New guy, wanna find some gold in Arizona!!!

For me, this is just a "weekend trip", I may get upwards of 5-6 hours total time to play in the desert, so I don't feel the time is right for a higher end machine.

But that being said, I appreciate all your suggestions, ESPECIALLY the one about looking for a used machine. I would have a better time finding one out in AZ than here in TX.

I may hit the intarwebs while I am out there and see if anything pans out! Craigslist, maybe?

Thanks for the suggestions on which machines are best!

Originally, I intended to just go out and hike in the desert with wife and dog, but my parents suggested I bring the Bounty Hunter and see what, if anything, I find.

So I will not be heartbroken or disappointed if I find nothing.

If gold hunting was that easy and that productive, it wouldn't be called "hunting" and gold would only be worth $50 per oz. So I am completely realistic about my chances of finding anything other than pop tops and bobby pins.

I was just asking where (location) and which terrains to look in the Flagstaff and Yuma areas, or anywhere along the way (from OK City I-40 over, then down to Yuma).

A guy in Anaheim (Rusty's Gold and Treasure Hunting) even suggested finding old roadways and/or wagon trails and scan for old lost items or throw-aways. My dad just found an old wagon trail outside of Yuma, so I may even try that a bit.

Hey Scooper, about 6 yrs ago I went out with a coin machine, about 30 miles from Tucson. I found the 20 lb Silver nugget in my photo. So don't let anyone tell you that you can't find gold with your detecter. Go out and have fun. Silver Dog

Yeah, tell them the rest of the story Doug.....

that you were almost hit by a bus as you raced back to town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The neighbor's grandfather, who was the one who found the nugget in her yard...He is willing to show me the ropes. He lives in AZ and is a full-time gold digger, and is quite interested in me bringing my detector. So maybe, between the two of us, we might find something.

So, if a digger and a detector find a nugget, what is the etiquette for splitting the bounty? Is it 50/50, or does the old-timer get more because of his experience? Or does the new guy get more because of spending a bit of cash on the technology?

Also, my dad, who lives in Yuma, is looking up an old stagecoach trail and trying to nail down gps coordinates, so I can punch them into my gps and scan along that.

It sure is nice to have others do the research for me ahead of time!!!

For what it is worth. I am a psychotherapist for kids, and sometimes, I bring the kids to a playground and let them use my detector while we do therapy.

My rules are "you keep what you find". They scan, I dig, and whatever they find they keep, as long as it isn't a recent wedding ring or something I could post in the local paper and find the owner of.

So, what is the etiquette for scanning with a digging friend? Do I tip him with a portion of the finds?

Just east of Holbrook, az there is a meterorite strewn field.

I have included the following link if you are interested...

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=19987

If there is no snow on the ground, it may be worth a stop to look around. Bundle up, that wind will be cold!

More Au to you, Robert

The neighbor's grandfather, who was the one who found the nugget in her yard...He is willing to show me the ropes. He lives in AZ and is a full-time gold digger, and is quite interested in me bringing my detector. So maybe, between the two of us, we might find something.

So, if a digger and a detector find a nugget, what is the etiquette for splitting the bounty? Is it 50/50, or does the old-timer get more because of his experience? Or does the new guy get more because of spending a bit of cash on the technology?

Problem Solved...You have someone that will show you the ropes....You should take the opportunity.

All of the forum members send me thier gold when they find some....Thats just how it works... So there wont be any bickering on who gets what. :lol: Maybe find some gold first, and worry about the split later...

This thread is way to long

Hey Scooper I live about 20 min south of your zipcode. I hunt in the parks around here. Send me a pm if you want to hit a park sometime. I have a couple of different detectors PI and VLF. We can compare them.

Bill

I don't live at 77515 anymore. Moved about 18 months ago, but that internet handle has stuck.

But I still work in Pearland/Manvel area, which puts me 15-20 minutes from Alvin.

I got your Pm. Have a safe trip and a Great Visit with your family. If you find anything while out detecting it will just be like icing on a cake. Good Luck and when you get back maybe we can get out somewhere and find something.

Bill

Don't get me wrong, I am not on this trip primarily for hunting, but to be with family. Luckily, my dad and brother are just as excited as I am about this, so maybe we can get an afternoon or two away from mom and scan a couple places.

I may be lucky to get 6-8 hours all week scanning, so my chances of finding anything substantial are pretty minimal.

But I have a list of places to scan when I get back, just have been waiting for the weather to cool off (slows down the snakes, and thins out tourists on the beaches). B)

The GMZ is great price and will do the same job as it's older but still made brother the GMT, the GM3 maybe a little over priced IMHO, though it's great detector and will do great job, it's older technology and I think $200 to $300 is what they're going for now-a-days.

Skip

Didn't find gold in the backyard, but cleaned it up of nails.

My dad and I went off road, up into the mountains, found a mine, and started scanning the grounds around it. Apparently, the locals come out here and shoot, because most of what we have found so far is just bullet lead and brass.

Still looking. And must be the right place, because some guy is scanning the same area, and is living in his RV right here in the wash, down from Canada...

Archived