are just creating tons of fear hype about just how bad natural events are. Now, the President declared that East Coasters should prepare for a hurricane of historical magnitude. That did not happen either (as of now), but many people including our children and grand children have evacuated their home in Virginia at a serious personal cost to them. Just seems like to us out here in the West, way to much stuff out east is just overblown hype.....I think "THEY" are trying to use everything at their disposal to take away from the real and ominous problems that this administration causing.

One house here or there that was damaged, or a crack here and there in a few structures is just not a major event. When a whole town like Joplin is destroyed and people killed or an Earthquake that levels miles of major roadway and people killed are real disasters... that earthquake was not to much more than Ma Nature farting. Yes some smelled it, but all in all the smell was about as devastating as a burp.

Skip,

I, too, have family in Virginia who is dealing with the same issues; damaged home, no insurance, and now Hurricane Irene. However, I also look at the point that no one was seriously injured and there have been no deaths reported. Believe you me, if there was any reports of deaths attributed directly to this quake, I would never have posted such a thing. I understand that it is tough on people financially, and I feel for those folks, but I also feel that getting a giggle out of something as minuscule as a picture is not a dastardly deed. It showed a lawn set, not a collapsed office building or school. Sorry it offended you.

Chris,

Though I found the picture humorous, I know the real story.

I was not really offended, I just want anyone on the west coast that though that was the only "damage" to know that there was real damage from the quake and there're people in rough shape financially now because of the quake, and some may not be able to recover from this.

Skip

The reason I ask is it seems like to me, the government and the media are just creating tons of fear hype about just how bad natural events are. Now, the President declared that East Coasters should prepare for a hurricane of historical magnitude. That did not happen either (as of now), but many people including our children and grand children have evacuated their home in Virginia at a serious personal cost to them. Just seems like to us out here in the West, way to much stuff out east is just overblown hype.....I think "THEY" are trying to use everything at their disposal to take away from the real and ominous problems that this administration causing.

One house here or there that was damaged, or a crack here and there in a few structures is just not a major event. When a whole town like Joplin is destroyed and people killed or an Earthquake that levels miles of major roadway and people killed are real disasters... that earthquake was not to much more than Ma Nature farting. Yes some smelled it, but all in all the smell was about as devastating as a burp.

Steve,

Unfortunately that is a flaw in humans, when it is far away it doesn't seems as big as it does when it hits home!!

I agree that the hurricanes are sometimes blown out of perportions, but with hurricane you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, you really never know when it will be a devastating force when it hits land, and it impossible to forecast the actual force of one and where it may do a lot of damage when it hits land.

I've lived right on the coast for 36 years, I don't listen to the hype on the news, I watch the track of the storm and how strong it is and usually make my decision when to leave if at all at the very last minute, I always get prepared before hand and go the other way if I need too, it easy to outrun a hurricane from where I live I can go in 3 directions and away from the track of the storm, other places don't have that choice some have only one way out of harms way.

Skip

I went through the 89' Earthquake.. I think I was 6 playing ninja turtles on the first nintendo. Then like 50 when i was in Japan in the service.. And I BBQ'd in a cat 3 typhoon.. Wusses on the east coast.. lol Just Joking!.. ;)

Ugs

Humor is a way of dealing with unhappy situations that come along now and then. Case in point, my wife and I lost two children to sever spinal defects, when I was asked by an Air Force doctor how many Kids we had (I was getting ok to be sporterized) I said had 3 got 1. He looked at me questioningly and I explained and he understood. If you don't let a little humor in at times your head will implode and that could be messy.

Y'all take care out there,

Gramps

Archived