First time out with GPX5000

Went out last Sunday, first time in a long time. It was actually my first time using my GPX5000. I know, it's terrible, I'm a dealer and have never got to actually go prospecting with this amazing machine.

New machines always have a learning curve. However, I have been doing this for 18 years so that helps shorten the curve a little. Also these new detectors are just so sensitive that it takes a little getting use to. I intentionally went back to beat up ground to see if this new GPX5000 using a Coiltek Blitz coil could unearth anything that was missed. I was using the Fine Gold mode. Enhanced seemed to work pretty well, but Fine Gold seemed to get just a bit more depth.

So we will see what happened this is part 1 of 3

Part 2 of 3

BCOT!

Doc

No Fred I was using these plastic clips someone sent me as a sample from Australia. I usually use electrical tape. These plastic clips are worthless. If you barely tug on the coil lead, they pop off. I lost two of them and couldn't find them. Glad I tested them out before I bought 10,000 of them.

Sorry for the delay. You Tube takes forever to render these damn videos and I actually fell asleep last night waiting for them to upload.

Doc

I still can't figure out how to get these You Tube videos to actually play inside the post like Rob does.

I do insert Media, and then insert the link, but all it does is display the link and not the video.

Someone knows who to do this correct, I need a hint.

Uploading Video for 2nd Nugget now.

Doc

• Admin

Hey Doc,

I have fixed the videos for you. What you're doing wrong is copying the wrong URL code, you need to copy the Youtube Embedded code, which you will see two after you upload your video and it's complete.

Hoss was a great guy and had a huge passion for this hobby. I knew him and his Son very well. I visited an old patch not too long ago that Hoss and his Son worked for years around the Black Canyon City area.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob,

Yes I remember now that you have to actually use the url that appears in the address bar, not the address that YouTube displays under the picture.

Hey Doc,

I have fixed the videos for you. What you're doing wrong is copying the wrong URL code, you need to copy the Youtube Embedded code, which you will see two after you upload your video and it's complete.

Hoss was a great guy and had a huge passion for this hobby. I knew him and his Son very well. I visited an old patch not too long ago that Hoss and his Son worked for years around the Black Canyon City area.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Doc:

THANK YOU! for that series of videos.

That helped a lot!!!

I wish I would have stayed another night at GB and met you. I was up there on the 7th/8th.

:(dern it.

I would get some signals like that but they always dissapeared after sweeping the rocks off the surface.

Seems very quite up there overall.

Did finally get a hit and found a meteorite peice in between a barrel cactus and a bush.

Was the target a little to the left of where you were sweeping the coil in the first video?

That area is so big up there I dont think all the gold will ever be pulled out.

What was your gain at? I was running at 15 but you sounded higher? Other settings were as you were set at.

One odd thing I was getting signals all around the yucca trees. Right at the base. Pretty much every one of them.

Will you be at the Quartzite outing?

Tks again for the video...it was VERY informative.

Tom H .

Doc:

That helped a lot!!!

I wish I would have stayed another night at GB and met you. I was up there on the 7th/8th.

I would get some signals like that but they always dissapeared after sweeping the rocks off the surface.

Did finally get a hit and found a meteorite peice in between a barrel cactus and a bush.

Was the target a little to the left of where you were sweeping the coil in the first video?

What was your gain at? I was running at 15 but you sounded higher? Other settings were as you were set at.

One odd thing I was getting signals all around the yucca trees. Right at the base. Pretty much every one of them.

Tom H .

That would be joshua trees....not yucca trees!

DOH!

YUCCA's or Joshua trees? The Joshua trees have a tendency to give you a target at the base. I theorize that the root system pulls in a lot of minerals and because they are heavy they concentrate at the base of the root system.

I was running my gain pretty high, sort of experimenting with settings and that may have caused the weird sound of the nugget. Yes it was a bit to the left.

My settings were, Volume, FP, GB Type: General, Special Fine Gold, Motion SLOW, GAIN 15, I later took it down to around 13. Audio DEEP, Stabilizer 10. Response Normal, Tracking Medium.

Iron Reject off. Mono coil of course.

Doc

Doc:

That helped a lot!!!

Tom H .

