Its Offical...

Please Don't go Ray!

I too like reading your posts, and seeing how you use your GBP.

Nobody has all the facts, even one of the above professionals didn't realise you could disc in All Metal on a GBP, and I bet they don't know how to interpret GB reading changes over various targets.

There is no mention of learning curves here for newbies and how many GB11s end up in closets, because the learner became so frustrated trying to get the hang of it, they gave up. We forget that many now nugget hunting branched out from coin shooting originally which gave us an advantage, but remember, someone entirely new to detecting getting straight into nugget hunting needs a pretty user friendly platform, and the GBP is one of those. If my wife can use a GBP, and she loves it by the way, then anyone can use it and will really get to enjoy this most wonderful pursuit. I'm grateful to Fishers for bringing out this machine, because if it wasn't for this little beauty, my wife would still be a spectator, and a painful one at that.

Ray has been suggesting to newbies to go with the Pro and in many ways I think he's right, although if the grounds as hot as Oz, or the gold is no bigger than fly spots, it could be detrimental to their persistence, but nothing a geographical change wont fix.

Cheers

Kev.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1323881580' post='61188']

Hey UGBomber, If you are wanting a unit that will go deep and get larger gold then I would listen to the guys above, wait that extra time a get a used unit. They are around.

For all others concerning the GBPro: I know many professional hunters ( people that make real money detecting for gold, and yes their are some.) that have got rid of their GBII's and gone to the GBPro. I can use both side by side and the Pro will continue to function very smooth in all conditions that the GBII will fail. Northern Nevada has reopened its doors for the GBPro. I personally know many guys that are going over areas hit with the GBII's over the years and doing very well with the GBPro in the same patches. I run my GBPro here in Northern California over solid serpentine bedrock which has shut the GBII down in the past. I also run my GBPro over in Northern Nevada over basalt fields that have shut many operators down that were using the GBII's. I know a guy that is beachhunting in solid gold bearing black sand near Gold Beach and is able to get very small pickers with the GBPro. I know several guys using them on the beach at Nome tracing black sand lines.There are many guys using the GBPro drywashing in Southern California tracing the black sand deposits. I could go on and on but many of you should open your eyes to something new. I remember when minelab first came out , people were very leery for almost a year or longer. This GBPro is a good machine. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Kev, this is the post that fired me up. And I am asking all the professional hunters out there to stand up and tell us how they are tossing the Gold Bug 2 for the Gold Bug Pro. Ray is not preaching the obvious values of the Gold Bug Pro, he is saying under virtually all conditions and circumstances the Gold Bug Pro is superior to the Gold Bug 2. So back that up. What professionals? It sure is not this one or any I know. Ray is making very strong statements and rather than back them he checks out. I have said and continue to say for all the reasons you mention that the Gold Bug Pro is a good detector and possibly a better choice for many people. But Ray is going way beyond that and he needs to back it up because it flies in the face of my direct field experience.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

You have a valid point too. If that post was the only one I read of Ray's, I would say it is over zealous and misleading, with respect to the GBPro being universally compatible in any goldfield conditions, which it is definitely not!

If we wanted to point the other finger, then it should aim at Fisher who have been a little misleading in calling it the PRO model, since it gives the impression that it is the machine the Professionals use, and at the pinnacle of performance. China has done this to death, Pro this and Pro that and it's all on totally mickey mouse stuff.

For those that have been following all of Ray's posts here, and over at Rod's and Chris's forums, which one hopes newbies will be doing before deciding on a unit anyway, then taken as a whole you can see where Ray's coming from.

Actually if your reading this Ray, I was wondering which revision of firmware your unit is running? There was some talk about Rev 3.x (unsure of what number x is) being much hotter than 4.0. It could be that Fisher have dropped back to much more conservative firmware settings, and in so doing reduced and compromised the performance on the latest models. I think you hold down the GG key while switching on and the screen displays the current OS rev.

Cheers

Kev.

A good portion of my income is based on my ability to recover gold.

I use the best equipment I can.

Currently, I use a GPX 5000 pulse induction and a Eureka Gold. (with a 6" round coil and an old depth master audio amp)

Never have been a fan of the Gold Bug ll's need of constant ground balancing and lack performance in hot ground.

I do own one (A real GB ll not the First Texas model) and use it in very specialized areas, hunting mine dumps and mild shallow ground for the few crumbs left.

Would I trade it for the Pro? No way! The Pro, IMHO is only marginally better than the original GB. (thats only because of the 5" coil on the Pro)

I've tested them side by side in the field and on my test bed. And had a hand in testing the Pro prototype.

Like the others have said the pro is a good all around detector, but in no way should be considered a replacement to the GB ll.

I don't feel you any apology Steve, Ray has made some debatable claims as to the Pro's performance. I thank you for challenging them.

The one consistent thing everyone is saying is the detectors are each better at certain things!

I have a new Gold Bug Pro, an original Gold Bug and a GPX4500 - the main reason is -

They do different things in different conditions!

Under the conditions of limited funds and wanting a GENERAL gold detector

I agree the GB2 would be the first one I would purchase. Then as soon as I could I would buy

the rest.....they are great machines at what they do!

