Platinum nuggets

Hi All,

I found a nice bunch of native Platinum nuggets and have had them soaking in Muriatic (HCl)acid for awhile now but I am not getting down to the shine. I have thought about nitric acid but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of.

Does any one have any ideas of what chemical(s) might get them bright and shiny ?

Thanks !

Muriatic has done a good job so far and putting the nugget(s)in water with baking soda takes care of the smell and neutralizes the acid as well. I am afraid that the rock polisher would take off too much material and take about 6 weeks of running to finish.

Has any one tried Nitric acid ?

Thanks

Hi All,

I found a nice bunch of native Platinum nuggets and have had them soaking in Muriatic (HCl)acid for awhile now but I am not getting down to the shine. I have thought about nitric acid but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of.

Does any one have any ideas of what chemical(s) might get them bright and shiny ?

Thanks !

I use acid and work with metals a lot. I don't know of any acid that will get a metal shiny. It will remove corrosion and other types of minerals attached to it but the metal will not come out shiny.

Gold does come out yellow after acid...but not shiny.

There are processes for polishing with certain solutions..(electropolishing) but that would probably be cost prohibitive for a couple of nuggets.

If you want them shiny you could always buff them with buffing compound and a small wheel in a dremel. Just do it inside of a box....small parts have a way of shooting across the room...never to be found again. :)

If you live around Peoria Az. your welcome to come over to the shop and buff them out. I have all the supplies.

Tom

Yeah,

Howabout some pic's. also would be nice to know the general area as to where they came from. I found some once but unfortanatly they were stolen from me and the area where i found them was suddenly made into a National Monument by Bruce Babbitt and Bill Clinton, so i can hunt there no longer. Isn't our Government wonderful?

Steve

What the hell does platinum look like? I heard cubes.. If your in "Northern" Northern Cali.. I have heard rumors of certain places.. Supposid fields.

Ugs

What the hell does platinum look like? I heard cubes.. If your in "Northern" Northern Cali.. I have heard rumors of certain places.. Supposid fields.

Ugs

The ones I have look sort of like buttons and have a kind of light grey coating on them. There are lots of good nugget pics on the web.

Here is a pic of the nuggets that I am working with.

You will only be able to get the high spots shiny with buffing.

I would use the white compound. Its made for harder metals.

Use plenty of compound when buffing. Thats whats doing the work, not the wheel itself.

Once done you will have buffing compound stuck down in the crevises.

Use HOT dawn dish soap and a tooth brush to remove it. Let is soak to soften the compound up.

Good luck and remember to do it in a box!

Tom

Hi All,

Thanks !

I tried everything to clean the Silver Dog. Finely, I took a small Brass brush to it. It worked Can you see the dime near the mouth?

• 9 years later...
On 10/13/2011 at 6:56 PM, arharris56 said:

Muriatic has done a good job so far and putting the nugget(s)in water with baking soda takes care of the smell and neutralizes the acid as well. I am afraid that the rock polisher would take off too much material and take about 6 weeks of running to finish.

Has any one tried Nitric acid ?

Thanks

I have some nitric if you are looking for it