Hey Doc! yeah those springy clips looked like the cat's meow! till you hunt in the brush. Bought a new coil (8x6) and it came w/ a pack of 3. Lost the first, in the first bush (but found it!). Went thru all 3 in day and half. Won't change how I hunt, so you're right as usual, tapes the best!

It was good to see you out there!

Take care, Shep

YUCCA's or Joshua trees? The Joshua trees have a tendency to give you a target at the base. I theorize that the root system pulls in a lot of minerals and because they are heavy they concentrate at the base of the root system.

I was running my gain pretty high, sort of experimenting with settings and that may have caused the weird sound of the nugget. Yes it was a bit to the left.

My settings were, Volume, FP, GB Type: General, Special Fine Gold, Motion SLOW, GAIN 15, I later took it down to around 13. Audio DEEP, Stabilizer 10. Response Normal, Tracking Medium.

Iron Reject off. Mono coil of course.

Doc

Whew...............

Least I know im doing something correctly. :)

I think your right about the minerals at the base of the JOSHUA trees....hey did you know they hurt if your not looking up and you jam on into your head? :0...not that ive dont that :)

Again...tks for the post.

Tom H.

Me run into a Joshua tree? I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I still have not gotten the tip of a Joshua tree out of my lip and it hurts too much to talk.

One time I was in a pretty remote area where I had found some gold, and it was getting late. I didn't have my GPS with me and I wanted to try to leave a marker so I would know how to get back there at a later date. So I see this Joshua tree and I pick up a big piece of white quartz. My plan was to carefully lob the quartz up inside one of the upper clumps of leaves, and I should be able to spot that white quartz up in a Joshua tree when I came back out. So I carefully size this Joshua tree up looking for any approach that might NOT poke me in the head. So I see that on the North side of the tree there is plenty of head clearance. I go around and take a little run at the tree because the top clump of leaves is about 8 feet up. Just as I release the piece of quartz propelling it towards the top I feel this horrendous pain as I impaled my testicle on a hard yucca growing out of the base of the tree. OMG, My family jewel swelled up about the size of a lemon.

Joshua trees? NOPE, never had any trouble with them. :wacko:

Doc

Whew...............

Least I know im doing something correctly. :)

I think your right about the minerals at the base of the JOSHUA trees....hey did you know they hurt if your not looking up and you jam on into your head? :0...not that ive dont that :)

Again...tks for the post.

Tom H.

Holy cow!

Im almost cringing too much to type!!!

Hope I never have a chance to experience that.

Good luck in the future with your hunts.

Tom H.

P.S.

Next time rip off a piece of underwear and tie it around the tree!

Thanks Doc...I thought it odd that you, a decerning man of experience would run your coil lead so loose...I am not happy to hear that the clips are not very dependable,,,I bought a bunch...oh well.

I got a kick from your conversation with Hoss...I will often talk to my Dad who left me for the happy hunting ground many years ago...they have gone but only a little ways past our earthly vision...

fred

Thanks JP.

If I remember correctly you had told me before 10 W Booster Speaker on Volume Limit, or 12 FP with headphones.

And TARGET VOLUME, 8 for Booster or Speaker, and 12 for Speaker only, 8 plus for headphones.

Did I remember correctly?

I may have to tweak the settings because I was using the Gold Screamer power pack and I know you use your own amplifier that you manufacture. B&Z right?

Doc

DOC, next time your out try using the Volume Limit on 10 and the Target Volume setting on 8, this will cut down on some of the distortion I'm hearing in your audio and allow your booster to produce cleaner and crisper sound. :blush:

JP

Thats correct DOC, your booster has a fair bit of grunt to it, so you might want to back the Target Volume down to even lower say 4 to 6, this way the audio out of the detector is very clean allowing your booster to do the work, basically giving it heaps of headroom before clipping occurs.

The B&Z has a very high quality IC which is also very efficient (runs on 2 x AAA batteries which will provide approx 4 weeks using a single speaker or 2 1/2 to 3 using dual speakers) whilst allowing the audio to be pumped incredibly high with minimal distortion in the audio out of the speakers, this is especially beneficial for dual speaker use. I have come up with a settings method to basically VLF a GPX 5000 but it is very anti-social and can only really be used in non trashy patches. :blush:

JP

Archived