Ray- I join the rest of those who commented, you would be really missed along with your expertise and opinions!

I really enjoy your post and have learned alot, I'm hoping they go on!

Miner49

Ugbomb510,

If you would like to try a Gold Bug Pro before you buy let me know you can use mine....I forgot I also

have a Eureka Gold with a 8" coil you could try as well. PM me if you would like to try it.

Miner49

Thanks NVCHRIS, I was hoping for a reply from Steve or Ray.

There are field tests on individual metal detectors. Also users stating how good their detectors perform compared to others. Such as the GB2 and GBpro. But finally a reasonable reply from Nvchris. Comparison, side by side. How else do others truly know unless under similar or exact conditions on how these detectors perform. It would be in the best interests of Fisher to hold an VLF outing. With the same buried fly poop gold, gold buried under 8" of different type soils or gold buried under hot rocks at 8" depths. To see once and for all of us which model works best for each of us.

Heck we don't even need Fisher. We can deduct these tests ourselves at a future organized outing. I'll even bring my Fisher Goldstrike which has the addition of tracking along with ground balancing.

By putting the bs aside and let the detectors do the talking (beeping).

1324201833' post='61299']

Steve H. & Ray Mills,

I just returned from a short vacation. Catching up on the forums. First Ray, no one has contributed so much to this forum as of late as you do. With your walk threw step by step adventures, please continue.

As users with each of your GB2 and GBPro detectors. Besides luck, gold area of prospecting, often user interface with your detector is paramount in being successful at your game.

A question, not owning a GB2 or GBPro can your detectors detect a small piece of gold 1/3 the size of a rice grain 6" down. Also, can you detect a small nugget 7" down under a hot rock while discriminating and eliminating out that hot rock. While in the discrimination mode. Thus displaying and reading just non-ferrous gold. I recently returned my Fisher Goldstrike detector with 6.5" coil this year back to Fisher for repairs. Felix the supervisor there mentioned that this Goldstrike was an experimental detector seeking a new direction and that it was unique. The above is what I detected. Turning down volume and decreasing threshold still gives superb, quieter results (user interface) while in discrimination mode. Would appreciate your feedback from the comparative depths and results with your machines. Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

Honestly, it is impossible to compare without being in the field comparing. The depths you report are impressive. The Goldstrike is unique in that it operates at 30 kHz among other things. It failed mostly because people were expecting a Gold Bug 3 and it was a radical departure. I did witness one in use make an impressive find at Ganes Creek. Many people were turned off by its performance in certain hot rock locations, like my old mine at Moore Creek. A user there threatened to throw his in the creek due to the constant hot rock signals. But I often wonder about the machine and if a used one at a good price crossed my path I would be tempted. All units have unique strengths in some way and effort will reveal them. The bottom line is the old Fisher was near the end then and it died an early death. So you have a fairly rare and truly unique nugget detector.

Steve Herschbach

Thanks for your reply Steve. In relation to the Fisher GS the volume can be turned down along with the threshold of course. But the GS has a digital display screen. Whether you are in all metal or discrimination mode it still detects the same. Such as a "-" sign in front for ferrous and a "+" sign in front of the number for non-ferrous. Discrimination mode is merely sounding off that second high pitched beep for a non-ferrous target. With that unusal scan of finding a non-ferrous target under a hot rock in discrimination mode.

Next, I have a ML, but here in Colorado hard rock country. I use mostly my VLF for those above ground quartz outcroppings high in the mountains. If there is a truly better VLF out there I want to know from side by side comparisons no matter what make. It would be great for all of us to have that opportunity. Possibly through an outing of some sort.

A good portion of my income is based on my ability to recover gold.

I use the best equipment I can.

Currently, I use a GPX 5000 pulse induction and a Eureka Gold. (with a 6" round coil and an old depth master audio amp)

Never have been a fan of the Gold Bug ll's need of constant ground balancing and lack performance in hot ground.

I do own one (A real GB ll not the First Texas model) and use it in very specialized areas, hunting mine dumps and mild shallow ground for the few crumbs left.

Would I trade it for the Pro? No way! The Pro, IMHO is only marginally better than the original GB. (thats only because of the 5" coil on the Pro)

I've tested them side by side in the field and on my test bed. And had a hand in testing the Pro prototype.

Like the others have said the pro is a good all around detector, but in no way should be considered a replacement to the GB ll.

I don't feel you any apology Steve, Ray has made some debatable claims as to the Pro's performance. I thank you for challenging them.

Hello Chris. As I have said before I have a Eureka Gold with the elipticle coil. You mentioned that you use a 6" round coil on the Eureka. What type of coil are you using?

I am so new to this that I have to ask alot of questions. Hopefully this is not a repeat question.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

The 6" coil I use was made by Minelab for the XT 18000. They no longer make a small coil for there dedicated gold VLF.

If your lucky you may find on on the used market.

Never fear Eureka users rumor (substantiated) has it that a USA coil builder is seriously considering making a small coil like a 3" x 5".

Good Luck Hunting!

Capt. D,

When I bought my Eureka Gold I wasn't very impressed with the stock 10" eliptical (maybe I got a bad one?)

