1st outing with the 4500

Hi everyone, tomorrow I will venture to the beach in Galveston to start learning more about how to operate the GPX 4500. I'll be using the 11" DD coil that came with the machine. Today I spent hours learning some of the tricks on tuning and ground balencing. I never knew there was so many things to remember. The book explained things pretty well though.

I do have a question: when the threshold is as smooth as I can get it, it still sounds wobbly. the tone is not eratic but raises a little then drops. Is this normal? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Im still not sure what I should be hearing.

Thanks Bill

• Admin

Hey Bill,

I moved the topic as it got posted in the classified section somehow. If you're away from EMI (electrical interference), outside city limits normally, then you should be able to get the GPX4500's threshold really smooth. You will hear some noise up and down, but it shouldn't be anything drastic. This is one of the first things most customers ask me about during field instructions. They always want to know if that noise is normal, which it is.

You might want to just start out in using default settings until you completely understand the detector and sounds you will receive. It's a very easy unit to use, so just take your time and make sure you understand what you're listening to.

I have sold many Minelab PI's to customers that are only using them for coin/relic hunting and doing very .... very well.

Wishing you much success with your new Minelab PI. Hope to hear back from you.

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob, I guess I wasnt paying attention what section I was in when I posted it.

I was working with the detector at my home and there are power lines less that 40 yds from the area. Thanks for the info I thought thats what I was understanding from several post that I had read.

Bill

Thanks Rob, I guess I wasnt paying attention what section I was in when I posted it.

I was working with the detector at my home and there are power lines less that 40 yds from the area. Thanks for the info I thought thats what I was understanding from several post that I had read.

Bill

Bill:

Trying to use your detector around your house will not work well. Even the A/C and outside florecent lights will mess with it. (dont ask how I know!) The new PIs are really sensitive...even to airplane radar and thunderstorms.

I hunt mostly gold so I take a small nugget out with me and "tune" the machine to it while its on the ground in the area im hunting.

You may try that.

Good luck!

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I do carry a 1 grm nugget and a few other item for testing. I went to the beach today and I'll tell you this detector will find a piece of aluminun from yards away. I thought my Eureeka Gold was in love with alum. it has nothing on the 4500. I will keep practicing I know that it will take alot of hours to learn the maching. The Salty sand is noisy also. I followed the suggestion in the manual and it settled down.

Thanks again for your input.

Bill

The power lines are for sure the culprit. However also remember when you use the machine, put it in FIXED mode in tracking. The push the button pump the coil to balance, then let go of the button and detect. This returns it back to fixed. Occasionally lift the coil off the ground, if it is out of balance rebalance as before.

Some guys run in tracking but if you can sometimes hear the tracking varying the threshold as it readjusts when you swing. I find this annoying, so I like to run in fixed and rebalance as needed.

Doc

Thanks Tom.

I do carry a 1 grm nugget and a few other item for testing. I went to the beach today and I'll tell you this detector will find a piece of aluminun from yards away. I thought my Eureeka Gold was in love with alum. it has nothing on the 4500. I will keep practicing I know that it will take alot of hours to learn the maching. The Salty sand is noisy also. I followed the suggestion in the manual and it settled down.

Thanks again for your input.

Bill

Thanks Doc.

I did go out again for a couple of hrs this evening. I went outside of town and into a cattle pasture. There were plenty of large mature oak trees in one area but they were spread out enough to make me think there once may have been a building between them. I guess I was right, I found a sqare nail and some small pieces of metal,(possibly rusted can). The detactors threshold was pretty steady and I could hear changes from faint to loud. I appreciate everyones input.

Thanks Bill

Archived