Hard Rock Detecting

Does anyone have a preference of what metal detector is best in prospecting for fine gold in hard rock. Sure rock crushing random samples is one way. But after crushing countless pounds it can get tiring. First I prefer detecting samples or veins until a hit is achieved then sampling. But not all fine gold within hard rock is detectable. I'm just looking for the best detection device out there prior to sampling. I now use a Fisher VLF with a 6.5" coil. I heard pinpointers are excellent like the Falcon. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jim

Does anyone have a preference of what metal detector is best in prospecting for fine gold in hard rock. Sure rock crushing random samples is one way. But after crushing countless pounds it can get tiring. First I prefer detecting samples or veins until a hit is achieved then sampling. But not all fine gold within hard rock is detectable. I'm just looking for the best detection device out there prior to sampling. I now use a Fisher VLF with a 6.5" coil. I heard pinpointers are excellent like the Falcon. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jim

I use the Gold Bug ll with the 6" eliptical with good success. IMO the GBll is better than the Falcon on a pinpointer for this purpose.

Hey Jim

Over here in Australia the gold mines use a piece of gear called an "XRF Scanner"

Basically this equiptment looks like a radar speed gun and can scan all rock samples

in situ for a full mineral readout to a 0.001% increment or in a PPM readout, they

dont come cheap, but are a guaranteed method for finding all mineral elements in any

rock sample, they are also used by gold buyers to scan for purity of nuggets/rings and

combined with a specific gravity test to work out the volume and purity of gold specimens.

Here is a bit of info :: http://www.panalytical.com/index.cfm?pid=130

Happy Hunting

Pete in WA B)

Archived