Which detector is for me?

My name is Ray,

Winters in Montana are cold and long, I want to thank all of you guys (and gals) who have contributed to this forum,

sharing your knowledge and experiences over the years during those winters! :)

Your tips on how to increase my finds in the field have really helped (thank you Rob Allison!)

I am not new to detecting, I have owned many detectors, VLF and Pi machines (Minelabs). I recently sold my

GPX 4000 and am looking to upgrade to a used GPX 4800 or the 5000. I have not used the 4500,

but in my experience of upgrading from the 3000 to the 4000, I noticed the pronounced difference in “sharpness”
of signals from small gold and it took some mental adjusting.

As I read about the new “SETA” technology, I understand about the greater adjustment for ground types,

quieter and more stable threshold, and a even greater signal response, but I do not understand the difference

between the 4800 and 5000 (besides cost and 1 coil) if the only technology difference is the “2 additional
timings”.

The ability to detect quieter in more heavily mineralized ground sounds like a plus. But in my own experience

with the 4000, the “Sensitive smooth” was never a benefit in my areas, in fact, for me it seemed “noisier” (I don’t
understand how that could be possible?).

I have never needed a DD coil, but the ground IS mineralized and the PI is the only way to go compared

to the VLF. But is there another advantage in buying a 5000 over the 4800? It is not so much the cost

difference for me, but being able to choose either one, the best "used package” I can get
is my goal. And If the 4800 is as good as the 5000 for my needs (medium mineralization and EMI),

then I have a larger and more affordable selection of choices.

My concern is, “Do the other settings in the "5000" help only in very difficult places, or are they actually going

to improve my detecting experience overall?” Is there something about the "5000" that makes it a better overall

machine?

When I have a better understanding of my “options”, then I
will post a WTB.

Thank you!

Ray

firstly, I am biased.

I have owned vlf's, a 3500, a 4000, a 4500 and presently own a 5000.

The 5000 is, hands down the best machine for all round gold prospecting.

It works very well in mineralized soil too.

I have no knowledge of the 4800 and I have never heard of anyone who even owns one,

not that that means too much, but I really think if you are thinking of a 4800 you might as well

do what it seems most other people did, get a 5000.

Good luck with your choice.

I also own a 5000 & have actually used a 4800 which in my opinion is more of a dressed up 4500 then a dressed down 5000. I havnt seen many prospectors using the 4800 in west aust as most of the people are in the same mind as Flakmagnet....if your spending that much money anyway you may as well go for the latest and greatest.

In my own opinion the first batch of 5000's are not a good as subsequent batches....thats just my opinion and that of a couple of others that owned one of the first 5000's sold and have then since sold it and purchased another 5000 and noticed it working better(of course its more of a feeling then anything else)

But im also one of those silly people that think that not all 5000's are created equal and some machines just work better then others...i know it sounds crazy & im prob one of the only ones that thinks that way....but i am a funny fellow! lol

So to end...go the 5000! you wont look back & you also wont wonder whether you should have bought the 4800....if you bought the 4800 you will always have in the back of your mind...would the 5000 be better...

my 2 cents spend it as you wish

Go for the 5k the 2 additional timings are worth it alone, fine gold realy stands out in the field. I hunt an area where the iron stone is very pure and abundent it makes up 50% of the gravvel, even the 4500 had problems in this canyon. In fine gold Only the largest purest pieces create a good sounding signal, a big step for Minelab.

carms

I do think 5000's like cars and so many other machines

that do have 'batches' that are better than the general run.

I also have nothing more to base this on than a feeling

and the impression that my 5000 seems to be exceptionally good even though it was one of the earlier ones.

Not meaning to hijack the thread

but it would be interesting to hear what other Minelab owners think of this supposition.

I've got a feeling that your feeling is just a feeling.

I think the small savings on the purchase of a 4800 would be lost if the unit was ever sold. The 4800 is a non-detector if there ever was one. Most dealers have never stocked or sold one as almost anybody with enough money to buy a 4800 automatically opts for a 5000. The GPX 5000 will hold value much better than the 4800. Just my opinion.

Steve Herschbach

Thank you to all who offered your advice. I decided on the GPX5000, it is barely used for a good price.

It came with the 18" Nuggetfinder coil and Doc's Screamer pack. $4900

But we ran into a problem, but our friend Rob Allison solved our problem, and the deal is completed! :)

I post have posted the story under "A True Friend".