Recommendations on lightweight prospecting handgun

• Admin

Hello All,

I've been either carrying a 9mm or a lightweight S & W .44 Mag the last couple of years prospecting. Both are a bit bulky, kind of miss my old Ruger .22. Any recommendations on a small, lightweight handgun for prospecting the desert?

Please explain why you recommend a certain model if you would.

Thanks,

Rob Allison

Oh Boy ! Here we go.... :wacko:

Rob a nice light weight 22 sounds great.... I`d be happy with that no problem.

A .44 is way to heavy for detecting ! I carry a Glock 19, ( 9mm ) because it is light, and reliable .They have a lighter subcompact Glock 26 in 9 mm that looks great too :)

Glock 19 weighs 30 oz loaded

Glock 26 weighs 26 oz loaded

I carry two guns ... One is a Davis Derringer .22 Mag with two snake shot, kind of a crappy little gun, but I've killed a few Joes with it from about 8' away ... The other is a Ruger LCP .380 ... I wish they made snake shot for the LCP but, best as I can figure out, they don't ... That little LCP is a sweet gun and weighs only 9.4 oz ...I carry it just in case someone up close doesn't like me... Fits in your hip pocket great ... Cheers, Unc

Try this again for one last time-not posting?

I carried a Glock 45 auto for many years, but too bulky. Usually carried 2 snake loads and the rest hollowpoints. Prospecting isn't the cleanest sport and running amuck in the hills, things get dirty. Once, when I did try to clean it, the clip was jammed due to snake load coming apart.

I hate the report of a .357, but was reminded, if you need it, you won't hear it.I now carry a Taurus 357 5 shot, 2 1/2" revolver. Priced right, good grips so recoil not bad, and accurate up to 25 yards, not bad.Have 2 speed clips, but don't expect to load them fast cause it won't happen, but then it should be seldom needed. Just my opinion.

Shep

yeeee harrrrrrr :P

Good job us Aissies cant carry pistola's around out bush, we're crazy enough as it is

without a side arm.

Most of us do carry a rifle though, not for protection but to pop off a roo or small goat for tucker.

with 243's being the most popular.

Pete

I agree Fred,

I like my SS S&W 686 357 with snake loads and hollow points but when I started swinging the larger

mono coils on the Minelab it was just to much metal signiture even in a shoulder holster.

It made it hard to hunt and recover targets without fighting all the falsing.so I got

an American Deringer model#1 over and under in 45 colt long and 410 shot gun.It will splatter a rattler at 5'

It has a small metal signiture because of its size,very lightweight but it is a bit of a palm bruiser.

Take care out there,AzNuggetBob

Hi Rob,

When looking for a lightweight handgun, there are obvious tradeoffs when you go in that direction.

That being said, carrying a firearm is not a magical guarantee that you will have instant securiity, but it is a step in the right direction. Security is derived from from familiarity of your chosen weapon, and a certain amount of practice to ensure your brain and muscle memory with respect to that weapon will be in sync when you need it the most. (This is from an old guy, obviously...)

A friend of mine who is big into firearms showed me his choice of a light weight handgun, it is a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard revolver, shoots 5 zippy .38+p ammo, weights 14 oz, and has a laser for quick target acquisition. This little revolver pretty much has all a guy would want, firepower, extremely lightweight, can be easily carried and retrieved from a pocket without snagging, (hopefully) due to a thoughtful design of all areas of the firearm that usually can lend to problem draws. It is hammerless, has a nicely designed ramped front sight, in case you don't want to use the laser.

You can find it here, on the S&W website: http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_Y

I also looked at a similar Ruger lightweight revolver, I like Rugers very much, but it had a rather squared rear on the front sight that could very likely snag during a pocket draw, which might be a big problem when you need that protection the most. (Please see Addendum below. before you get your panties wrapped around the axle.)

Semi-autos are fine, but they do weigh more, have more of a chance of failure or issues when going to a gunfight...

Addendum:

(I now need to amend the above statement, having taken a look at the Ruger centerfire revolver website:

http://www.ruger.com...lcr/models.html The Ruger LCR is a very nice looking revolver, NO really objectionable front sight that I could see, must have been some other model).

Having just spoken in the past few minutes with my friend that has the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard, he indicated that the Ruger LCR with laser is considerably more in dollars than the Smith.

Just my dos centavos, sorry it took so long to get it out...

