Placer claim question

An area that I like to prospect contains a claim of some 77.2 acres that is held by a couple in their 70s. It has been my understanding that an association claim can only consist of 20 acres per person. It is obvious that this claim is not being worked ( may being used for recreational purposes only ). This claim is holding up a lot of good prospecting area.

The question is, Is this a valid, legal placer claim ? If not is their a way to have that claim voided ?

You must have no more than 20 acres per person when you stake the claim. As an example, lets say 8 folks stake a 160 acre claim, then 5 years later they sell it to a single individual. That is perfectly legal, even though only one person owns a 160 acre claim.

If you mean by not worked that the folks are panning and metal detecting but not using heavy equipment like bull dozers, that also is perfectly legal.

You must have no more than 20 acres per person when you stake the claim. As an example, lets say 8 folks stake a 160 acre claim, then 5 years later they sell it to a single individual. That is perfectly legal, even though only one person owns a 160 acre claim.

If you mean by not worked that the folks are panning and metal detecting but not using heavy equipment like bull dozers, that also is perfectly legal.

No, I mean there is no evidence of mining (sniping, panning, dredging or hi-banking etc) what so ever.

Thanks for the reply ?

An area that I like to prospect contains a claim of some 77.2 acres that is held by a couple in their 70s. It has been my understanding that an association claim can only consist of 20 acres per person. It is obvious that this claim is not being worked ( may being used for recreational purposes only ). This claim is holding up a lot of good prospecting area.

The question is, Is this a valid, legal placer claim ? If not is their a way to have that claim voided ?

[/quote

It seems you know who they are. You might ask them if you could go and try detecting on that area.

Tell them you would give them a split if you find some...and be honest if you do find some.

I asked a guy back in the 80s if I could dredge on his claim he told me sure and appreciated me asking. Just not to sue him if I got hurt.

Tom

Archived