Ok guys and Girls What is it?

Hey Guys thanks for joining in, it was fun.

Ron The guys in the silver suits probably wanted it to rape and pillage the patches on other planets. :ph34r: Why do you think Nasa is wasting so much money sending probes to Mars! have you seen the red dirt there. Its the gold nuggets their after! :D

Old Tom, it steers just like a dozer by applying power or brakes to each individual track. with two control levers that are in the back. I used to ride in it while standing in the front or walk behind it. I was going to move the controls up to the front so I could sit and drive it but never did. it had three speeds, forward and one reverse. first gear was very low range with lots of power from I think a ten horse motor. It topped out at about 20 mph. fun to ride in the up sandy washes but rough on rocks. I made the blade from 1/4" thick pipe with real cutting edge welded on. the pitch was adjustable. I used it to scrape off weeds, small bushes,rocks in patches or sand overburden in washes. It dug well on softer ground so I added removable weights to the blade to help it dig in hard ground. just like an old cable dozer. Once your in a patch or wash just removing rocks and weeds and a few inches of dirt can make all the difference swinging and you are removing a hot rock surface concentration, whoops just let another Jeanie out of the bottle.

I hauled it on a small trailer or on the back of my van or pickup. It just fit between the wheel wells.

Pete

I'll bet you could make a killing over there in Australia with one of these. you could push off that ironstone cap and get a lot more depth with your mono's. run in fixed with the gain almost cranked!

Take care guys AzNuggetBob

Pete thats exactly what Jimmy and I did around Az. and Nv. we were dozing Big time and hired nugget hunters to walk behind the D-8 or D-9 dozer and pick up the easy nuggets, but realized in some areas we were leaving behind a lot of small gold so we ran some of it through a wash plant. but keep in mind some areas with big gold dont have a lot of small gold. it has washed further down. AzNuggetBob

Now the pictures are there. I am not sure what it is, but it is similar to a little Struck Dozer that I have been restoring.

I have all the attachemnts that came with it. A front blade that is adjustable for height and angle, a disker, and a single ripper. I have the hood, but don't have it on in this pitcure. I did put a cheep harbor freight motor in it, but still have the original tecumsa that I will eventually try and rebuild. I put all new belts and pulleys in it. The only thing left to finish are the track chains and cleats. It has been sitting for 2 years just waiting for me to put them on and take it out. It just looks so nice, I don't know if I want to get it dirty!

post-694-0-75610400-1346781437_thumb.jpg

Hey Ron A monkey butt polisher? :lol:

A Mule, maybe?.

They didnt make very many of these..here is a couple things I forgot about it. It had some weird brackets on the back

and I thought it was for hauling something too.

according to the photo I found online several years ago It originaly had a steal seat like a tractor seat on the back, which would fit with the controls and it was removable. it just kind of hung on there.

the original also had full side pannels, mine had apparently been cut down at about a 45% angle.

I know someone else that had one, anybody remember Gavin? out of Wickenburg. I think their were two companies making them

back around the 1940-50's or his was a very different model?

Gavin's was simular but different in several ways.I never found a maker mark or tag on mine.just the motor maker.Wisconson I believe.

The transmission was completly custom machined, oil bath about the size of a large truck starter..

I know I blew reverse out of it and had to fix it and this is what started my search for more info on it.

AzNuggetBob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived