Spectra V3i

Does any one use a White's Spectra V3i Detector to find gold ? I have heard that it is supposed to be quite good ( and EXPENSIVE ).

The area I prospect in LOADED with Iron, making standard detector pretty useless. I also am tone deaf so using tones to identify stuff doesn't work very well for me.

Under certain conditions it can be used to find gold. However there are significant limitations -

1. You need mild, nearly unmineralized soils. Its not really made for working in highly mineralized soils, and many gold districts are strongly mineralized.

2. You need good sized gold - it wont really preform well on tiny specs as most gold oriented VLF detectors do. Even a ML PI will likely perform better on smaller gold in many situations.

3. I have also heard it has a good discrimination system.

So yes it can find gold under the right circumstances. However these limitations are severe enough that most guys who do a lot of prospecting will be using a machine that is less limited and more oriented toward prospecting. It really is a machine more oriented toward coin, jewelry and relic hunting.

Under certain conditions it can be used to find gold. However there are significant limitations -

1. You need mild, nearly unmineralized soils. Its not really made for working in highly mineralized soils, and many gold districts are strongly mineralized.

2. You need good sized gold - it wont really preform well on tiny specs as most gold oriented VLF detectors do. Even a ML PI will likely perform better on smaller gold in many situations.

3. I have also heard it has a good discrimination system.

So yes it can find gold under the right circumstances. However these limitations are severe enough that most guys who do a lot of prospecting will be using a machine that is less limited and more oriented toward prospecting. It really is a machine more oriented toward coin, jewelry and relic hunting.

Do you have any recommendations ? A moderately priced unit targeted specifically for gold detecting would be nice.

Do you have any recommendations ? A moderately priced unit targeted specifically for gold detecting would be nice.

Tell us more -

Have you ever prospected for gold before?

Is Oregon the location where you will be prospecting?

What is your experience with metal detectors?

Do you want to sometimes use your detector to hunt coins, relics and jewelry?

What constitutes "moderately priced"?

Tell us more -

Have you ever prospected for gold before?

Is Oregon the location where you will be prospecting?

What is your experience with metal detectors?

Do you want to sometimes use your detector to hunt coins, relics and jewelry?

What constitutes "moderately priced"?

Hi ! Thanks for the reply... All good questions

I will be prospecting in Southern Oregon

I have have a couple of months experience in detecting coins

I am just interested in shooting for gold

Moderately priced I would think would be less than $1800

Thanks again,

Ray

Archived