~LARGO~

I carry a Taurus .357 2" stainless snubby. I think it is a 605 model. I load two rounds of snake shot and three rounds of 357. The snake loads for 9mm won't chamber a second round due to reduced powder charge of the snake loads. this pistol is only 5 shots but is small and fairly light to carry. If you are right handed you can get a left handed holster and wear it on your belt on the small of your back, that way it will reduce it's signature to the detector and still be very handy. Chip

Hi Rob,

From all the posts it sounds like most people are loaded more for snakes than a confrontation.I personally have never killed a snake with a gun I always use a rock.I have many pistols and my carry choice is the Kahr 9mm,I bought one for my wife to carry concealed.It is the perfect size for anything you need to do.If I carry it's a glock19.Our gun store here in Camp Verde sells the kahr for $429.00 w/lifetime guarantee.J&G gun sales in Prescott is the best place in Arizona to shop firearms new or used.They stock a lot of police department trade ins at a very reasonable price.I think you'll really like that Kahr in 9mm.J&G also sells the Kahr.If you need snake loads check out the personal protection ammo it will feed in any semi-auto and has multiple projectiles.For the old snake shot you'll need a revolver.Rob if you miss your old ruger 22 get another one.Shooting a pistol is a confidence thing and if you are proficient with it it will do what you need it to do!!!!

Regards

Mike

Rob you did not say why you are carrying and if you want a all around or several

I been carring the taurus judge shoot 410/45LC it a 5 shot first 2 are 410 with 7-1/2 shot for snake last three are 45LC for 2 legged snakes my wife will be carrying it this year bulk but she uses a GB2 so should be ok

my wife carries a LC9 Ruger for conceal carry small light weight for girl hands

I carry a SR9C Ruger a little bit bigger but not crazy full size more for the man hands and concealable

I have also been looking at the Bond Arms derringer interchangable barrels from 22LR to 410 shotgun and almost any thing between comes with a belt holster

Now to carry concealed you HAVE to have a good holster and I found it in n8 tactial ISWB really comfy and hides the weapon really well I went with a orginal soft LOVE IT

no I dont get paid by them but I have 5 other holsters I would be happy to sell 2 guys named Nate (N8) could fime a holster they like so them and the wife make them in the garage and are growing fast

thats my story and I'm sticking to it

Roger

ROBBIE, heres the ticket.

been carryin it for 5 years don't even know its there and it will kick the shit outta either a rattler or larger varmint.

North American Arms Black Widow. All Stainless Steel With interchangeable cylanders .22 and .22 MAG and oversize rubber grips Weighs 263 grams LOADED. I guess that translates to 8 1/2 ounces.

I keep the mag cyl on it with 2 CCI .22 WMR rounds #12 shot 1000 FPS

and 3 .22 Mags holds 5 rounds.

I have taken out bigger rattlers with 1 shot from the WMR rounds. Take a beer can and let loose with 1 of these super snake shots it annihilates the can.

An the .22 Mag cartridges ain't no slouch of a shot either.

Very Nice lil guy to holster or pocket.

Might want to look into the Glock 36, which is specifically designed for concealed carry. It has a polymer frame which reduces weight (20oz empty), and has a slim design to make it more comfortable. Its a big round, .45ACP and only carries 6 +1, but is more than adequate. With a 9mm, you may have to be more concerned with shot placement and may need multiple rounds to be effective on an attacker (there is a lot of debate on this). One .45ACP projectile will have enough knockdown wherever it hits.

I'm a big 38 revolver fan, you can get them cheap and fairly cheap to practice shooting. I have them laying all around the house in case the need shows up. The one that goes into my holster mounted on my detector harness is a stainless colt detective special with a messed up finish, I got it really cheap. Not lightweight but functions no matter how dusty it gets.

PS a 357 is a better caliber but the only one I have is to big to carry.

Well...while I admitted to carrying a gun, I have come to realize that I am unlikely to get to use it when I am sleeping or detecting...In a direct confrontation I likely could...but my pick is much more convenient when up close and personal...when I am in the zone the world could end and I might not notice...

I have not killed a snake for over forty years. If I see them I can walk around, if I don't see them then they didn't bother me...

fred

Rob

You asked for it you got it it is like asking on here what is the best MD or coil now you know what us rookies felt like asking about MDing

you have 22lr to 50cal

pistol to shotgun

If you want I will ride shotgun for you to your secret patches and I will not tell a sole where they are but I can only ride once to each after that I will be to busy MDing

let us know what you decide on getting

then we all can make comments about the fact that you choose the wrong one

that will be fun to start another one of these question they are a blast and gets everyone talking

Roger

Always like the idea of the Bond Arms derringer, but didn't know it could interchange barrels; gotta look into that, being from CA ;-)

Shep

the snake slayer is the way to go, comes in 22mag thru 410/45lc

barrels interchange by unscrewing the hinge bolt "takes seconds"

very leathal for 2 legged snakes also.

Archived