I bought a 8" round new Minelab coil and very pleased with it, major difference. I also added a Doc's treasure screamer with one of his external speakers - works really well.

Chris spoke of the small coils that were for the XT 17000, I've looked and posted WTB request and have not found

one in 4 or 5 months of looking.

Thst's great news if someone is going to manufacturer a 3" x 5" should be very sensitive.

Miner49

• Admin

Hello Steve and All,

Well I read this thread and like others I have my opinions and thoughts since I personally own a Fisher GB2 and used a GB Pro several times (friend owns one). We done some side by side testing, what I seen here in Arizona I wouldn't give up my GB2. The testing and results of what I seen, along with severals others including the GB Pro onwer, could be different on different ground or bedrock.

Overall what I seen and the others confirmed also, was the GB2 was much more sensitive to small gold and actually got better depth. I think both detectors have their place, but if I had to personally choose I wouldn't be selling my GB2 for a Pro.

Also, the GB Pro is cheaper, so that is nice for customers looking to get into something reasonlable. That being said, I don't think Fisher released the GB Pro to out-perform or take over for the GB2.

Wishing you all much luck with either of these two units.

Rob Allison

Hi Bill,

The 6" coil I use was made by Minelab for the XT 18000. They no longer make a small coil for there dedicated gold VLF.

Never fear Eureka users rumor (substantiated) has it that a USA coil builder is seriously considering making a small coil like a 3" x 5".

Good Luck Hunting!

Thanks for the info. I will keep my eyes open for one. Living so far from the gold fields it is hard for me to know what will work best on the Eureka. But I also try to consider that since I live so far from the gold fields and only get to venture out there once a year, I must listen to you fine (lucky) folks who get to hunt for the yellow stuff frequently, Then get the stuff I need before I take my trip. I have found this to be quite expensive. (and hard to explain) I will try to find one of these coils though to be better prepared when I make my trip this April.

Bill

Capt. D,

When I bought my Eureka Gold I wasn't very impressed with the stock 10" eliptical (maybe I got a bad one?)

I bought a 8" round new Minelab coil and very pleased with it, major difference. I also added a Doc's treasure screamer with one of his external speakers - works really well.

Chris spoke of the small coils that were for the XT 17000, I've looked and posted WTB request and have not found

one in 4 or 5 months of looking.

Thst's great news if someone is going to manufacturer a 3" x 5" should be very sensitive.

Miner49

Ok. This 8" coil is it DD or mono?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Good Luck Hunting!

I'll sure be waiting for one.

Bill

Well Gosh-o-gee... As an ex-serviceman... a platoon leader once assigned to Combat Command B, Sixth Armored Division as a combat engineer, stateside at Ft. Leonard Wood; so for me, I could say, the best detector by far is a military landmine or a anti-personnel mine detector.

So, I guess there is no best machine... Depends upon the

situation... <_<:blink:

Well Gosh-o-gee... As an ex-serviceman... a platoon leader once assigned to Combat Command B, Sixth Armored Division as a combat engineer, stateside at Ft. Leonard Wood; so for me, I could say, the best detector by far is a military landmine or a anti-personnel mine detector.

So, I guess there is no best machine... Depends upon the

situation... <_<:blink:

Guess that is true. As a retired corrections capt I figure the Garrett Hand Held wand has kept me and several other officers safe for years. Maybe a different type of metal detector but still used for the same purpose.

Bill

Ok. This 8" coil is it DD or mono?

Bill

It is a DD sensitive yet you can discriminate.

I had to go to a big family function at a local park not long

ago...I took the Eureka just so that I didn't get bored

I was popping quarters, pennys, pull tops at 6" to 7" all day. :D

It is a DD sensitive yet you can discriminate.

I had to go to a big family function at a local park not long

ago...I took the Eureka just so that I didn't get bored

I was popping quarters, pennys, pull tops at 6" to 7" all day. :D

Ok. Thanks

Bill

Hey everyone... such a lot of great information. Seriously...

First: Trinity Ray is one hellava person. He is strong and not carrying any grudge. He is most

knowledgeable regarding the "depth of the throttle"

of the Gold Bug Pro...

Two more thoughts: I field tested the Los Banos Gold Bug 2 for Western & Eastern Treasures; and also the Gold Bug Pro... Apples and oranges... too many variables... Both are a great choice..

Final thought: exporer1 has posted several times about the Fisher Gold Strike... He is very positive

and really understands it... I pretty much agree with him and have done pretty well with mine while using it around Lunker Hill.

Bottom Line: It is not the detector but it is you the user... Now I guess I have sturred up the pot... :closedeyes:<_<:mellow::blush::wacko::lol:

My Best to All... Merry Christmas... keep the faith... Brother Hood.... (and buy my books as great-granddaughter needs money for her dancing lessons...) OL' jim straight (aka tailgate)

Merry Christmas Everyone, Steve don't get sunburnt if you can help it, let us know how you go on the rings and things during your beach time. I managed to score about 30 bucks in coins a week back while the kids hit the play ground, not as much fun as digging up nuggets but it was still fun swinging the detector (E-Trac).

JP

Archived