Totally off topic unless you're hungry

My wife is a fantastic cook. She can cook gourmet meals that literally take all day long to prepare. I'm lucky I don't way 300 pounds.

But what amazes me the most is that she has this ability to really throw a quick meal together that is delicious. Well she did it again tonight and is was so darn good I thought I would share it with you.

She is like an idiot savant when it comes to cooking, she just comes up with this stuff off the top of her head. She just knows what will taste good, so here is a really quick recipe for Chicken ala King, or at least a variation thereof.

You need a roasted chicken, you know the one they sell at the Grocery Deli, or Costco, they grill it on a spit. A large onion, a large stalk of celery, a large carrot, a piece of red or yellow bell pepper, some baby sweet frozen peas and two jars of Chicken gravy a bag of egg noodles.

Take the chicken and pull it all off the bone, throw the skin and bones away, and cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes.

Chop the onion up the celery, the carrot and the bell pepper. Saute in butter until the onions are transparent. Salt and pepper and sprinkle parsley on the mixture.

Put on some egg noodles to boil, just follow the directions.

Throw your chicken in with the vegetables and add the two jars of gravy and heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.

Once your noodles are done. Add peas to your chicken and gravy, stir them in and wait until the gravy starts to simmer again. Don't over cook the peas.

Put your noodles in your bowl and top with your Chicken and gravy. OMG is it good.

My wife said as a twist, you could add a 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup with the gravy and thin it with canned chicken broth. You should cut up some fresh mushrooms and saute' them with the vegetables.

Quick, easy and delicious.

Doc

Sounds great! Haven't had Chicken ala King in a long time and will try it. I like quick GOOD meals! Most of the time, I wait till I'm hungry before I start cooking. Long prepping meals never turn out well for me.

Take care, Shep

My wife said as a twist, you could add a 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup with the gravy and thin it with canned chicken broth. You should cut up some fresh mushrooms and saute' them with the vegetables.

Kudos to your wife.

I'm the cook in our house. Years ago I got me one of those Ron Popeil "set it and forget it" chicken broilers. I do similar with what your wife does with chicken left overs. I will usually saute onions and mushrooms, add the chicken, mushroom gravy and a little burgundy wine and sour cream. Toss in some wide egg noodles and am good to go. Or... I will make a heavy cream/butter sauce and add chicken, sauted mushrooms, onions and fettucine noodles. Fall and Winter are a come'in, so I'll be making my soups, stews, chili, and my favorite clam chowder

Archived