what I have dug lately

I have gone out exploring the great gold country here in northern CA. So far no gold with the detector but having fun learning and digging. I love seeing all the great finds everyone posts, so I figured I would share some of my finds too..lol

post-48829-0-65245200-1350234661_thumb.j

post-48829-0-48418200-1350234674_thumb.j

post-48829-0-54192400-1350234685_thumb.j

post-48829-0-66291600-1350234703_thumb.j

I think I need to get a 4x4, put my 66 mustang up for sale on craigs, its a project that has been prepped for paint 3000.00 or trade for 4x4. Had my poor little Kia Soul out some good dirt roads, even had a jeep cherokee tell me, howed you get that car down here and you know I am going to have to pull you out. Nope I can wheel a 2x4, made it out no probs just had to get out and spot a couple spots and do some brush removal to save the clear coat.

So whats your favorite ride for hauling prospecting gear and gettin into the good spots? Also how do you haul your detector..ie.custom hard case or strap it in the back seat, do you carry/hike it to the spot ready or disassembled? Thanks

Hey Gravelwasher keep at it, You are in one of my favorite places to find gold! When it comes to a 4x4 get something cheap to work on. I beat the hell out of my truck getting in some places out this way, I use a ford exploder with heavy duty running gear 6 inch lift and 35 inch bfg tires. As for the detector I always leave it assembled and it rides shotgun and I carry it in on my shoulder because you might see some juicy ground on the way!

Good Luck,

Justin.

Thanks for the tips Justin, will keep at it.

Treasure huntin Kelly sorry to hear your digging the same, I know the law of averages will come in to play and soon we will find the miracle nugget.

If your finding those small pieces of metal in the 4th photo...you will find gold. Just have to get the coil over it

I just finished up skunk #3 today...but boy did I clean up the desert! :)

I like my little 87 4runner. Cheap on gas, and the suspension is really beefy.

I put my detector in the back and it bounces all over the place on the steel bed.....NOT!...I put it in the back but always have blankets underneigth the control box and the coil.

Tom H.

Tom, I really lean towards the toyotas, had a 87 xtra cab 4x4 as my first vehicle. Would jump on an early 4runner for sure when funds avail. Super happy with the depth and size target my gp3000 hits on, even with the big wallaby coil, only used the wallaby so far. Most of the time here in the Placerville area its about where you can go vs where you want to go per private property.

Tom, I really lean towards the toyotas, had a 87 xtra cab 4x4 as my first vehicle. Would jump on an early 4runner for sure when funds avail. Super happy with the depth and size target my gp3000 hits on, even with the big wallaby coil, only used the wallaby so far. Most of the time here in the Placerville area its about where you can go vs where you want to go per private property.

You could also maybe set yourself up with a older quad and a trailer, vs buying another vehicle

Tom H.

I've got a '93 xtra cab Toy that I take out when I want to play. Unfortunately (like you), living in Northern California it's all about finding a place to go that's not already taken, or on private property. I went out this past weekend to a spot up in the hills that I thought looked promising on the map, only to find when I got there that there were mining claim signs posted everywhere I walked, even after hiking up a river for about 45 minutes. Sucks driving for over an hour to get to a spot, only to find out you can't do anything once you get there. Kinda' jealous of these guys who have vast expanses of Arizona desert to play in.

Blue, I know what it's like, dosent surprise me that near any water you will find claims. I guess technically speaking if it were a placer claim you could detect for some load gold if the geology is good for it. Not positive so check before doing it, just saying dosent have to be a total waste you can still hike around fish and swim, just dont disturb any au.